Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season V - Joe Castiglione announces retirement after 2024 Red Sox season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
60% of the players they've fielded this year don't belong on a major league roster.

Losing winnable games when you are the definition of "mid" does not matter....because water finds it's level, and they are exactly what most people thought they'd be.

They had no business sniffing the post season.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
60% of the players they've fielded this year don't belong on a major league roster.

Losing winnable games when you are the definition of "mid" does not matter....because water finds it's level, and they are exactly what most people thought they'd be.

Also arguing if Story doesn't get hurt in April or Paxton doesn't get hurt right after the deadline acquisition they win more games doesn't pass the smell test because you shouldn't be relying that much on notoriously injury prone players if their absence is going to be the difference between playoffs and not.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The 2024 Red Sox will be remembered as a likable but flawed team.

The Red Sox are 35-40 AT FENWAY and you can blame the analytic nerds for this.

Trading Chris Sale to Atlanta backfired spectacularly as the Red Sox paid Atlanta 17 MILLION to take him.

Reactions: lopey and Mione134

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

So there are around 15 players who have played on the team this season that are not MLB players?
Who are they?
I think your comment is justified if you are the Oakland A's or the White Sox.
I like the position we are in, have a really good core of young players with more coming next season.
We need to spend some money on pitching and add a RH power hitter.
I can see this team winning 85-90 games next year.

Reactions: lopey

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
So there are around 15 players who have played on the team this season that are not MLB players?
Who are they?
I think your comment is justified if you are the Oakland A's or the White Sox.
I like the position we are in, have a really good core of young players with more coming next season.
We need to spend some money on pitching and add a RH power hitter.
I can see this team winning 85-90 games next year.
I'm not saying the future is exciting, because it definitely is....assuming they actually investe in the team to compliment the upcoming prospects with potential.

In terms of my comment about 15+ players not being MLB worthy, the bulk of it is bullpen arms, which admittedly is the most volatile aspect of the roster on most teams anyways.

They've had 31 non position players throw an inning this year, the bulk of them are AAAA guys who might stick around the bigs for a few years in short stints.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Other than in Triple A, which has another few days to go, the 2024 minor-league regular season is now in the books, so it’s time for my annual Prospect of the Year award, given to the prospect who showed the best performance in the minor leagues in 2024.

While the process of selecting the top prospects was ultimately subjective, I focused primarily on legitimate prospects who performed well relative to their age, level and experience in pro ball. In short, the younger a player was relative to the other players in his league — especially when compared solely to the players in his league with a chance to have some impact in the majors — the more impressed I was with a strong performance. What a player did in the majors, if he was called up, was irrelevant for this list’s purposes. I do consider age relative to level, so a player like Spencer Horwitz, who hit .335/.456/.514 in Triple A but was 26 years old and repeating the level, doesn’t make the cut.

So, given those criteria, here is my overall Prospect of the Year for 2024, as well as several other players who had outstanding seasons and deserved notice.

(Note: Scouting grades are on a 20-80 scale)

Prospect of the Year: Kristian Campbell, IF/OF, Boston Red Sox

The decision to give the award to Campbell wasn’t even close for me — nobody in the minors had a year to touch Campbell’s. He finished the season with a .330/.439/.558 line across three levels, starting the year with High-A Greenville and finishing it with Triple-A Worcester. That triple-slash line was good for a 179 wRC+*, which was by far the highest of anyone in the minors with at least 400 PA, well ahead of the No. 2 player at a wRC+ of 160. His OBP ranked third among all hitters, his slugging percentage sixth, and his batting average fourth.

This all came with just a 19.9 percent strikeout rate, and it was in his first full year in pro ball. And he did it while playing four skill positions — second, short, center, and third, with more than 200 innings at each of the first three spots.

Campbell was a redshirt freshman at Georgia Tech in 2022 and missed a few more weeks to start 2023 for the Wreck, hitting .376/.484/.549 in 45 games after he joined their lineup for good on March 10. That followed a strong summer the year before playing for Duluth in the wood-bat Northwoods League.

Red Sox area scout Kirk Fredericksson drafted Campbell and told me he believed not just in the skill set, but saw Campbell’s “good makeup and aptitude” to go with it — and when you have an athlete who has those things, you can really bet on their upside. This already looks like a home run of a pick for the Red Sox’s scouting staff, as Campbell tore up pitching — even good pitching — at every level, and now sits as one of the top 50 prospects in baseball.

*(I’ve said before that I don’t believe wRC+ has much predictive value for minor-league position players. I am only using it here as a measure of how good Campbell’s year was.)

Honorable mentions​

Franklin Arias, SS, Boston Red Sox​

It’s been a pretty good year for the Boston farm system, with Roman Anthony joining Campbell in reaching Triple A and hitting well at two levels, 2023 first-rounder Kyle Teel also reaching Triple A in his first full pro season, and the 18-year-old Arias tearing up the Florida Complex League with a .355/.471/.584 line before a promotion to Low A in August. He hit .257/.331/.378 at the higher level as one of just a handful of 18-year-olds to play there, and of course did so playing one of the most valuable positions on the field.

The Red Sox’s system has turned around very quickly in the past few years, with some fantastic drafts and a couple of early successes on the international scouting side, as well.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At this point we're closer to last place in the east than we are to the playoffs. Only 2.5 up on the Jays

After we get mathematically eliminated they might be inclined to sleepwalk through the last week, but I'd like to see them go out to finish 3rd. I do think there'd be at least some pride and momentum gained by the young players going into next year if they could stay above Tampa and Toronto. You don't want to go into the winter with the "three consecutive last place finishes and 4 in 5 years" monkey on your back.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thought we were cooked after the Bearclaw 2.0 game so I have only been half invested the last couple of weeks

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
At this point, if the Sox some how sweep the Twins, both the Twins and the Sox will still be looking outside and Detroit will be in.
When we look back and see the Red Sox could have done more to be better than middling teams like the Royals, Twins, Tigers, Mariners...that's frustrating.

Can't wait to hear how ticket prices are going up again!

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Since the ASB, Red Sox have given up 90 homeruns. No other team has given up even 80. Need pitching. Time will tell if FSG will allow Breslow to spend. I fear they will say, “we have yet to see what Giolito has done” and roll back out with Houck, Bello, Kutter, Criswell, with Giolito back from injury.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Since the ASB, Red Sox have given up 90 homeruns. No other team has given up even 80. Need pitching. Time will tell if FSG will allow Breslow to spend. I fear they will say, “we have yet to see what Giolito has done” and roll back out with Houck, Bello, Kutter, Criswell, with Giolito back from injury.
Starting pitching has been fine, bullpen has been an absolute disaster in the 2nd half. An abomination the likes of which I’ve never seen before. Without looking pretty sure their era as a collective is like 6 in the 2nd half. It was when I checked out at least

Reactions: lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad