GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

Kind of makes me wonder if the league making more money than ever is just a smoke screen after all. I hear it as a rebuttal to the idea that NHL isn't doing good, but more and more, seems like it is being overtaken by others. Not really a good look for nhl idf that's the case.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Kind of makes me wonder if the league making more money than ever is just a smoke screen after all. I hear it as a rebuttal to the idea that NHL isn't doing good, but more and more, seems like it is being overtaken by others. Not really a good look for nhl idf that's the case.
They're probably making decent money, they're just losing market share to much more accessible and affordable sports. That is a problem that will never go away, no matter how many Stanley cups they hand over to sunbelt teams in the US.

MLS is probably going lap the NHL very soon too, and maybe even challenge for the top spot in both Canada/US in the coming decades. Especially if both countries continue to practice unfettered immigration from soccer crazy nations around the globe.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't think it's a smoke screen at all. League financially is in the best place it's ever been. The reason they aren't higher on that chart is because those other sports have just grown so much more.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Don't think it's a smoke screen at all. League financially is in the best place it's ever been. The reason they aren't higher on that chart is because those other sports have just grown so much more.
And I suspect it is because betting is bigger in the others sports. I hate the betting ads but there is no arguing that betting drives sports income.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Being a Leaf fan must be some kind of slow torture.

for years now, it's been the MO to raise expectations and then crap the bed when it matters. It would be easier to cheer for a bottom feeder. Worse than that, it's not obvious who out of the top 4 forwards to trade. The one obvious one is Tavares, with the full NMC, so it's like a tantalizing fantasy. It can't be Matthews, because he's their top player, 1C. Nylander is the one that shows up in the playoffs. Marner is often their best player, and hard to move at that cap hit. They seem to all take turns being bad or good.

Now this Matthews situation. Nylander is quoted saying he doesn't want to be the only one to leave money on the table to win. That means he would leave money on the table to win if Matthews would. So, because being a Leaf fan is torture, of course it's the one player they just cannot decide to move, Matthews, who is demanding a massive raise instead of taking similar money as MacKinnon and McDavid, and wants that huge cash at short term so he can cash in even more later. So now the one player they should love the most, the face of their team, is just a huge buzz kill and seems like he's holding the team back. If Matthews and Nylander signed at small raises, and then Marner followed, that would open up a huge window to win as the cap expands. Looks like that's not happening.

My view of this - Matthews is a POS and is not the guy that you want leading your hockey team. They will not win anything when your best player approaches contract situations with the attitude of “f*** all of you, got mine.”

Keep Marner, keep Nylander, make Matthews somebody else’s problem and use the space to build quality depth. They would still have a very high top end and cut this bullshit mentality off at the knees. I don’t think it’s possible to win if your top player is paid true market value every season of his career and is constantly holding the team over a barrel. It just doesn’t work. Especially when Marner seem to be taking this tact too.

The culture around that team needs to move away from “Matthews and Marner have such unique personalities!!! Look they’re friends with Bieber!!!” and more towards building as a cohesive unit. There hasn’t been any point that I’ve ever got the impression that the Leafs function as a true cohesive team. It’s those two dumbasses, then everyone else.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They would have made the playoffs last year if they had any other coach besides Sutter. This year they still have the same lineup so I wouldn't be surprised if they finish as high as second in the Pacific.

The other side of that is the fact that they were a middling, shitty team that was in the wilderness a bit with a much better roster on paper than they have now before Sutter got there.

I think last year was a product of reverting to the mean after Sutter juiced them up in his first year there, but not really different than what should actually be expected out of them.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Almost amazes me to think some people don't vote that Mid 80s team as the greatest machine to ever exist in hockey. They literally use to cruise through the regular season half ass, and still be the best. Scoring over 400 goals 4 times. 9 cups in 10 years spujda about right.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023

Not sure what demons he battles but huge respect to Kylington for walking away for a year and dealing with his issues. Hope he has a great year, just not against the Oilers.

All I kept hearing from the start of last year was that his mom in a country at war and that obviously affected him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
IMG_20230817_192518.jpg

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I agree but how successful have the franchises who operate in such a manner been in the last few years. Flyers just did a massive purge of the Hextall era. We flushed out the OBC. ect.
Doubt many Avalanche fans are complaining about Sakic in the GM role these days.

There is no real formula for what makes a successful GM hire outside of striking it rich in the draft though, which seems to be a common theme in almost every instance of successful Stanley cup GMs and tends to be something they have very little control over.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad