Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Budaj was basically replaced with Frankie though, right?

No. Boods was a goalie coach/development guy. Frankie is a goalie scout.

Interestingly enough, of the four former players they brought in for "player development", only Brian Willsie remains. Brett Clark, Steven Reinprecht, and now Peter Budaj are all gone.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No. Boods was a goalie coach/development guy. Frankie is a goalie scout.

Interestingly enough, of the four former players they brought in for "player development", only Brian Willsie remains. Brett Clark, Steven Reinprecht, and now Peter Budaj are all gone.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew Frankie joined this summer so I guess that's why I was thinking he was the Peter's replacement.

As for the player development title...is that just a liason between the player and the team between when they get drafted and signed? Or do they actually do development and skill-based training with the player one on one as well?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Didn't realize the Ducks hired Peter Budaj until I heard Greg Cronin on an NHLN interview yesterday.

Kinda weird the Avs had a goalie development coach and then the one year they actually make a concerted effort to bolster the prospect pool in that regard, he leaves.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Mikko Rantanen's old team TPS now employs both AVS LEGEND Adam Werner and JC Beaudin. I imagine this is big news to the Avs fans here who live in the Turku area.
FIFY. Werner's shutout is one of my favorite regular season Avs moments of all time.

Reactions: dahrougem2

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Skimming through all of our threads I've read a lot of different takes on Vegas. I really don't know much about the community/town outside of having gone to conferences all along the strip over the years for business.

But is the majority of the fan base honest to god Las Vegans, or is it really supplemented by tourists (like all of the Avs games at the Ball where they host Chicago).

Also, is it Las Vegans? That almost sounds like they don't eat meat and I've seen those buffets. Nobody in Las Vegas has a thing against meat.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Skimming through all of our threads I've read a lot of different takes on Vegas. I really don't know much about the community/town outside of having gone to conferences all along the strip over the years for business.

But is the majority of the fan base honest to god Las Vegans, or is it really supplemented by tourists (like all of the Avs games at the Ball where they host Chicago).

Also, is it Las Vegans? That almost sounds like they don't eat meat and I've seen those buffets. Nobody in Las Vegas has a thing against meat.
It is Las Vegans (pronounced VAY-gans).

I think the vast majority of the fanbase are people who live in the areas. Yeah you have visitors and people seeing games that way, but being the first major professional franchise galvanized the area to the fandom and became the primary team of the people who live there. Vegas, just like Denver, is a heavily transplant city... just they didn't have something already there, they gained from it it and galvanized. Whereas the Avs have been around for a long time now and people moving from Chicago just tend to stay Chicago fans.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It is Las Vegans (pronounced VAY-gans).

I think the vast majority of the fanbase are people who live in the areas. Yeah you have visitors and people seeing games that way, but being the first major professional franchise galvanized the area to the fandom and became the primary team of the people who live there. Vegas, just like Denver, is a heavily transplant city... just they didn't have something already there, they gained from it it and galvanized. Whereas the Avs have been around for a long time now and people moving from Chicago just tend to stay Chicago fans.
Yeah, Vegas also had, I'm not sure what the word is, but they came into being right during that massive shooting at the outdoor concert. The castoffs from other teams coming together in Las Vegas and then immediately reaching out to the community during that time impressed me.

I actually like the way they are so aggressive, but I wonder how I'd feel as a fan of the team when favorites get shipped out frequently. It's all in the name of trying to win, but I also like stability and the chance for a TEAM to grow rather than just be mercenaries.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
It’s too bad Vegas has been one of the Avs biggest rivals in this contention window - they’d be a lot easier to like if they weren’t as they have done some really nice things in that market since coming in.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That sucks, he was a great defenceman when he was able to play.

Here is the full report:
I'm surprised Nabokov is 3rd on the goalie list - beating out Vasilevskiey, Sorokin, Kochetkov, Georgiev, and Varly. Kind of makes me question these lists, but I guess Russian media isn't immune to the 'what have you done for me lately' train of thought.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I'm surprised Nabokov is 3rd on the goalie list - beating out Vasilevskiey, Sorokin, Kochetkov, Georgiev, and Varly. Kind of makes me question these lists, but I guess Russian media isn't immune to the 'what have you done for me lately' train of thought.
I'm sure it's more like a patriotic thing where you want to select some KHL players instead of just the players in North America

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Chicago apparently has a TON of fair weather fans. 10 years ago Ball was 50% cherry red for Hawks games, but the last few Hawks games I've been at they're less than 10% of the crowd. Even Bedard's Denver debut didn't attract a large number of Hawks jerseys.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Chicago apparently has a TON of fair weather fans. 10 years ago Ball was 50% cherry red for Hawks games, but the last few Hawks games I've been at they're less than 10% of the crowd. Even Bedard's Denver debut didn't attract a large number of Hawks jerseys.
That's good to hear!!

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Edmonton Oilers locker room after losing Game 7 of the SCF
archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, no shit. You remember what Patty said about Chicago? Then they magically appear in Denver around the Cup wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad