Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Avs once our top prosepct Nabokov arrives in Denver the following season. Keep your eyes peeled Avs fans.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah hopefully Georgiev f***s off
Georgiev will be the starter for what could very well be the last legit shot at the cup. If Rants gets a ~4M raise the next season, combined with the aging core, it's pretty much over.

Unless of course we trade for Askarov and he turns into a 23 yo Carey Price who can carry the team on his back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If I'm thinking of the right person then Dellow is the original obnoxious spreadsheet twitter nerd. Absolutely unbearable back in the day.
tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh man Dellow was INSUFFERABLE on Twitter. Guy could say something completely, factually incorrect and he'd argue it to the death about why he's correct.

I can't imagine working alongside that guy. I'd want to punch him out daily.
That guy even managed to piss off more than a few people in the analytics community. If nothing else people should be grateful that so long as he continues to be employed by an NHL team, he won’t make his way back onto social media. :laugh:

Reactions: dahrougem2

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You can call him a cap dump, sure. If he's past his mental health issues, though, he's capable of being a PPG player. To get him for Jordan Harris is a huge win if it works out.
I don't really think too much about his mental health specifically, just if he's able to stay healthy overall. He hasn't been healthy since his 2nd season in the NHL. Some of those are freak injuries, but still.

If he's healthy, he's a PPG forward. A lot of people just think about his goalscoring, but he's just as good at passing. Maybe even better. And while he wasn't great defensively in Columbus, he certainly wasn't lazy. A lot of the Columbus fans actually thought he was one of the hardest working skaters on ice, first to backcheck and whatnot. He has a reputation that doesn't really match current day TBH.

I have a feeling this will be a steal for Montreal. Even if Laine is somehow completely cooked, they are not exactly a top contender and the deal is for 2 years. They can take the risk.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't want to judge or guess as to the nature of what his mental illness is.

From that outside watching him though, I've always seen Wojtek Wolski. I man who could be a top 15 player in the league if he gave half a shit. Just tremendous skill, but I don't think either really care for playing in the NHL. I think they like playing, I think they like the prestige of the NHL and the paychecks of the NHL, but I don't believe Wolski wanted to put in the work necessary to be a best and Laine is following that pattern.

Tremendously talented player. If he could get anything similar in Europe, he would be wise to go be a hero some place rather than turning into a heel here.

Reactions: Bender

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just listened to the Laine presser..when asked if he wanted to go back to scoring 30 goals a year he said no I don’t, I want to go back to 40 or 50. He said he did it before and it didn’t happen by accident.

Also said that he much prefers to play under pressure in a big market.

It’s easy to say all the right things in a presser but he did sound very mature and at the right place mentally.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just listened to the Laine presser..when asked if he wanted to go back to scoring 30 goals a year he said no I don’t, I want to go back to 40 or 50. He said he did it before and it didn’t happen by accident.

Also said that he much prefers to play under pressure in a big market.

It’s easy to say all the right things in a presser but he did sound very mature and at the right place mentally.
I just don't know you can be expected to blossom under the pressure of a big market when the dim lights of Columbus were too much for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad