• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I know these ESPN lists are arbitrary, biased towards popular American sports, and don't mean much, but to have a bunch of very good (not great) NBA players, like Nash, Kidd, and Harden, ranked better than McDavid is mystifying.

McDavid has more scoring titles and MVPs than any of them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I know these ESPN lists are arbitrary, biased towards popular American sports, and don't mean much, but to have a bunch of very good (not great) NBA players, like Nash, Kidd, and Harden, ranked better than McDavid is mystifying.

ESPN is to sports broadcasting what toilet water is to drinking water.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

List is terrible and I’m not saying McDavid shouldn’t be a lot higher but Jason Kidd and Steve were both easily in the top 5 best passers in NBA history. They were most definitely great players.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
List is terrible and I’m not saying McDavid shouldn’t be a lot higher but Jason Kidd and Steve were both easily in the top 5 best passers in NBA history. They were most definitely great players.
I personally define great as multiple time league MVPs (I agree that player tiers vary from person to person). So, Nash would qualify as great.

To put McDavid's absurdly low ranking (98th) in perspective, two other active players with 3 MVPs each were ranked much better... Jokic (28th) and Trout (30th).

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I personally define great as multiple time league MVPs (I agree that player tiers vary from person to person). So, Nash would qualify as great.

To put McDavid's absurdly low ranking (98th) in perspective, two other active players with 3 MVPs each were ranked much better... Jokic (28th) and Trout (30th).
That’s fair but I don’t agree. Kidd was one of the greatest point guards of all time. His resume speaks for itself.

McDavid got hosed no doubt though.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That’s fair but I don’t agree. Kidd was one of the greatest point guards of all time. His resume speaks for itself.

McDavid got hosed no doubt though.
I think it is perfectly fair to argue that Kidd was one of the top 10 point guards of all time. (Nash as well) But he would not be one of the top 20 players of all time in my mind. McDavid has put himself in the conversation for top 4-5 of all time in his sport. McDavid would be more on the level of Magic than Kidd for me.

Reactions: Frank the Tank

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think it is perfectly fair to argue that Kidd was one of the top 10 point guards of all time. (Nash as well) But he would not be one of the top 20 players of all time in my mind. McDavid has put himself in the conversation for top 4-5 of all time in his sport. McDavid would be more on the level of Magic than Kidd for me.
Top ten is fair. I find people often under rate pass first PGs. Not to mention he was a killer on defence.

Again I agree McDavid got hosed. He’s one of the most dominant player in sports. GOAT discussion worthy when he’s done. I’m just saying I think the NBA players mentioned here for the most part earned their spots.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Top ten is fair. I find people often under rate pass first PGs. Not to mention he was a killer on defence.

Again I agree McDavid got hosed. He’s one of the most dominant player in sports. GOAT discussion worthy when he’s done. I’m just saying I think the NBA players mentioned here for the most part earned their spots.
Thornton and Oates are kind of the NHL analogs of Nash and Kidd. Both are viewed as great players but are never in the conversation for the best of all time.

I've always had a soft spot for the pass first guy in both basketball and hockey. Magic is my all time favorite basketball player and not so far behind is Jerry West. But I also loved watching Stockton play. Both McDavid and Gretzky fit that pass first mold but like Magic and to a lesser degree West they can also do that at such a high level, and can or did do so much more that they transcend the limitations of the skill. Draisaitl is a superb passer. But had he not reinvented himself as an elite sniper to fit playing with McDavid I suspect he would not be anywhere close to being viewed as a top 5 forward in the League.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

I'm shocked the NHL is within 4 billion of the NBA/MLB in revenue

NHL might even be in a better place going forward considering both national and local media networks have been bleeding out behind the scenes for a few years now. The bally sports bankruptcy was the first big hit to sports revenue in the US with the loss of the formerly lucrative regional sports broadcasting model, next one might cut even deeper.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If that revenue number is correct, and I am very skeptical that it is, then the cap is really out of whack. With revenue of $6.8B the cap should be at over $110M this year in normal days.

Players are still paying back for the cap holding despite revenues collapsing during COVID.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Players are still paying back for the cap holding despite revenues collapsing during COVID.
That was paid off early this year.

The current CBA has limitations on escrow and on the amount the cap will rise without additional mutual consent. But it did not change the revenue sharing formula on which the cap is essentially based. Again, I am very skeptical of the $6.8B claim but it is probably over $6.2B. And even at the lower number by the normal formula the cap should probably be in the $100M range.

My guess is that in the new CBA the players negotiate a new formula that sees the ceiling set at something like 5% over the old midpoint number. That would in practical terms all but eliminate escrow. It could also easily be achieved without a roll back of the ceiling which is also desirable.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If that revenue number is correct, and I am very skeptical that it is, then the cap is really out of whack. With revenue of $6.8B the cap should be at over $110M this year in normal days.

It could be that not all the revenue shown on these charts is considered HRR and/or calculated as how the CBA mandates.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It could be that not all the revenue shown on these charts is considered HRR and/or calculated as how the CBA mandates.
I factored this in to a degree by subtracting off $600M for benefits etc.

The NHL had been making noise that HRR would be in the $6.2B range if the playoffs went well. The playoffs probably exceeded expectations.

In this article the $6.2B figure is quoted but what I find interesting is the speculation about $10B by the end of the decade.

How realistic $10B is I don't know. It seems hard to fathom. But the NHL has really increased revenues substantially coming out of the pandemic. Once Utah's fully established and their arena renos are done in a couple of years it is reasonable to assume that they would add close to $100M more revenue than Arizona did this year. With that in mind a 5% average growth in other revenues would take the number to around $8.5B. From there a big ??? is the new Canadian TV deal. The last one did not work out so well for Rogers but it is still not unlikely that by restructuring the way content is distributed that by the end of the decade the rights for Canadian broadcasting/streaming would be a fair bit higher than they are right now.

$10B seems like a lofty goal for the 2030-2031 season. But $8-9B seems quite reasonable. At the low end even with my 5% above midpoint plan the cap would be in the $120-125M range. At the top end it would be in the $135-140M range. This might very well be why you see a guy like Leon go for a 5 year deal even with the risks that carries.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Funny Allan Walsh posts that then cries because NBA players make more in the next tweet.

Guy is a f***ing idiot.
Yup, he's a turd.

I've posted on this before. The biggest difference is the NHL's significantly lower National TV/Media agreement. The NHL and NBA were comparative leagues financially in the 70s and 80s until David Stern took over and killed it with sophisticated marketing around its star players.

$28.5 million National TV/Media in 1984 to $973 million in 2013 to its recent $76 billion/11 year media rights.

The NHL has come a long way but the biggest pie and slice they need to grow is in National TV/Media which is why the U.S. expansion has built out fringe markets, propped up bad ones like Phoenix, and talk again about going back to the future sequel three in Atlanta. Ticket revenue has a finite cap with building capacities and economic considerations and others make this team and league revenue source volatile. The big money/golden fleece is in those guaranteed National TV/Media deals and ancillary revenue sources that flow out of that reach and exposure.

And to say again Walsh is a turd.

Reactions: bellagiobob

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Crazy that the concessions are the same % as the others despite deriving so much money from ticket sales. Maybe they make confessions more affordable and they would have higher volume.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just when I think I'm starting to get over that game 7 loss, and getting excited about the signings etc this summer, along comes another video of some shithead Florida player with their day with the cup. Makes me want to vomit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium