Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, I agree. The end result of this will be teams playing less aggressively, not more. No matter how you structure it, the imperative in 3v3 hockey will always be possession at all costs. Tweaking around the edges won't change the fundamental nature of what 3v3 means.
They need to make rule changes to 3vs3 to keep it interesting, for example attacking zone time or time how long you can have the puck.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They need to make rule changes to 3vs3 to keep it interesting, for example attacking zone time or time how long you can have the puck.
I thought they came up with the 3v3 idea to make OT "interesting" in the first place?

How many rules do they need to change to make hockey "interesting" in your eyes? At which point what we are watching will no longer be hockey?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, I agree. The end result of this will be teams playing less aggressively, not more. No matter how you structure it, the imperative in 3v3 hockey will always be possession at all costs. Tweaking around the edges won't change the fundamental nature of what 3v3 means.
Agree.

I personally hate ties. I play a game to win. I want to see a winner when I watch a game. I understand why the NHL doesn't want 5v5 OT. Hockey is not baseball (even baseball made a change for their extra innings games). Hockey is a lot more taxing on the body than most other sports so games can't go 2 or three periods of OT during the regular season. I used to like 3v3 when it came out because then it was very interesting but it is no longer the case as coaches have figured out that possession is extremely important 3v3.

IMO the best compromise is to play OT 4v4 no time limit. There would be a winner and I am convinced that OT wouldn't last that long. Teams would be forced to use more players so it wouldn't be as gimmicky. On the other hand there would be more ice to play with so it would be more open and exciting than 5v5.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I personally hate ties. I play a game to win. I want to see a winner when I watch a game. I understand why the NHL doesn't want 5v5 OT.
I don't get it. Back in the day it's not like teams had 30 tie games a year, they weren't that common.

Also in a 2 point system getting 1 point for a tie isn't nothing. It counts.

That was by far the most legit way to play the game. All games were worth the same number of points and no fewer player gimmick or shootout to speed things up because ties are boring and people need to go to bed.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't get it. Back in the day it's not like teams had 30 tie games a year, they weren't that common.

That was by far the most legit way to play the game. All games were worth the same number of points and no fewer player gimmick or shootout to speed things up because ties are boring and people need to go to bed.
One tie in an entire season is too many for me. That is my personal view on it so agree to disagree.

I do agree that each game should be worth the same amount of points though so I am all for a change in awarding points.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

What an ugly lineup from the top (starting with the second line) right up until the goalies. JTC and washed Kane in the top six? Chiarot in the top four? What exactly has Stevie been building for last 5 or so years?

He also paid a 2nd to dump a good dman on a good contract in order to make room for overpaid Trouba (who then refused to join his team).

Yzerman has been a horrible GM with the Wings. He's been trying to take all the shortcuts that we all know aren't working...building a team with a fairly high floor (won't finish bottom 10 in the league) but with a super low ceiling (will fight for a wildcard spot if everything goes well). The perfect build to finish in no man's land year after year.

It's like Jarmo Kekalainen is cosplaying as Steve Yzerman.

Last edited:

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
5 vs 5 sudden death until the GWG for the whole regular season would be awesome. Now THAT would make teams WANT to win in regulation or as soon as possible in OT. Just cancel all back-to-backs while at it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The f*** is that defence? I thought Maattaa was out of the league years ago. Petry was a joke when he was in Edmonton and he's not any better now.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The f*** is that defence? I thought Maattaa was out of the league years ago. Petry was a joke when he was in Edmonton and he's not any better now.
Määttä on the third pair is one of the few spots on that roster that doesn't need to be changed. It's too bad that Ben Chiarot should also be playing there.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

If you have a mostly American audience and a sport that’s as sacred to them as college football can have over half the points in the entire game coming in overtime just to avoid a tie, what does that tell you?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
IMG_0059.jpeg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I see Bird man is back in Columbus. Can't wait to see what hilarious faces he pulls when we light them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad