GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don't know if you heard Petterson on 32 thoughts or not, but he sounded about as non-committal as someone could possibly be about re-singing there without outright saying "it would take a miracle for me to want to sign here long term."

The Nucks are a weird group because they have some talent and should conceivably be competitive, but there's just "something" missing. I think a lot of their problem is they don't really have an alpha in the room that can pull all the personalities together. Miller is a crybaby malcontent, Petterson has the personality of a mop and doesn't want to be there apparently, Hughes seems to also be a quieter personality while being maybe the most overrated player in memory (IMO), etc. They kind of just have a smattering of talented players that all have their own reason to be upset with their situation in Vancouver.

EP looks dead inside as a Canuck. No way he enjoys being a Canuck. His body language on ice speaks for itself.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
EP looks dead inside as a Canuck. No way he enjoys being a Canuck. His body language on ice speaks for itself.
Not exactly “captain material” IMO
There doesn’t seem to be a vocal leader in that Nucks room outside JT Miller and he’s a whiny bitch
I knew Connor isn’t exactly a rah rah guy but when you’re the best player on the planet it’s not hard to follow his lead

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeh it’s Rocky IV but instead of a hard, desolate, and challenging environment with no distractions to train in, he chose a tropical vacation paradise lol.
Really sounds like Rocky III to me, where he doesn't train worth a shit and gets knocked out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not exactly “captain material” IMO
There doesn’t seem to be a vocal leader in that Nucks room outside JT Miller and he’s a whiny bitch
I knew Connor isn’t exactly a rah rah guy but when you’re the best player on the planet it’s not hard to follow his lead
I don't know about this Miller character. When they hired Tocchet they were mentioning he is there to help rein in Miller. Soon as I read that I shook my head.

So you knew the guy was a piece of shit to deal with and you extended him anyway? Never made sense to me. Is a pretty good player and all, but he's not some sort of franchise player or even franchise lite player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's amazing how Winnipeg has this problem with players wanting out but always manages to sidestep it by trading these veterans out and getting great returns involving RFA controlled players.

They may be taking advantage of the fact that the league is trending younger, but most teams still chase big names.

He hasnt seen winter yet
If he hates it and wants out, Winnipeg will tell him to play his ass off to increase his trade value, and he will get his wish sooner.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yikes at that comment from Vilardi, lol. I mean it's still technically summer. Though really no team in Canada can really brag about having good weather in the winter.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
So it's still bad ? :laugh:

I like this answer though, it's much better than a cookie-cutter politically correct response.
As someone who lives just outside of Winnipeg, I can confirm any rich athlete that says the enjoy living in Winnipeg now a days is lying.

Sure, they do have a passionate fan base. The downtown is a zombie land though; and it's only getting worse. It's definitely not a city to be in if you're a millionaire.

I've always thought Edmonton is a really nice city when I've gone there, a lot of people do say otherwise though. I guess for me when Winnipeg is the big city you're accustomed to, basically every other bigger city in Canada come across as a nice place to live

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As someone who lives just outside of Winnipeg, I can confirm any rich athlete that says the enjoy living in Winnipeg now a days is lying.

Sure, they do have a passionate fan base. The downtown is a zombie land though; and it's only getting worse. It's definitely not a city to be in if you're a millionaire.

I've always thought Edmonton is a really nice city when I've gone there, a lot of people do say otherwise though. I guess for me when Winnipeg is the big city you're accustomed to, basically every other bigger city in Canada come across as a nice place to live
As a visitor I don't mind Winnipeg. The area around the Forks is nice as is the area around the University of Manitoba. There are also some really residential areas that are affordable and quite livable. But I must admit the the downtown area is a real negative even by smaller Canadian city standards. I also don't think it is the type of city that a rich young athlete would be overly enthusiastic about. It's very isolated and travel in and out of the city is complicated.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
As a visitor I don't mind Winnipeg. The area around the Forks is nice as is the area around the University of Manitoba. There are also some really residential areas that are affordable and quite livable. But I must admit the the downtown area is a real negative even by smaller Canadian city standards. I also don't think it is the type of city that a rich young athlete would be overly enthusiastic about. It's very isolated and travel in and out of the city is complicated.
Those 2 areas are definitely nicer parts of Winnipeg. In saying that though, the last few years even the Forks has had quite a bit of crime.

The gang activity & drug abuse is definitely spreading into areas that were once considered safe places to visit.

Obviously there's nice places to live, but in terms of public areas it's becoming harder & harder to find.

The Sterling Lyon pkwy area is probably my favorite part of the city now, seems like it's typically pretty nice & clean from my experience

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
FYI the Athletic Subscription is on sale for $1 per month for 12 months. It's usually like $100 for a year.
I recently signed up for a year subscription to the NY times for the same price, and they own the Athletic, so that’s included. Pretty sweet deal, might still be available if you hunt for it.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
He's a weird one.

He is also the first player that I have heard of that flat out told reporters he would choose a gold medal over a Stanley Cup. I know that goes for a lot of Euros and a medal is a very big thing.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's a weird one.

He is also the first player that I have heard of that flat out told reporters he would choose a gold medal over a Stanley Cup. I know that goes for a lot of Euros and a medal is a very big thing.

Does he not fit the exact profile of prototypical star Nuck player?

Highly talented, weird or understated personality, soft as butter, massive diver. He’s Sedin twin lite.

Naslund, Sedins, Bure (less so than the first two) all fit various parts of this profile to varying degrees. It’s uncanny.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Kid seems daft

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad