GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What is Oilers fans obsession with saying Marner is better than Matthews? Seems like something I only ever hear from Oiler fans.

Oilers fans just trying to be helpful and help ppl understand the game. While Matthews is picking those giant nostrils on the bench thinking about how to maximize his earnings, Marner is trusted by the coach to play all the hard situations on the ice. Marner also keeps outscoring Auston even with all the increased work load. It's remarkable, honestly. Marner is a great player, leafs would be screwed without him. He's also 10 times the leader Matthews is.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hi everyone - I've been asked to post this by a brain dead Leaf fan who crawled into my DM's. He says he doesn't have "privileges", so he is insistent I post on his behalf. His name is @Jeremy if you would like to thank him personally for the enlightening information.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Hi everyone - I've been asked to post this by a brain dead Leaf fan who crawled into my DM's. He says he doesn't have "privileges", so he is insistent I post on his behalf. His name is @Jeremy if you would like to thank him personally for the enlightening information.

That loser slid into my dm's too. Pathetic haha

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Fair and balanced reporting on HF Oil.

The funny thing is this is a uniquely Leaf created problem. I'm convinced if those two played in say, Florida, they would have received the standard issue star player deal coming off their ELC (call it ~8M-9M AAV for 4-5 years). Instead they play in a market where the fans and media tried their absolute hardest to put them on the pedestal of McDavid and Drai, but they just aren't those players. However they are paid that way, just on shittier deals due to the term.

In the range of the Nylander deal coming off their ELC (say around $1M AAV more) would have made sense. Whatever it was they signed just didn't.

Reactions: frag2 and BlackDogg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That loser slid into my dm's too. Pathetic haha
The Nylander contract comes up way before McDavids. He should worry about his own team instead of obsessing over potential troubles with the Oilers.

Oilers fans are very insecure about Matthews. As an Oilers fan I actually find it embarrassing.
I hate both Mathews and Marner equally.:D

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Matthews scoring 4 goals in his first game actually sinks the Leafs long term.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Spare me. Leaf fans are the exact same way with Draisaitl.

Maybe, but I don't go to their board so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that I've read a lot of cringy Matthews posts on these boards over the years. The ones that make fun of his physical appearance are especially childish.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I like how they selectively use his interview.

They conveniently left out “I love playing in Edmonton, and I really feel at home there. Lauren loves being in Edmonton. There are a lot – a lot — of things that check the boxes for us in Edmonton. We're super comfortable there,” McDavid said.
“But I love playing in Edmonton, I'm 100 per cent committed to winning in Edmonton with this group…and we're gonna see it through.”

@Jeremy pop that into your pipe and smoke it.

Someone must have left a gate open. We have all these Leaf fans coming in here and shitting on our lawn.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Maybe, but I don't go to their board so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that I've read a lot of cringy Matthews posts on these boards over the years. The ones that make fun of his physical appearance are especially childish.
giphy.gif

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Oilers fans just trying to be helpful and help ppl understand the game. While Matthews is picking those giant nostrils on the bench thinking about how to maximize his earnings, Marner is trusted by the coach to play all the hard situations on the ice. Marner also keeps outscoring Auston even with all the increased work load. It's remarkable, honestly. Marner is a great player, leafs would be screwed without him. He's also 10 times the leader Matthews is.
Yup.. Pretty much. been saying this for some years now. Marner is the heart beat of the team. He drives the play and creates space for Matthews. If he's going, Matthews is naturally going. If he's not, Matthews is not. And if they are split apart he keeps producing while Matthews does squat. It's well established by now that Matthews can't drive his own line and needs Marner to garner any sort of really good production. Dude is a passenger.

IMO you could trade Matthews tomorrow, get a good haul in return and the team would still be just fine as long as Marner is still there. Bold take but I firmly believe it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

These changes are very interesting

Shorthanded goal nullifies your penalty? As I said on main board, I've heard a lot of stupid suggestions on these boards before. Nothing that stupid though.

Also taking away from the natural 5 on 5 part of the game.

Seems like a gimmick for a league that must be having problems with viewership

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Shorthanded goal nullifies your penalty? As I said on main board, I've heard a lot of stupid suggestions on these boards before. Nothing that stupid though.

Also taking away from the natural 5 on 5 part of the game.

Seems like a gimmick for a league that must be having problems with viewership
Maybe, I disagree. It adds weight to the idea of being penalized. If you're just stuck short for 2 mins, it going to make teams hesitate about taking infractions(probably)

Also, if you can nullify a PP with a shorty, that total rachets up the stakes.

I want to see how it works in another league, but I think it's very interesting. Though, for the NHL, it would probably just means they'll stop calling penalties entirely.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe, I disagree. It adds weight to the idea of being penalized. If you're just stuck short for 2 mins, it going to make teams hesitate about taking infractions(probably)

Also, if you can nullify a PP with a shorty, that total rachets up the stakes.

I want to see how it works in another league, but I think it's very interesting. Though, for the NHL, it would probably just means they'll stop calling penalties entirely.
This would also happen if the NHL just actually called penalties the way they were written in the rule book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad