Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure where to post this but NHL players doing cocaine sure didn't start with Nuke

I was just reading this John Kordic article...it was common in the 80's and teams/coaches were looking the other way back then too:

6cdA2Z8.png

That's one sad picture. Kordic (died at 27) with Fogarty (died at 32)

r7oQKpZ.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm torn on the Edmonton footage. On the one hand I've spent a lot of my life imagining what it would be like winning the Stanley Cup, and imagining what it would be like seeing various Avalanche players winning the Stanley Cup. If I was in a dressing room that lost game 7 in the finals I'd probably need to be physically restrained for my own wellbeing. From that perspective, it's easy to watch that and sympathise with what they must have been feeling.

On the other hand, I've watched it three times and I can't stop sniggering.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Yeah, Vegas also had, I'm not sure what the word is, but they came into being right during that massive shooting at the outdoor concert. The castoffs from other teams coming together in Las Vegas and then immediately reaching out to the community during that time impressed me.

I actually like the way they are so aggressive, but I wonder how I'd feel as a fan of the team when favorites get shipped out frequently. It's all in the name of trying to win, but I also like stability and the chance for a TEAM to grow rather than just be mercenaries.
I also think this is a factor. The city had just gone through that horrific event and when the Knights started to show real competitiveness the city had a cathartic positive to focus on.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H Just want to make your day buddy

I should add, though even before this prior season started, I expect(ed) them to win a Cup within the next 5-7 years. So, I think they inevitably get one.

Not sure where to post this but NHL players doing cocaine sure didn't start with Nuke

I was just reading this John Kordic article...it was common in the 80's and teams/coaches were looking the other way back then too:

6cdA2Z8.png

r7oQKpZ.jpeg
Cocaine and chewing tobacco are hugely popular in the NHL. You wouldn't believe the amount of chew players do.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I thought that was a pretty good off season topic from the Hockey Guy on Youtube :laugh:

What makes him yell at the TV during a game.

#8 and #9 are two BIG pet peeves of mine with #4 not too far behind.

KwAZ2k3.png

If I had to pick only one I'd say #9 is the worst. Yeah, they can f*** right off with their f***ing interviews during the play.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The second that deal was inked, it was a bad deal. He was never good here, he had Makar dragging him around making his +/- stat look so good. NJ saw the same thing we did, and even being paired with John Marino didn't fool them.
Graves is a strange type of comlimentary piece. He's capable of playing with better players than himself, but he never should have been paid anything approaching the salary of players he was playing with. He was always the weak link on his pair here. I wish him well, and mostly enjoyed his stay with us but I'm not exactly pinning for the old days wtih Graves and Guenin.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

6cdA2Z8.png

r7oQKpZ.jpeg
Fogarty showing up to practice drunk out of his mind and was still the best player according to Sundin. Wild shit.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kinda offtopic, but how would NHL players, fans and media like a stunt like this (considering the stuff with Babcock and whatnot)?
GUcYADiWgAA8AJ2.jpg

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If Graves was as good as he thought he is he'd be unstoppable.
I actually don't think Graves has an elevated sense of his abilities, I think he ends up looking like he does simply because he doesn't see the options. For example, his tendency to shoot even when there are better options isn't because he thinks he's Al MacInnis, it's because he doesn't see the other options and views shooting the puck as safer than giving it away with a bad pass (even though the giveaway does happen quite often).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually don't think Graves has an elevated sense of his abilities, I think he ends up looking like he does simply because he doesn't see the options. For example, his tendency to shoot even when there are better options isn't because he thinks he's Al MacInnis, it's because he doesn't see the other options and views shooting the puck as safer than giving it away with a bad pass (even though the giveaway does happen quite often).
Agreed. Way different levels but I play with a guy like this on my men's league team. His heart is always in the right place, he goes all out for the team defensively but with the puck it's a nightmare.

He ends up doing endless stops and cutbacks to avoid pressure because he genuinely does not see where his teammates are and/or does not feel confident enough to get the puck to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad