GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
On one hand this is true, but on the other if they really blew it up they would still have the opportunity to build around those contracts with good players on their first or second deals. Had they not wasted the opportunity, they really could have received strong returns for Lindholm, Hanafin and Backlund at least. Instead their trade value diminishes every day as we approach the deadline, especially when it will likely be a buyers market this year.

After all the crowing about “we’re not doing that again!” (losing impending UFAs for nothing) that goof Conroy is walking right down that path.

There is hope in stripping it down around Huberdeau and Kadri, just signing more of these contracts to 30 year olds is a guarantee to send them down the path of permanent mediocrity or worse.
true but I think Conroy doesn't want to "strip it down" after signing those players to massive deals because Huberdeau and Kadri didn't sign there long-term just to go through a re-build hence why they're repeating their mistakes (so far)...I guess we will find out at the TDL if they're willing to deal pending UFAs

I hope they sign Lindholm to a massive retirement deal as well, so they hamstring their cap even worse

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
true but I think Conroy doesn't want to "strip it down" after signing those players to massive deals because Huberdeau and Kadri didn't sign there long-term just to go through a re-build hence why they're repeating their mistakes (so far)...I guess we will find out at the TDL if they're willing to deal pending UFAs

I hope they sign Lindholm to a massive retirement deal as well, so they hamstring their cap even worse

I would love nothing more for them to be sitting in the last wild card spot on a shoestring at the deadline. They won't end up trading a single one of those players which will result in them either walking or re-signing for deals that will stink immediately.

"Just look at the Panthers last year!!"

It warms my heart whenever there is a cindarella run to the finals. Gives dumb teams like the Flames something to lean on when they're telling themselves its all ok. Funny thought to begin with. Basically admitting you're mediocre and if only they get lucky then just maybe they can go to the Finals.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If I don’t want my boss to look through my photo album I’m a snowflake??

Don't you know that you're supposed to let your boss invade your privacy, f*** with your relationships, make your life shittier all in the name of some completely fictional boomer thick-skin?

The funny thing is the phone shit isn't gonna be the issue. That seems to be overblown or misconstrued. It seems like the investigation now is about something the younger players said when the league and PA looked in on that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If one complains vociferously about something as innocent and innocuous as this its par for the course. Not too surprising its Gen Z being all offended. Babcock didn't serve the right brand of milk and cookies it looks like. These same players, unlike previous gens have probably not worked a day in their life in any other vocation.

Nor did babcock say he was going to search through anybodies photo album he was asking people to share (volunteer) some photos further to getting to know them, their families etc. It was meant as team building but typically in this day and age anything becomes a culpable offense worthy of lol investigation followed by inquisition.

Reactions: harpoon

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If one complains vociferously about something as innocent and innocuous as this its par for the course. Not too surprising its Gen Z being all offended. Babcock didn't serve the right brand of milk and cookies it looks like. These same players, unlike previous gens have probably not worked a day in their life in any other vocation.

Nor did babcock say he was going to search through anybodies photo album he was asking people to share (volunteer) some photos further to getting to know them, their families etc. It was meant as team building but typically in this day and age anything becomes a culpable offense worthy of lol investigation followed by inquisition.
Depends if it was ‘show me a picture of your family’, while you are in control of your phone, vs ‘give me your phone for a while, I’m taking it into the coaches room and hooking it up to the TV to peruse.’

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Depends if it was ‘show me a picture of your family’, while you are in control of your phone, vs ‘give me your phone for a while, I’m taking it into the coaches room and hooking it up to the TV to peruse.’
The 3 vet players that have spoken out on this supporting the gesture describe it as simply being asked to volunteer pictures. They also stated they had no concerns whatsoever and nobody came to them with concerns. These are the vet player leaders of that club.

I don't see this as being any big deal. Hell just a decade ago at the NHL combine it was accepted action for teams to ask players if they play fortnite and teams would actually preview available social media posts scanning to see if prospective drafts played the game or talked about it.

Weird as it was that happened.

In anycase heres the cold hard reality. ANYTHING we post up on online is actionable. People lose their jobs, people get scrutiny by making things public. You don't need somebodies phone to identify what they are up to and most young people post it up and using their names...the same gen complaining vociferously about volunteering a few picks load instagram with thousands of pics of their every action.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The 3 vet players that have spoken out on this supporting the gesture describe it as simply being asked to volunteer pictures. They also stated they had no concerns whatsoever and nobody came to them with concerns. These are the vet player leaders of that club.

I don't see this as being any big deal. Hell just a decade ago at the NHL combine it was accepted action for teams to ask players if they play fortnite and teams would actually preview available social media posts scanning to see if prospective drafts played the game or talked about it.

In anycase heres the cold hard reality. ANYTHING we post up on online is actionable. People lose their jobs, people get scrutiny by making things public. You don't need somebodies phone to identify what they are up to and most young people post it up and using their names...the same gen complaining vociferously about volunteering a few picks load instagram with thousands of pics of their every action.
that's how I heard it too

maybe the younger group was like "wtf for? this is something I've never done before" and probably thought it was weird..

and then knowing how much people like Biz and the chicklets podcast hate Babcock, ran it to him and he did what he does when Babcock is mentioned

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

maybe the younger group was like "wtf for? this is something I've never done before" and probably thought it was weird..

and then knowing how much people like Biz and the chicklets podcast hate Babcock, ran it to him and he did what he does when Babcock is mentioned

I guess it would depend on how it was done. If it was "show me a picture of your family" then I think that is fairly innocuous and is a stretch to take legitimate concern over.

If it's "cast your phone up on the tv and start swiping through photos," then that is another thing, especially if the player isn't in control of the phone. I HATE when people swipe through my album and I don't really have anything in there that would be at all concerning. I could imagine that a 19 year old coming back from summer would want to keep this stuff private.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I guess it would depend on how it was done. If it was "show me a picture of your family" then I think that is fairly innocuous and is a stretch to take legitimate concern over.

If it's "cast your phone up on the tv and start swiping through photos," then that is another thing, especially if the player isn't in control of the phone. I HATE when people swipe through my album and I don't really have anything in there that would be at all concerning. I could imagine that a 19 year old coming back from summer would want to keep this stuff private.
of course but I'm going off Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreau said

they mentioned he asked for pics of their summer and asked about their families, for which both had no problem doing

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Perhaps Babs took advantage of the younger kids and took their phones into the coaches rooms, vs taking a different approach with the vets. Guess we’ll find out how serious it was after the league meeting today.

It's due process as it would be whether leaked as it was or if an anonymous complainant followed any of the many team and labour options available through the collective bargaining agreement. New NHLPA head is and should be all over this. This was leaked to known Babcock haters to undermine Babcock, create a lot of noise, and it has succeeded in creating a resulting rush to judgement through its portrayal.

Unless something really substantive is revealed, I don't think Babcock will be fired. It's apparently been a standard practice he's used for years (even though awkward and likely unusual). It may have both NHL and NHLPA start to define with a bit of specificity some of the interaction parameters between coach and players. Babcock certainly has earned a short leash in all of this and this situation is fully exploiting it. There's a significant mistrust which he might never be able to bridge. Some locker room.
Agreed that it was proper procedure to have the PA look into it. It became more interesting when they asked the league to meet with them the next day about the issue. You don’t ask for that kind of a meeting without a legitimate concern.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Perhaps Babs took advantage of the younger kids and took their phones into the coaches rooms, vs taking a different approach with the vets. Guess we’ll find out how serious it was after the league meeting today.

Agreed that it was proper procedure to have the PA look into it. It became more interesting when they asked the league to meet with them the next day about the issue. You don’t ask for that kind of a meeting without a legitimate concern.
This slotted in to a pre-existing NHL NHLPA meeting is my understanding. Not an urgent meeting to deal with the C-Bus matter specifically.

With all the turmoil with the NHLPA the past couple years I see how and why their outsider new leader is all over this. Rightfully it should be investigated if players were uncomfortable. It's reasonable due process. However it is a circus because the impulse involved was to feed information to a Babcock hating mouthpieces instead of utilizing existing legal and team options available to a millionaire unionized workforce. It's created a rush to judgement on Babcock which is clearly intentional going this route. It was clearly an agenda being served in choosing to blast this out publicly in the manner it was done. Lot of collateral damage with the GM, team and also its leadership group being pulled into a situation selfishly created to inflict damage.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think it naive to think players aren't 'exposing' their lives in very public manners via social media or that teams, the league, player agents and PA don't keep an eye on their vehicles through which to voluntarily share their lives. There are millions of dollars invested and at stake to scout, evaluate (skills and character) sign and ultimately pay these employees. This is a six billion dollar big business that is fighting reputational issues on many fronts in how its done business or turned a blind eye to social issues within a changing world.

A quick scan of C-Bus young players on social media show their work and personal lives pretty much readily available. Babcock rightfully should be on a short leash given some of his history. But I don't agree with creating a circus rush to judgement for anyone without the benefit of due process.

https://www.instagram.com/adamfantilli/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/marchenkokirill86/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/chinakhov_59/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/kentjohnson.13/

https://www.instagram.com/voronkov__10/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/adamboqvistt/

https://www.instagram.com/colesillinger/?hl=en

Private: https://www.instagram.com/foudy_22/?hl=en

Public: https://twitter.com/foudshow?lang=en

Comparing a millionaire unionized athlete to run of the mill employee/employer relationships is also faulty.

Maybe my favourite post on this:

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008

There’s a difference between what someone posts knowingly on social media for public consumption and what they have on their personal devices - those are two very different pieces of content for most people.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There’s a difference between what someone posts knowingly on social media for public consumption and what they have on their personal devices - those are two very different pieces of content for most people.
Really its not the case for a lot of people and social media posting often reveals way too much about location, activities, etc all connected with name. A huge amount of people have lost jobs or not got them due to social media posting and attaching their name and pictures to all accounts removing any possible doubt about who they are.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
:rolleyes: You could simply decline without instigating an ‘investigation’ couldn’t you? I’ll also suggest that it seems highly unlikely that anyone was asked to turn over their phones to the coach. Probably more like select and send send a couple of pictures so someone could put together a montage to help players/families get to know one another before training camp. And yeah, you’d be a snowflake if you cried about that.

Don't you know that you're supposed to let your boss invade your privacy, f*** with your relationships, make your life shittier all in the name of some completely fictional boomer thick-skin?
Lol. WTF are you taking about?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it naive to think players aren't 'exposing' their lives in very public manners via social media or that teams, the league, player agents and PA don't keep an eye on their vehicles through which to voluntarily share their lives. There are millions of dollars invested and at stake to scout, evaluate (skills and character) sign and ultimately pay these employees. This is a six billion dollar big business that is fighting reputational issues on many fronts in how its done business or turned a blind eye to social issues within a changing world.

A quick scan of C-Bus young players on social media show their work and personal lives pretty much readily available. Babcock rightfully should be on a short leash given some of his history. But I don't agree with creating a circus rush to judgement for anyone without the benefit of due process.

https://www.instagram.com/adamfantilli/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/marchenkokirill86/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/chinakhov_59/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/kentjohnson.13/

https://www.instagram.com/voronkov__10/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/adamboqvistt/

https://www.instagram.com/colesillinger/?hl=en

Private: https://www.instagram.com/foudy_22/?hl=en

Public: https://twitter.com/foudshow?lang=en

Comparing a millionaire unionized athlete to run of the mill employee/employer relationships is also faulty.

Maybe my favourite post on this:

Social media and a phone are not even close to the same thing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Social media and a phone are not even close to the same thing.
My point is social media is a public sharing of personal information whether photos, opinions, or other. Virtually everyone now has a cell phone which is predominantly used to create personal content. All that we know in this situation is that Babcock asked players to share pictures of their family aka self curate some content of their choosing as part of an ice-breaker exercise. Would seem the issue is how this request was received by players which varies very differently from the detailed public record statement of Gaudreau and the written statement of team captain.

Some of what's being portrayed through the public rush to judgement via the calculated media leak is of some crazed guy demanding players hand over their phone and for photos to be displayed on some office screen described like a weird fetish. It varies very different from what two credible players reported of their direct experience. Regardless, the player's choose or don't choose how much they share. Not surprisingly a quick scan of their Instagram and social accounts - all public - shows family, buddies, parties, and real life stuff. Stuff that connects us all as humans.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No new boss should be asking to see anything personal. It’s literally hr 101.
Completely agree. That’s why I don’t think it happened that way at all. Wouldn’t ‘turning over your phone’ require you to also turn over your lock code? Who’s going to be dumb enough to request an employee do that?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
:rolleyes: You could simply decline without instigating an ‘investigation’ couldn’t you? I’ll also suggest that it seems highly unlikely that anyone was asked to turn over their phones to the coach. Probably more like select and send send a couple of pictures so someone could put together a montage to help players/families get to know one another before training camp. And yeah, you’d be a snowflake if you cried about that.

Lol. WTF are you taking about?
But that is what Biz said happened, that they were asked to turn over their phones and then he air played them on his TV. It seems bizarre, but that appears to be the supposed issue, not just showing the coach some family pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad