Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season V - Joe Castiglione announces retirement after 2024 Red Sox season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Manny Ramirez lite.
Not everyone is Ortiz. Manny at least had a personality.

Devers has always been this way Boston media needs to leave it alone they were screaming for his extension louder than anyone because FSG is so cheap. Even guys like Vlad Jr or Tatis Jr who grew up in MLB clubhouses won't do English interviews. No need to go after Devers.

You never know the Twins might implode and we could sweep them the AL sucks. This was a throwaway season. See what arms we add in the winter.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Horrible news for Wade Boggs. :cry:

from espn.com:

Baseball Hall of Fame member Wade Boggs has prostate cancer.

The former third baseman made the announcement Saturday night on social media and sounded optimistic, saying he will be ready to take part in the ritual cancer patients have of ringing a bell when they have concluded their treatment.

"With the strength and support of my family and my faith in God I'm going to ring that damn bell," Boggs wrote, adding a photo of a prostate cancer patient guide.

Boggs, 66, played 18 MLB seasons with the Boston Red Sox (1982-92), New York Yankees (1993-97) and the then-Tampa Bay Devil Rays (1998-99).

A five-time batting champion and 12-time All-Star, Boggs was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2005 on the first ballot, garnering votes on 91.9% of ballots.

The Hall of Fame sent good wishes, posting to social media, "We're with you every step of the way, Wade!"

In his career, Boggs hit .328 and joined the 3,000-hit club, finishing with 3,010 to go with 1,513 runs, 118 homers and 1,014 RBIs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what Boggs posted:

Reactions: lopey

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Ring the Bell, Wade!

You got this!

in other news:

Sox DFA Bobby Dalbec.

Cora uses Kelly instead of Jansen (both were warming up) in he 9th and the White Sox score.

3-2 White Sox in the 9th.

Ridiculous.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Chris Sale is likely going to win the NL Cy Young but nobody who follows the Red Sox closely believes if he was here he would be putting up similar numbers

would he have hurt his arm?
Would he have had an off field accident ?
Would he have be lit up ?

Physical? Fate ? Mental ?

We all know the end result here would be bad - how is the mystery

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I read this, this morning and expected this

Boston Globe

Just disgraceful

. Chris Flexen is scheduled to start for the White Sox on Sunday at Fenway Park. Chicago is 2-24 in his starts this season with 20 consecutive losses. He has not appeared in a game his team won since May 8. His 20 consecutive starts without a team win is a major league record .

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

LEADERSHIP VOID?​

Red Sox lacking clubhouse presence​

As Roman Anthony, Kristian Campbell, Marcelo Mayer, and Kyle Teel move closer to the major leagues, who will they look to for leadership once they arrive?

That’s a question the Red Sox need to address. Because that position remains vacant.

Rafael Devers? He’s a talented independent contractor at this point, his mood contingent on how he’s playing.

Devers shows up ready to play, he plays hard, he plays hurt, and he generally plays really well. He’s more of a leader by example, which is fine.

But more is needed in a big market, especially when you’re the highest-paid player on the team.

Here’s a small example from the last road trip. All the Sox players, coaches, and staffers wore football jerseys for the trip from Detroit to New York.

Most of the players represented their favorite team. Others purchased jerseys worn by movie characters. Even Masataka Yoshida, who has no interest in football, broke out a Patriots jersey.

Everybody participated . . . except Devers.

A few days later, Devers blew off reporters after a loss against the Mets. That he inconvenienced two writers who waited in the clubhouse for an hour isn’t the issue. It’s that the team had hit a low point and it was time for the best player to stand up and say something like, “We have to play better, it starts with me. We’ll come back tomorrow.”

The fan base wants to hear that and so do the other players. Instead the message was essentially, “I’m more upset I went 0 for 4.”

It has nothing to do with communication. His English is just fine.

Pete Abraham today Globe
Ok so I am glad this last point was addressed. If Abraham is correct that Devers can speak the language that's the first time I can recall a media member relaying that.

In other news:

But Keith Law said his prospects were lacking!

Reactions: Fenian24 and lopey

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ok so I am glad this last point was addressed. If Abraham is correct that Devers can speak the language that's the first time I can recall a media member relaying that.

In other news:

But Keith Law said his prospects were lacking!
Dombrowski in retrospect did I very good job

The Sale contract was nuts though

He’s very bitter he really wanted this to be his last stop and was a huge admirer of the Boston Red Sox per Gammons. His dream come true

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Sox win

Twins Lose
Royals Lose
Rays Lose

successful night.

And the kids go bed happy with food in their bellies!

Screenshot_20240328_235246_Gallery.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sox win

Twins Lose
Royals Lose
Rays Lose

successful night.

And the kids go bed happy with food in their bellies!

View attachment 906171

Forget the Royals, they're six games ahead of us with 18 to go. That would be an unworldly collapse. Rays are pretty irrelevant in the race too, it's as unlikely they make up the 5 game deficit they're in to reach that last WC. Detroit and Seattle are who are on your tail.

The only thing keeping this team alive is the three game set against Minnesota two weekends from now. Sweep that and you're tied (and you'd actually get the H2H tiebreaker in that case since there are no one-game playoffs for WCs anymore).

They basically just have to stay on pace until then and hope for the best.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Forget the Royals, they're six games ahead of us with 18 to go. That would be an unworldly collapse. Rays are pretty irrelevant in the race too, it's as unlikely they make up the 5 game deficit they're in to reach that last WC. Detroit and Seattle are who are on your tail.

The only thing keeping this team alive is the three game set against Minnesota two weekends from now. Sweep that and you're tied (and you'd actually get the H2H tiebreaker in that case since there are no one-game playoffs for WCs anymore).

They basically just have to stay on pace until then and hope for the best.
The Royals have a tougher schedule and when we went on our skid, they were on a 8 game losing streak. We could of passed them then.

Anything is possible.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Excellent story.

Of the early Mets teams Kranepool said, "We used to celebrate rainouts". Great line.

Got to see the legendary 1962 Mets in the Polo Grounds (great experience). Saw one of their 40 wins that season. Beat the expansion Houston Colt .45's, 13-2. Only time in his 15-year career Richie Ashburn hit two homers in one game. One was an inside the ballpark job that future Red Sox Roman Mejias misplayed. The other went about 280 feet down the right field line. The legendary Marv Throneberry played 1st base and hit a 2-run triple. Veteran outfielder Frank Thomas shagged flies during batting practice without a glove. Didn't drop a single one.

Reactions: lopey

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Loved Mad Dog , he was the missing piece to the Pirates WS team.
Was a .305 career hitter....I highly doubt Campbell will be a .300 hitter, will settle for .270 / 15 HR and 70 RBIs.
He’s hitting 300

He is going to be a Monstah

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
So many missed opportunities this year, yet still only 3 games back.

My short term goal was to be within striking distance when they play the twins in late September, some how it is still possible. Lets hope the offense gets it going and they can be within three games 10 days from now.

How is the Liam Hendicks rehab going?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad