GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They can't really do all that much loading up at the deadline as they have already spent $5M of his $7M LTIR. So they pretty much have already done the loading. If he does come back they better hope that they can make a run of it because next year they will be in big cap hell. They would have $10M with the cap at $87.5M with 14 players. Toews will eat up at least $8M of that meaning they will have to start shedding a lot of money just to ice a 20 man roster.
You mean....they'll become us.:D

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bissonette is a flatulent windbag and attention seeker. Whitney too. I hope they get their asses sued off if this turns out to be a character assassination drive-by to pile on Babcock. Though Babcock even in an Instagram world probably shouldn't necessarily lead his pre-camp relationship building with sharing dog, wife, and kids pics and apple pie recipes.

The full picture will come out with the NHLPA and League now looking into it. Flipside is if Babcock is shown to have any malevolent motive this would be the end of the line. I'll err for well intended mistake and innocence until proven guilty over the hyperbolic duo.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
No member of management should be asking for family or personal pictures. I'd be going to HR in a split second.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t understand the Price fall out? What exactly happened to him? I dont think the media has ever said what his issue is (just say health related).

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
And say what? The boss asked if he can see a picture of my family?
"Boss threatened to sack me if I didn't show him my phone. I told him I had private information in there I did not want to share with anyone but he still threatened. He told me my peepee was going to get slapped as I was walking over here...
... now I'm wondering what he meant by sacking me"

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
"Boss threatened to sack me if I didn't show him my phone. I told him I had private information in there I did not want to share with anyone but he still threatened. He told me my peepee was going to get slapped as I was walking over here"
Haha I don’t think that’s how it went down.

• Haha
Reactions: ZJuice

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I find him so abnoxous. Frat boy like
Yeah, the Spittin Chiclets guys are basically a podcast that amplifies the bro culture aspect of hockey. In this case, it appears they exaggerated a story too much to drive interest (and/or grind an axe against Babcock). They seem to have forgotten that such "fun" becomes more than a joke when one makes serious accusations against a professional organization and its personnel.

No member of management should be asking for family or personal pictures. I'd be going to HR in a split second.
This would be like you texting the exchange to Jim Cramer and then being shocked when he leads with it on Mad Money.

Reactions: TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So I read Ratmus "The Oilers are pretenders" Anderson is probably going to be the Flames captain lulz

Guess they had to name somebody that they know will actually be there beyond this season that isn't yet mailing it in on a retirement contract.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bissonette is a flatulent windbag and attention seeker. Whitney too. I hope they get their asses sued off if this turns out to be a character assassination drive-by to pile on Babcock. Though Babcock even in an Instagram world probably shouldn't necessarily lead his pre-camp relationship building with sharing dog, wife, and kids pics and apple pie recipes.

The full picture will come out with the NHLPA and League now looking into it. Flipside is if Babcock is shown to have any malevolent motive this would be the end of the line. I'll err for well intended mistake and innocence until proven guilty over the hyperbolic duo.
The problem here as discussed on Gregor's show yesterday is there is obviously something up.

Somebody from the Jackets leaked that this upset them. So now you essentially have someone in the room that right from the start causing a disturbance in the locker room. I don't think Babcock's overall intention was bad here, but it did enough for someone to leak some information. Not a good start for CBJ.

It's really a way for someone that didn't want to fall into peer pressure to make their voice heard.

Now unlike travel at x-mas and forced practice after the season is done, I literally have no idea what the CBA says about something like this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The problem here as discussed on Gregor's show yesterday is there is obviously something up.

Somebody from the Jackets leaked that this upset them. So now you essentially have someone in the room that right from the start causing a disturbance in the locker room. I don't think Babcock's overall intention was bad here, but it did enough for someone to leak some information. Not a good start for CBJ.

It's really a way for someone that didn't want to fall into peer pressure to make their voice heard.

Now unlike travel at x-mas and forced practice after the season is done, I literally have no idea what the CBA says about something like this.
I didn't hear Gregor's show. Will have to give it a listen if I can find the podcast.

Reality though is this is this is a league with millionaire unionized workforce in which about 99% have agents and also all have a player's association to govern issues. There are clear avenues available to foster complaints beginning with expressing discomfort directly to the coach and/or GM and/or team H.R. and to one's agent and to the NHLPA. The cowardly approach is to leak it to two ex-players with a long standing grudge against Babcock.

These are apex players who through talent and will have endured a process of hockey Darwinism that weeds out about 90% of everyone who plays the game. Hardly meek, shrinking violet personality types. Going around all of the formalized tools available including options to do so anonymously is chicken shit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I read this 3X trying to figure out wtf it means. Translation? heh

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't hear Gregor's show. Will have to give it a listen if I can find the podcast.

Reality though is this is this is a league with millionaire unionized workforce in which about 99% have agents and also all have a player's association to govern issues. There are clear avenues available to foster complaints beginning with expressing discomfort directly to the coach and/or GM and/or team H.R. and to one's agent and to the NHLPA. The cowardly approach is to leak it to two ex-players with a long standing grudge against Babcock.

These are apex players who through talent and will have endured a process of hockey Darwinism that weeds out about 90% of everyone who plays the game. Hardly meek, shrinking violet personality types. Going around all of the formalized tools available including options to do so anonymously is chicken shit.
This truly isn't an option

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Must be a slow news day. I have no idea why anybody would listen to anything on spittin chiclets.

This is nothing.

All of the CBJ player leaders have stated this was innocent, just team bonding, and nobody heard any complaints about it. Complete and utter fabrication by Bissonette.

This is the trouble I have with sports podcasts. Theres no line of fire or responsibility. Had Bissonette worked for an actual media outlet he would be fired today for gross misrepresentation or at best being a f***ing liar. But tied to some nebulous spittin chicklets podcast theres nobody to answer to except other equally disposed morons.

When people listen to this crap they support it. Why do that?

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This truly isn't an option
At minimum, an anonymous complaint to team HR. There is a way to express discomfort directly to coach and GM although I appreciate your point about difficult conversations with superiors. Though that takes courage and character and with full system support available including player agent and union. The cowardly approach is to do what was done. Now the team's captain and its best player are thrown into the situation to counter a cowardly anonymous sniping. Don't like it, step up and be a man about it.

Per Gaudreau: "It was his way of kinda getting to know me, and I got to get to know him," Gaudreau said. "I wasn't uncomfortable at all. I was showing him pictures of my family. If I had (a) problem with it, I would've been like, 'I don't think I'm comfortable with that.' But I had no problem with it."

Kekalainen stepped up to make a controversial hire while quite likely having his own job at risk if C-Bus continues to flounder. This is just a cowardly way when there are significant support and legal vehicles available to you.

Respect your posts on this. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Must be a slow news day. I have no idea why anybody would listen to anything on spittin chiclets.

This is nothing.

All of the CBJ player leaders have stated this was innocent, just team bonding, and nobody heard any complaints about it. Complete and utter fabrication by Bissonette.

This is the trouble I have with sports podcasts. Theres no line of fire or responsibility. Had Bissonette worked for an actual media outlet he would be fired today for gross misrepresentation or at best being a f***ing liar. But tied to some nebulous spittin chicklets podcast theres nobody to answer to except other equally disposed morons.

When people listen to this crap they support it. Why do that?
Isn't that windbag on TNT hockey with Gretzky and co on the panel.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I read this 3X trying to figure out wtf it means. Translation? heh
Trying to say that we live in a pretty transparent world of social media in which people including hockey players freely share (often overshare) their lives or market their 'brand' through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook et all. It's not that far fetch to try to engage younger generation of hockey players by requesting to share photos as a means to ice break and learn about them as individuals. Initial step to form a personal relationship to first understand, build affinity, and ultimately motivate within the team context. A lot of players already choose to make their lives public through their socials.

Babcock somewhere mentioned getting coaching from an Ohio State professor or something about how to better coach diverse individual personality types in ways that best motivate and drive them. Wouldn't be surprised if this idea stems from academia hence my sarcasm about adding sharing apple pie recipes.

Think this is well intended but clunky. Good fodder though for a chicken shit anonymous malcontent spooning up to two morons with an axe to grind and a bro platform to stir up shit to try to sink Babcock before his first C-Bus training camp begins.

Hope this deciphers my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad