Votes: 17 37.8%
  • The Pink Panthers

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When has Matthews ever shown good captain tendencies? Look no further than this year when he went balls out in a meaningless game 2 days before playoffs for some random personal accolade.
Matthews taking over leadership was always the missing piece for the Leafs.

Published Sep 11, 2017
By Steve Simmons

You can see a Stanley Cup from here.

Maybe for the first time since the Stanley Cup season of 1967, you can see it.

You can envision it. You can believe in it. You can close your eyes and actually picture Gary Bettman calling Auston Matthews — assuming he will eventually be granted the captaincy — to come up and grab the Cup.

The Toronto Maple Leafs: future Stanley Cup champion.

No one had proper respect for the Steve Simmons prophecy.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Matthews taking over leadership was always the missing piece for the Leafs.

Published Sep 11, 2017
By Steve Simmons

You can see a Stanley Cup from here.

Maybe for the first time since the Stanley Cup season of 1967, you can see it.

You can envision it. You can believe in it. You can close your eyes and actually picture Gary Bettman calling Auston Matthews — assuming he will eventually be granted the captaincy — to come up and grab the Cup.

The Toronto Maple Leafs: future Stanley Cup champion.

No one had proper respect for the Steve Simmons prophecy.

Best part about the current lamentable state of the Maple Leafs is their media was a contributing factor for why they are here.

The reasons they are in this position can more or less be boiled down to the completely unnecessary signing of Tavares along with the horrendous contracts handed out first to Matthews and then to Marner off of their ELC's. I can't help but think that neither of those things happen if you picked up the exact Leafs franchise in 2016 and dropped them into any other market.

Leafs management still had some agency in these decisions, but Leaf media and fans could not have cheer led the Tavares signing any more than they did. I can't imagine anyone in Toronto would have found it palatable at that point for the team to just not be interested in Tavares. Same thing with Matthews, I don't believe for a second that the constant drums beat of "woah I think he's actually better than McDavid!!!" didn't lead to that horrendous precedent setting deal that Marner followed along.

Like I said above, I can't conceive any of this playing out if the identical organization was located in Florida, or Anaheim, or even Winnipeg or Montreal. Leaf fans and media have a unique fixation on being wanted (Tavares), or finally, maybe, actually having the best player in the world (Matthews - laughably). It's a symptom of dying to have these two things for decades, then when they finally were in a position where they had good players to build around they nuked it at the firs opportunity.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I hope McKenna goes to a good city

He's a Yukon kid, and he's a member/citizen of the first nations in Dawson City (Trondek Hwech'in), so I'm really rooting for him.
I’m going to take in more Tigers games this season. He’s a helluva hockey player.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Luongo 2.0 “My contract sucks.”

You can sure smell the cow shit in some of his comments though, like “not knowing how it was going to go”. Why sign such a massive contract extension then instead of just seeing how it went first. He can go cope into his $100 million dollars.

For him to lament the talent Tkachuck has to play with relative to him is especially pathetic.

Clown can’t recognize he is the talent. Would be one thing if he was racking up 100 points among a bunch of nothing, but he’s as much of a joke as the rest of the bums on that team.

Couldn’t be happier this loser is a Flame. Fits like a glove there.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For him to lament the talent Tkachuck has to play with relative to him is especially pathetic.

Clown can’t recognize he is the talent. Would be one thing if he was racking up 100 points among a bunch of nothing, but he’s as much of a joke as the rest of the bums on that team.

He still can't see that he was a big part of the problem.

CantHaveTkachev

Everyone hates us, we don't care
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I hope that contract haunts the Flames so bad he plays just well enough to keep them out of the top 5 at the draft

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
My way too early standings predictions after free agency has come and gone

Atlantic

1) Toronto – They’re running back the strong regular season core, improved the defense, new coach, and the potential of some strong youth contributing this year.

2) Florida – Defense downgraded a bit and perhaps some wear and tear from 2 cup final runs, but they could still win the division. To me this is an easy top 2.

3) Tampa – As long as Kucherov, Hedman, Point and Vasi are at the top of their game, this team is a playoff contender.

4) Buffalo – This might be the year they finally get in. Nice work improving the bottom 6, lots of skill here. Goaltending is a question though.

5) Boston – I think they over-achieved last year and start to slide further this year. Lindholm and Big Z were both bad contracts.

6) Detroit – Deep team, has a wildcard shot, but nothing wows me here either.

7) Ottawa – So much skill, but just seems like a team of spare parts. Might need to pick a few core players and re-tool around it.

8) Montreal – Rebuilding until proven otherwise.

Metro

1) NY Rangers – Still just an incredibly deep team. Don’t see much changing here.

2) NJ Devils – Massively underachieved last year. Deep up front and on the back end. Curious which Markstrom they get in net.

3) Carolina – Lost a lot of skill, but Rod just gets so much out of players, and honestly, it’s a weak division beneath them.

4) Washington – I just have a weird feeling Dubois has a big season.

5) NY Islanders – Dobson is phenomenal, great top line, but I always struggle with the depth of this team.

6) Flyers – Overachieved to start last season. Though they could surprise.

7) Penguins – Dubas has wrecked an already aging team

8) Columbus – Some nice young pieces, but I just don’t see it.

Central

1) Dallas – Just too good of a team to bet against.

2) Nashville – Might give Dallas a push. They were a great team last year that just lacked the ability to finish. That should change.

3) Colorado – You just can’t put Makar/Mackinnon lower than this, no matter how deep the division.

4) Utah – Beefed up the defense on a team with some young studs up front. Keller is a star and I think Cooley breaks out

5) Winnipeg – Still probably a wildcard team, but I think they come down a bit.

6) Chicago – Bedard has a huge year, possibly 100 points, but doesn’t have the support yet.

7) Minnesota – Not terrible but nothing special.

8) St. Louis – The year they embrace a full rebuild. Might trade a RHD further west.

Pacific

1) Edmonton – Deepest forward group in the cap era, and Savoie is their first callup.

2) Vancouver – They come back down to earth a bit, but they’re still a strong team

3) Vegas – I don’t see them as a top contender in the west (until they do their cap nonsense) but the competition below them isn’t exactly dazzling.

4) Seattle – They will push and fight the Jets/Yeti’s for the last wildcard

5) LA – Mediocrity finally gets the best of them.

6) Calgary – Bad team that fails to tank for a top 5 pick 😊

7) Anaheim – Like Ottawa, just seems like a team of odd parts. Amazing young talent though, so they could surprise.

8) San Jose – Bright future with their top 2 picks this year and Will Smith. Still a couple ugly years ahead through.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My way too early standings predictions after free agency has come and gone

Atlantic

1) Toronto – They’re running back the strong regular season core, improved the defense, new coach, and the potential of some strong youth contributing this year.

2) Florida – Defense downgraded a bit and perhaps some wear and tear from 2 cup final runs, but they could still win the division. To me this is an easy top 2.

3) Tampa – As long as Kucherov, Hedman, Point and Vasi are at the top of their game, this team is a playoff contender.

4) Buffalo – This might be the year they finally get in. Nice work improving the bottom 6, lots of skill here. Goaltending is a question though.

5) Boston – I think they over-achieved last year and start to slide further this year. Lindholm and Big Z were both bad contracts.

6) Detroit – Deep team, has a wildcard shot, but nothing wows me here either.

7) Ottawa – So much skill, but just seems like a team of spare parts. Might need to pick a few core players and re-tool around it.

8) Montreal – Rebuilding until proven otherwise.

Metro

1) NY Rangers – Still just an incredibly deep team. Don’t see much changing here.

2) NJ Devils – Massively underachieved last year. Deep up front and on the back end. Curious which Markstrom they get in net.

3) Carolina – Lost a lot of skill, but Rod just gets so much out of players, and honestly, it’s a weak division beneath them.

4) Washington – I just have a weird feeling Dubois has a big season.

5) NY Islanders – Dobson is phenomenal, great top line, but I always struggle with the depth of this team.

6) Flyers – Overachieved to start last season. Though they could surprise.

7) Penguins – Dubas has wrecked an already aging team

8) Columbus – Some nice young pieces, but I just don’t see it.

Central

1) Dallas – Just too good of a team to bet against.

2) Nashville – Might give Dallas a push. They were a great team last year that just lacked the ability to finish. That should change.

3) Colorado – You just can’t put Makar/Mackinnon lower than this, no matter how deep the division.

4) Utah – Beefed up the defense on a team with some young studs up front. Keller is a star and I think Cooley breaks out

5) Winnipeg – Still probably a wildcard team, but I think they come down a bit.

6) Chicago – Bedard has a huge year, possibly 100 points, but doesn’t have the support yet.

7) Minnesota – Not terrible but nothing special.

8) St. Louis – The year they embrace a full rebuild. Might trade a RHD further west.

Pacific

1) Edmonton – Deepest forward group in the cap era, and Savoie is their first callup.

2) Vancouver – They come back down to earth a bit, but they’re still a strong team

3) Vegas – I don’t see them as a top contender in the west (until they do their cap nonsense) but the competition below them isn’t exactly dazzling.

4) Seattle – They will push and fight the Jets/Yeti’s for the last wildcard

5) LA – Mediocrity finally gets the best of them.

6) Calgary – Bad team that fails to tank for a top 5 pick 😊

7) Anaheim – Like Ottawa, just seems like a team of odd parts. Amazing young talent though, so they could surprise.

8) San Jose – Bright future with their top 2 picks this year and Will Smith. Still a couple ugly years ahead through.

I like your list for the most part, but I think that the Leafs are going to run into some headwinds because the Marner situation is going to be a circus beyond belief. Also don't see the Bruins falling back that much, they should be Top 3 in that Division.

As far as the West in general goes, I feel like the conference as a whole got worse. Oilers improved, Predators improved, then after that everyone kind of stayed about the same or got worse. I think that the Kings, Nucks, Knights and Jets are all playoff teams from last year that are candidates to fall back out, with any of the Kraken, Utah, Wild or Blues to get in. Basically, which one of those teams randomly has a high S% like the Kraken of 2023 and the Nucks of 2024.

I think the Pacific has reverted to being a shitty division again. Three afterthought basement teams (Flames, Sharks, Ducks), two mediocre teams that may or may not succeed depending on PDO and health (Kraken, Canucks), the Kings who are the Kings, and the Knights, who I can't foresee doing anything based on how their roster looks now combined with the propensity for the players they have that are actually good to be injured. Sadly because of this I think the Nucks make the playoffs, but whoever is the third seed in the Division is probably going to suck, and it's probably going to be the Kings again. Second place in the Pacific could end up being a more attractive proposition than 1st when it all shakes out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Luongo 2.0 “My contract sucks.”

You can sure smell the cow shit in some of his comments though, like “not knowing how it was going to go”. Why sign such a massive contract extension then instead of just seeing how it went first. He can go cope into his $100 million dollars.

Signing that contract was the smartest thing he ever did, have to take the bag when it's there for the taking, if he had waited a year, no chance he gets that money.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone mention Souray on podcast with Brant Myhers?

Quite the podcast Myhers has come up with to get the message out there about drugs and alcohol, but Souray touched base on what truly happened. Absolutely disgusting that they thought a guy with a bone sticking out of his arm was faking an injury.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Anyone mention Souray on podcast with Brant Myhers?

Quite the podcast Myhers has come up with to get the message out there about drugs and alcohol, but Souray touched base on what truly happened. Absolutely disgusting that they thought a guy with a bone sticking out of his arm was faking an injury.
Myhres is the player Matheson made up a lie about (that he was looking to target Laraque) and only after Laraque absolutely destroyed the guy, did he find out about said lie. When he confronted Matheson about it.. he had a big shit eating grin on his face and admitted as much. Myhres had just come out of a rehab stint, with his father in the stands to watch. Matheson is just such a huge f***ing asshole.

Laraque and a story on Matheson...

The organization has been a complete dumpster fire at various points on and off the ice, and that mutual infection still exists with these dinosaurs still hanging around off the team's balls. Hopefully.. hopefully, the ship is being righted under Jackson's regime.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad