Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Agreed. Way different levels but I play with a guy like this on my men's league team. His heart is always in the right place, he goes all out for the team defensively but with the puck it's a nightmare.

He ends up doing endless stops and cutbacks to avoid pressure because he genuinely does not see where his teammates are and/or does not feel confident enough to get the puck to them.
Huh... that's funny. I know another guy exactly like that. He told everyone that he was trying to get better, but they pretty much just laughed and told me to have fun and keep moving my feet.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Huh... that's funny. I know another guy exactly like that. He told everyone that he was trying to get better, but they pretty much just laughed and told me to have fun and keep moving my feet.
Yeah, it's tough to play with because he's such a stay at home defensive guy who does whatever for us to win.

Last game he was my D partner and was being forechecked hard on the left side. All he had to do was get to the puck and chip it across to me for a quick outlet. Instead he tried go stop, spin the other way and put it to the boards where he thought his winger was. He told me on the bench "I genuinely did not consider you an option because I didn't think I could backhand it to you."

He kills me.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, it's tough to play with because he's such a stay at home defensive guy who does whatever for us to win.

Last game he was my D partner and was being forechecked hard on the left side. All he had to do was get to the puck and chip it across to me for a quick outlet. Instead he tried go stop, spin the other way and put it to the boards where he thought his winger was. He told me on the bench "I genuinely did not consider you an option because I didn't think I could backhand it to you."

He kills me.
Trust me, I am positive he is appreciative of the fact that you allow him to play.

I never would have dreamed that I would actually start learning to skate and play the game after I turned 50, but here we are. I have no delusions of grandeur though; I suck and know it but am thankful my group of friends like me and allow me to participate.

Are you playing in an organized beer league? The group I skate with just reserves local outdoor ice-time once a week and it's more about exercise and trash talking than anything competitive. We've got quite a bit of outdoor ice in the area though, so I can skate and practice on my own pretty much 8 months out of the year (as long as it's -20F or warmer, I'm a wuss these days). The big C finally caught up and started limiting my playing time around February. My stamina just started to decrease a bit but the amount of time it took me to recover between shifts skyrocketed. The good news though is that this winter I really noticed that my skating had improved a ton from being a newbie/bambi just starting two years ago. I'd never have been fast, but everything feels really fluid and natural and nobody's giving me pointers and tips anymore so I must be doing something well there. My shot though....Sometimes I still have to question whether I'm truly left-handed or not . *LOL*

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Trust me, I am positive he is appreciative of the fact that you allow him to play.

I never would have dreamed that I would actually start learning to skate and play the game after I turned 50, but here we are. I have no delusions of grandeur though; I suck and know it but am thankful my group of friends like me and allow me to participate.

Are you playing in an organized beer league? The group I skate with just reserves local outdoor ice-time once a week and it's more about exercise and trash talking than anything competitive. We've got quite a bit of outdoor ice in the area though, so I can skate and practice on my own pretty much 8 months out of the year (as long as it's -20F or warmer, I'm a wuss these days). The big C finally caught up and started limiting my playing time around February. My stamina just started to decrease a bit but the amount of time it took me to recover between shifts skyrocketed. The good news though is that this winter I really noticed that my skating had improved a ton from being a newbie/bambi just starting two years ago. I'd never have been fast, but everything feels really fluid and natural and nobody's giving me pointers and tips anymore so I must be doing something well there. My shot though....Sometimes I still have to question whether I'm truly left-handed or not . *LOL*
I organize once a week shinny hockey that like you said is about exercise and trash talking. We also play in a fairly competitive league with some current/former junior A players. All season long the guy has been telling me "holy man this speed is too much" but to his credit he keeps on battling.

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I organize once a week shinny hockey that like you said is about exercise and trash talking. We also play in a fairly competitive league with some current/former junior A players. All season long the guy has been telling me "holy man this speed is too much" but to his credit he keeps on battling.
I really admire that effort. I'm pretty sure I'd never have even gotten to where I am today if I had to sign up for anything more formal than what we've got going. There's just too big of a line between getting a workout with friends and trying to learn to actually play vs actually trying to beat another team in a competition. Which means, I'm more than content to stay on the shinny side of things.

Reactions: dahrougem2

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know about y'all, but if I was a TML fan, I think all of my worries would now be taken care of. This was the move that has been holding them back! :sarcasm:

Reactions: BaconNater

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m so confused. What was the intent here?
Here's the full image.

He didn't forget to swich account, he was talking to Ullmark but replied to his own post to do it.

WDplWaR.jpeg

They face each other on November 21:

4vwjjkn.png

Here's why Samsonov is mad at Ullmark:

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rylan Masterson becoming the Jean-Marc Bosman of Canadian junior hockey?

Union Royale Belge des Sociétés de Football Association ASBL v Jean-Marc Bosman (1995) C-415/93 (known as the Bosman ruling)[1] is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision concerning freedom of movement for workers, freedom of association, and direct effect of article 39[2] (now article 45 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union) of the Treaty of Rome.

The case was an important decision on the free movement of labour and had a profound effect on the transfers of footballers—and by extension players of other professional sports—within the European Union (EU).

The decision banned restrictions on foreign EU players within national leagues and allowed players in the EU to move to another club at the end of a contract without a transfer fee being paid.

Reactions: arun

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This will get settled and lead to CHL eligibility. The talks have been happening for a couple years now, this will just finalize it.

That said, this rule was always VERY clear. I attended a WHL camp back in the day and the coaches wanted to play me in an exhibition game despite not even having a contract offer... which I had to refuse. Lead to some drama and exiting the camp. If you're at all interested in NCAA hockey, the USHL and NCAA make this abundantly clear that you cannot even suit up for a game. You can go to camp and participate in practice (though only have so much of your expenses covered), but could never take part in any game. Masterson had to be well aware of that, and took his chances. When he simply wasn't good enough to stick, it hurt his path drastically. He got advised poorly.

(also... he's not really good enough to get a ton of D1 offers. Maybe from a low level team and even then I have doubts he'd be any good. The lawyers did some good shopping here to find a plaintiff)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Masterson had to be well aware of that, and took his chances. When he simply wasn't good enough to stick, it hurt his path drastically. He got advised poorly.
Maybe, but good on him if he's the one who officially gets that stupid ruling out. Like I posted above, Jean-Marc Bosman was pretty much a nothing footballer too. Yet him going to court had massive implications on European football and professional sports in general. Totally changed the landscape of contracts and even league demographics (by removing restrictions on foreign players).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe, but good on him if he's the one who officially gets that stupid ruling out. Like I posted above, Jean-Marc Bosman was pretty much a nothing footballer too. Yet him going to court had massive implications on European football and professional sports in general. Totally changed the landscape of contracts and even league demographics (by removing restrictions on foreign players).
It was 100% shopping by the lawyers. Finding a situation like this and getting a kid who is willing to play ball. Most kids in this situation just simply move on when they realize they aren't good enough.

That said, this will only improve the NCAA product. Schools like Lindenwood will soak up a bunch of overagers who might get AHL deals otherwise and use age to their advantage against the schools who are grabbing the top talent.

I do think this will end up hurting the CHL and USHL in the long run. The USHL impact is obvious, one of the big bargaining chips they had over the CHL was that they'd give access to the best development system in the world (where results are very clear). The CHL... it is going to come down to their own contracts. If kids have to wait 4 years before going to the NCAA and getting paid there (which even for Canadians is coming), they'll be less likely to sign up for that term. If they can get down to 2 years and go over to the NCAA... then players will utilize the CHL, but they'll lose the 19/20 year old quality in the league.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Uhm, how?

I don't really see either the USHL or the CHL benefiting from this. But it does benefit the players immensely.
CHL pays players, but USHL and BCHL do not.

Now, junior players can play in the CHL, get paid, and then have the opportunity to play in a significant development league in the NCAA, getting a legit college degree at a decent university. This move helps smaller schools like Union, Lake Superior State, Bemidji State, Vermont, etc., which can now attract good CHL talent to continue their hockey journey.

USHL and BCHL teams will be considered a secondary option for the likes of players who are on non-USNTDP clubs. For example, why go to Youngstown Phantoms when a decent, talented player can go to Owen Sound, play against good competition, get money, and still keep his college commitment to Michigan State, you know? There are still roles, and the issue of being in the top 6 for a team like the Victoria Grizzlies is better than being in a bottom six role for the Vancouver Giants, but in terms of incentives, this is a win for the CHL because now they can become the major junior feeder system for the NCAA. CHL might lose players earlier, but there is a good chance that they will attract more top non-Canadian talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
CHL pays players, but USHL and BCHL do not.

Now, junior players can play in the CHL, get paid, and then have the opportunity to play in a significant development league in the NCAA, getting a legit college degree at a decent university. This move helps smaller schools like Union, Lake Superior State, Bemidji State, Vermont, etc., which can now attract good CHL talent to continue their hockey journey.

USHL and BCHL teams will be considered a secondary option for the likes of players who are on non-USNTDP clubs. For example, why go to Youngstown Phantoms when a decent, talented player can go to Owen Sound, play against good competition, get money, and still keep his college commitment to Michigan State, you know? There are still roles, and the issue of being in the top 6 for a team like the Victoria Grizzlies is better than being in a bottom six role for the Vancouver Giants, but in terms of incentives, this is a win for the CHL because now they can become the major junior feeder system for the NCAA. CHL might lose players earlier, but there is a good chance that they will attract more top non-Canadian talent.
Ah, a bit more complicated than I initially thought.

Well, I'm all for increased player movement across any sport, any league so I still like it.

This made laugh a bit
1.png

Reactions: S E P H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad