Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Without trying to get political, ^ dude might be the only person more .gif worthy than St. Patrick. I mean this with absolutely no endorsement or disrespect intended. Just classic gif after gif no matter the occasion.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Mat Ishbia, the owner of the Phoneix Suns publically announced that he wants to bring back the Coyotes "one day." Since @henchman21 knows the owners, would this work under Ishbia? Would he be the best owner they ever had? A lot of his comments seemed to be functioning around getting a new arena and I wonder if this is partially a helping hand to secure taxpayer funds?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So Mat Ishbia, the owner of the Phoneix Suns publically announced that he wants to bring back the Coyotes "one day." Since @henchman21 knows the owners, would this work under Ishbia? Would he be the best owner they ever had? A lot of his comments seemed to be functioning around getting a new arena and I wonder if this is partially a helping hand to secure taxpayer funds?

Reactions: dahrougem2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Ishiba has his own issues, but yeah he’d be the best owner by a mile… and it is the way to get back into Phoenix. Expect early 2030s on this.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Underreported hockey news from the weekend. A 26 player cap would limit reserves. It isn't as huge of cut as this guy is stating (DU had 27 last year, BU has 29 for reference), but it certainly will cause some crunch on the top rosters. As a flip the scholarships have increased. This will likely benefit the top schools the most. They get more scholarships to play with and the reserves are much less likely to transfer with less seats. Don't want to get left in the cold like Buyalski.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was reading an article earlier today and somebody asked Dahatschek about head injuries and he brought up Ken Dryden's proposal from years ago. How do folks around here feel about it? The general gist was that all hits to the head are penalized regardless of whether or not it is the primary point of contact. 2 minutes I believe.

I like the general idea behind it, but really would not trust the current NHL in writing or implementing it.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
When will the Avs get their Michkov or Demidov draft pick? We have been trying to draft Kovalenko and some other Russian players. When will we hit the jackpot for once?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I was reading an article earlier today and somebody asked Dahatschek about head injuries and he brought up Ken Dryden's proposal from years ago. How do folks around here feel about it? The general gist was that all hits to the head are penalized regardless of whether or not it is the primary point of contact. 2 minutes I believe.

I like the general idea behind it, but really would not trust the current NHL in writing or implementing it.
Simple to implement and doesn't take away from anything. Could do it very easily.

When will the Avs get their Michkov or Demidov draft pick? We have been trying to draft Kovalenko and some other Russian players. When will we hit the jackpot for once?
You mean draft picks #5 and #7?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Simple to implement and doesn't take away from anything. Could do it very easily.

You mean draft picks #5 and #7?
For me the two biggest sticking points:
1. Video review could completely screw it up from day one if allowed, and....yeah, I can't see them not allowing it (if this is truly being done in the name of player safety).
2. Coaches low tolerance for PIMs leading to even more physicality being coached out of the game. While I'm glad active sticks, skating and positioning are now more important than just knocking a guy into last week, I don't want to see all physicality reduced...just head trauma. I'd hate for the game to turn into soccer or basketball.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So we're going to start punishing tall players now with that rule? Most headshots that happen in the game nowadays are either from players who are really tall or the player with the puck was reaching and too far bent over. Very rarely do we see the Matt Cooke trash that we saw maybe 6-7 years ago. It still happens, don't get me wrong, but not as much now.

Soccer and basketball are interesting sports that people like to follow.

As opposed to hockey.
Nah, they're cheap sports that everyone knows about.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Portzline on the upcoming Laine trade: Anaheim or Carolina, with Montreal an outside shot.

I'm not sure what Verbeek is doing

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
But we are not people.

We are hockey fans.

hell-yeah-hank-breaking-bad-6eyullh8pxiyf6t7.gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Golf is effin expensive to play, and it has a good following. Hockey should follow in its footsteps if it wants to appeal to a greater audience...
You mean, make it so you can walk around in shoes, or alternatively drive a little car, while you leisurely play a quick round of hockey with your buds and feel good about your social status (which is why there's so much overlap)?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So we're going to start punishing tall players now with that rule? Most headshots that happen in the game nowadays are either from players who are really tall or the player with the puck was reaching and too far bent over. Very rarely do we see the Matt Cooke trash that we saw maybe 6-7 years ago. It still happens, don't get me wrong, but not as much now.

Nah, they're cheap sports that everyone knows about.
I think for Ken is alluding to the fact that players that don't get targeted by a trash human being, still end up getting CTE and suffering from it. I think it can be a case where the repeated lesser blows to the noggin end up having a higher cumulative effect than a possible big bad hit. Concussions are weird. You can't eliminate it all together but he thinks by giving out 2 PIMs for all head contact you could significantly reduce it.

I'm on the fence myself. I love the idea of fewer players getting head trauma, who wouldn't?!! But man, I shudder at how ticky-tacky "contact" will become and how many times we'd be rewatching shitty camera angles of reviews as the game gets endlessly interrupted for coaches challenges.

But Dryden isn't playing around though. He's kinda been on the warpath for years about it, which is why I bit surprised to see it just now resurface in the Athletic. I was kind of wondering if anyone had heard talk of traction on it, or had some ideas to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad