Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Evason is what I consider every prototypical drill sergeant was like in the 1970s.
- Anders Cain is what I expect Jamie Benn to be like in real life.
- Riley Andersen is better at hockey than McDavid is.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He looks like he forgot to take off his Minnesota Wild tie and is therefore pissed off.

tmHztKg.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, NHL teams should be dealing directly with KHL clubs to get those players. I'll bet it gets them over to North America a lot sooner.

Wonder if the Avs could go that route with Gulyayev and have him play in the AHL if they could guarantee some things financially/bonus wise. Allow them to develop him rather than the KHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There has not been an agreement between the KHL and NHL for many reasons. Just an understanding to recognize each others contracts. The direction the KHL wants is a ‘fair market’ transfer fee that is negotiated vs a set amount. To this day, the NHL has been very reluctant to move away from the set fee standard they have pretty much anywhere else. These two would be a dramatic shift. It is a bit of Pandora’s box though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
These two would be a dramatic shift. It is a bit of Pandora’s box though.
I agree. I could see KHL teams trying to cash in and abusing this by signing kids to lengthy contracts while telling them to not worry since NHL teams will pay to get them sooner.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree. I could see KHL teams trying to cash in and abusing this by signing kids to lengthy contracts while telling them to not worry since NHL teams will pay to get them sooner.
And the Kaprizov’s who are a late picks start getting 5-6m transfer fee demands. This screams be careful what you wish for.

Now technically there was no transfer fee for Michkov. Though something under the table likely happened.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, that was my first thought, too. I could very easily imagine those Russian oligarchs holding their players hostage to extort max dollars out of desperate NHL teams. Not only would the NHL lose, but so would the Russian kids caught in the middle who want to come play in the world's best league.

It would also start to mess up the draft. I could see rich teams like Toronto and Boston grabbing top Russians left and right, while budget teams with stingy owners (looking at you, Kroenke) pass up on them to avoid having to pay the toll. It would just mess up league parity even more. Imagine if the next Alex Ovechkin comes up and Columbus doesn't draft him at #1 because they can't pay millions for his ransom.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, that was my first thought, too. I could very easily imagine those Russian oligarchs holding their players hostage to extort max dollars out of desperate NHL teams. Not only would the NHL lose, but so would the Russian kids caught in the middle who want to come play in the world's best league.

It would also start to mess up the draft. I could see rich teams like Toronto and Boston grabbing top Russians left and right, while budget teams with stingy owners (looking at you, Kroenke) pass up on them to avoid having to pay the toll. It would just mess up league parity even more. Imagine if the next Alex Ovechkin comes up and Columbus doesn't draft him at #1 because they can't pay millions for his ransom.
You type this like Michkov didn’t already pick his spot.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There has not been an agreement between the KHL and NHL for many reasons. Just an understanding to recognize each others contracts. The direction the KHL wants is a ‘fair market’ transfer fee that is negotiated vs a set amount. To this day, the NHL has been very reluctant to move away from the set fee standard they have pretty much anywhere else. These two would be a dramatic shift. It is a bit of Pandora’s box though.
Another way of solving it is if you're convinced they are honest about wanting to come over, go ahead and draft them. But then at the appropriate time, you reach out the the agent and tell him the prospect has to sign with the NHL team after his currect KHL contract expires. While he's free to do what he wants, if doesn't come over at that time, he won't ever and wish him the absolute best in whichever path they decide but that you really do hope to get back together soon to discuss a contract after you've had a chance to talk to the kid and explain the situation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He told Arizona straight up that he wouldn't play there but we don't know if there was any other team in the same situation.
There were two other teams.

Another way of solving it is if you're convinced they are honest about wanting to come over, go ahead and draft them. But then at the appropriate time, you reach out the the agent and tell him the prospect has to sign with the NHL team after his currect KHL contract expires. While he's free to do what he wants, if doesn't come over at that time, he won't ever and wish him the absolute best in whichever path they decide but that you really do hope to get back together soon to discuss a contract after you've had a chance to talk to the kid and explain the situation.
I’d doubt that if there was a transfer fee setup, where it could be negotiated by player…. That pretty much any KHL team would allow deals to actually expire. The intent with Michkov was a 5 year deal to keep him away. The KHL will extend those way out if we’re talking millions. Kids signing for life changing money at 16/17 and told they’ll be able to negotiate out of it. The kids will still get to the NHL, but this will only increase the complexity.

Technically, until the NHL and KHL sign a transfer agreement… these fees are not allowed. I’m sure they happen, but it isn’t allowed in the NHL.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't blame the KHL, they are probably used to futball transfers and want something like that while the NHL wants to pay as little as humanly possible for players. I actually side with the KHL in this. Michkov should not be going for the same amount that Fedotov went for (fictional example scenario).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There were two other teams.

I’d doubt that if there was a transfer fee setup, where it could be negotiated by player…. That pretty much any KHL team would allow deals to actually expire. The intent with Michkov was a 5 year deal to keep him away. The KHL will extend those way out if we’re talking millions. Kids signing for life changing money at 16/17 and told they’ll be able to negotiate out of it. The kids will still get to the NHL, but this will only increase the complexity.

Technically, until the NHL and KHL sign a transfer agreement… these fees are not allowed. I’m sure they happen, but it isn’t allowed in the NHL.
That's why I suggested contacting the agent and telling him his client has a choice. Sign with us or don't but we are coming up on your one and only chance to join the NHL. You need to sign with us by X date, or we wish you the best with your endevours but they will never include playing in the NHL.

Then just keep his rights for ever, with no intention of anything other than preventing him from coming to the NHL. I didn't think rights expired on free agents. It's basically depriving the enemy (other NHL teams) of nice things. Or am I wrong on that?

I know this would be a terrible solution, but my real point is that whatever the final solution is, it should be just as easy for the poorest teams in the league as it is for the richest. Negotiating "by player" will automatically eleminate the bottom few teams either immediately or as soon as the KHL GMs start factoring in "inflation" causing their negotiated rates to skyrocket year by year. That's what led me to think the solution had to be to affordable for the poorest teams as it is for the richest. There are probably better ways, mainly a negotiated transfer fee between the NHL and the KHL would be the easiest and would mostly likely allow the poorer clubs to participate. Maybe that negotiated transfer fee has an expiration date of no more than say 5 years to honestly reassess it for both inflation and more importantly the NHL's current rates. We can't keep the Russian players completely in the stone age just because their president lives there.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Part of the psychology here is ego/pride connected with perceived value..."We have many of the top hockey players in the world and if you want them, you must pay." One counter to this might be to disallow Russians to be drafted in the first round.

Part of the perceived value is teams sacrificing such a high draft pick to acquire them. Sacrificing a lesser pick might make it easier for teams to push away when it comes to being extorted.

Reactions: Bensch88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad