GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like several players from the 2018 draft have turned their Instagram and X feeds to private. Carter Hart also for a short term deleted flyers from his account

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He's certainly an interesting guy.

Eakins is a joke but considering that was Yak's reaction to getting benched for a bad play and subsequent healthy scratch is rather telling about how hard he was to coach.
Sure. But its fair that he went into detail on his own problems as well. But he was very young right, and in a foreign country. In a foreign culture. The kid was overwhelmed in 2nd season during Eakins tenure and even years ago a can't miss stud like Jason Arnott had some problems after a good rookie season. Yak had a good rook season too.

Its interesting the people that Yak does credit, and they were there for him. Hordichuk, Roy, Krueger, later Hartley.

You don't go hard at a rookie and scream at him for mistakes. What kind of coward NHL coach does that? Dallas Eakins. Every other coach we had managed Yak better. But Eakins broke him. Was saying it at the time.

In anycase if this was Yaks reaction as an adult then I think every criticism could be warranted. But it occurred at a young age and while the player was vulnerable and under a lot of pressure in a foreign land. Its telling that Yak glued right to the few people that showed they would be there for him.

Other players made attempts too, but not to the degree that Hordichuk did. What a great guy he was. Telling as well it came from a vet and the Oilers didn't have a lot of those strong in the room vet kind of guys at the time. They were lacking in that ingredient. Its often the vets that have the rookies backs.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It turns out that Dallas Eakins is a Zen master and that is why mere mortals like ourselves cannot understand him.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Any idea what the deal is with Archibald? Tampa waived and released as he had no plans to to play in near future! Long Covid or other health issues for him or family?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One of the most overrated players that I ever remember.
His defensive game is bad but he’s putting up some of the best offensive numbers by a Dman his age in NHL history. If he was playing on our PP he’d probably be a 100 point player.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
His defensive game is bad but he’s putting up some of the best offensive numbers by a Dman his age in NHL history. If he was playing on our PP he’d probably be a 100 point player.

Eh, he had 42 ES/SH points last season. That's the same amount as Nurse.

He did lead the league in PP points by a defenceman with 34 but he would need to massively increase his production off of the power play to be a 100 point player.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

He’s definitely an offensive dynamo, but I see him ranked in the top 5 on best d men in the league lists which is absurd IMO.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Avs "hoping" Landeskog will return for the playoffs.

Wheels set in motion to have him on LTIR all season, have him "lightly" skate with the team around February, let the Avs load up at the deadline, and through miraculous healing methods, have him ready for round 1, game 1 like he hasn't missed one second of the regular season.

Sounds oddly, oddly familiar.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023

Wheels set in motion to have him on LTIR all season, have him "lightly" skate with the team around February, let the Avs load up at the deadline, and through miraculous healing methods, have him ready for round 1, game 1 like he hasn't missed one second of the regular season.

I hope we are in such a comfortable playoff spot and Nurse tweaks something for a while lol

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They can't really do all that much loading up at the deadline as they have already spent $5M of his $7M LTIR. So they pretty much have already done the loading. If he does come back they better hope that they can make a run of it because next year they will be in big cap hell. They would have $10M with the cap at $87.5M with 14 players. Toews will eat up at least $8M of that meaning they will have to start shedding a lot of money just to ice a 20 man roster.

Reactions: joestevens29

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Anybody hear about dipstick Babcock asking Columbus players for their phones so be can look through their pictures?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Anybody hear about dipstick Babcock asking Columbus players for their phones so be can look through their pictures?
The allegations are being made by dipstick Bissonette so I'll hold judgement until the results of the investigation have been released

Edit: right on cue, the Spittin Chiclets guys are trying to walk back their comments a bit

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The allegations are being made by dipstick Bissonette so I'll hold judgement until the results of the investigation have been released

Edit: right on cue, the Spittin Chiclets guys are trying to walk back their comments a bit

Isn't that backing up their comments even further? Basically saying if a Blue Jackets player says its all nonsense that it's to save themselves, not because it isn't true.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Goodness. I mean I hate trial by social media but those guys are pretty connected.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Isn't that backing up their comments even further? Basically saying if a Blue Jackets player says its all nonsense that it's to save themselves, not because it isn't true.
It sounds like they are bracing for a report/person to contradict what they said. Whitney appears to trying to get in front of something with this tweet.
Goodness. I mean I hate trial by social media but those guys are pretty connected.
After being forced to watch numerous Oilers games on TNT, I've seen Bissonette in the studio segments try to sensationalize numerous topics only to have one of Tocchet, Carter, Lundqvist, etc... demonstrate how he's taking something out of context or exaggerating. I'm not saying he's lying, but I would like to see this come from a more reliable source.

Jack Han tweeted today that a similar summer picture request Babcock did with the Leafs coaching staff a few years back was more awkward than offensive.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sounds like Babcock was just being a weirdo. Not some crazy guy forcing players to show him all the pictures on their phone.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They can't really do all that much loading up at the deadline as they have already spent $5M of his $7M LTIR. So they pretty much have already done the loading. If he does come back they better hope that they can make a run of it because next year they will be in big cap hell. They would have $10M with the cap at $87.5M with 14 players. Toews will eat up at least $8M of that meaning they will have to start shedding a lot of money just to ice a 20 man roster.
The Avs forward group looks horrible if Drouin, Tatar and RyJo don't have good seasons.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
As usual, Bissonette becomes louder after he realizes he went out on too thin of branch. I get certain fans find him entertaining when he tells his embellished stories, but he isn't that reliable of a narrator.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
As usual, Bissonette becomes louder after he realizes he went out on too thin of branch. I get certain fans find him entertaining when he tells his embellished stories, but he isn't that reliable of a narrator.
This whole thing comes off to me as petty schoolyard gossip/tabloid drama from people with an axe to grind with Babcock and nothing else (see also Commodore, Mike).

Not endorsing Babcock's character or giving him the benefit of the doubt, but this really seems to be something blown out of proportion/context to try and tap into the social media outrage mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad