GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They had a player file for arbitration (Samsonov) so they get another buyout window in a day or two that opens. Murray makes over $4M so he can be bought out or if his injured for the year put on LTIR. Either way Leafs aren’t going to be in as big a trouble as people think.
Being under by 64k with a 20 man roster is a pretty big problem, their AHL team may be in Toronto but half the season is played on the road

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
They had a player file for arbitration (Samsonov) so they get another buyout window in a day or two that opens. Murray makes over $4M so he can be bought out or if his injured for the year put on LTIR. Either way Leafs aren’t going to be in as big a trouble as people think.

IF the leafs can even buy out Murray (which is a big IF given his history). They are still 2.756M over the cap with a 22 man roster. Even with a 20 man roster they are still 700k+ over the cap.

Trading Jarnkrok seems like the most likely option but even that would leave them with a 20 man roster. :/

1690210337345.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I keep reading and hearing that Matthews wants a 3 year deal to maximize his next contract. Let's se how much Tre overpays him. Laughable that he will be the highest paid player in the league. They will never win with that "me first" guy. It trickles down the lineup.

You can already see it with Nylander too. If you're sitting there ready to sign a team friendly deal to keep the team competitive, why would you if the best on the team doesn't give a f***? You're basically giving your money to your teammate that doesn't care as much as you do.

Matthews is almost unprecedented in this sense. I can't ever recall a player of his stature so directly and obviously taking a "me first" approach to literally everything he does.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Flames fans talk about Dustin Wolf like he's the next Patrick Roy. I hope Wolf is ready for that amount of pressure in Calgary when he finally gets called up.

I don't have near enough knowledge of his game to make a proclamation about his future one way or another, but fact remains he's a small goalie, and success for small goalies doesn't directly translate to the NHL. Flame fans are still confused with respect to the reality that AHL results don't equal NHL results. You'd swear Matthew Phillips was the next coming of Crosby based on nothing other than "he leads the AHL in scoring!" as if that is some sort of tell for a star studded NHL career.

There's a reason he was a 7th rounder in the end, and it wasn't anything to do with the results he put out on the ice.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IF the leafs can even buy out Murray (which is a big IF given his history). They are still 2.756M over the cap with a 22 man roster. Even with a 20 man roster they are still 700k+ over the cap.

Trading Jarnkrok seems like the most likely option but even that would leave them with a 20 man roster. :/

View attachment 730844

If they run a 20 man roster which they easily can do and have done in the past given their AHL team is in their city, buyout Murray, send Robertson, Knies (who doesn’t require waivers) and Timmins down, they clear the cap by 65k.

Either way I am sure their capologist isn’t some schmuck like us using Cap Friendly and they know what they are doing.

IMG_9099.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

Being under by 64k with a 20 man roster is a pretty big problem, their AHL team may be in Toronto but half the season is played on the road

True but they run charters and private planes so it’s no big deal, even if they have to play a man short for a game. Hell, Woodcroft basically plays a 9-6 half the season pretending to play an 11-7.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If they run a 20 man roster which they easily can do and have done in the past given their AHL team is in their city, buyout Murray, send Robertson, Knies (who doesn’t require waivers) and Timmins down, they clear the cap by 65k.

Either way I am sure their capologist isn’t some schmuck like us using Cap Friendly and they know what they are doing.

View attachment 730859

View attachment 730860

True but they run charters and private planes so it’s no big deal, even if they have to play a man short for a game. Hell, Woodcroft basically plays a 9-6 half the season pretending to play an 11-7.
The biggest issue will be when players aren’t healthy enough to play, but won’t be out long enough to go on IR.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

View attachment 730859

View attachment 730860

Ah I see the difference. Robertson was on IR by default. They would have to be able to send him down as well.

So if they can

1) buyout Murray
2) send Robertson down
3) send Timmins down
4) AND send down Knies

They can BARELY squeeze in a 20 man roster. I'm sure they won't suffer a single injury this year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah I see the difference. Robertson was on IR by default. They would have to be able to send him down as well.

So if they can

1) buyout Murray
2) send Robertson down
3) send Timmins down
4) AND send down Knies

They can BARELY squeeze in a 20 man roster. I'm sure they won't suffer a single injury this year.

Agree it’s not ideal and as @Tobias Kahun said the danger is short term injury. But it’s the Leafs and I’m sure Bettman will look the other way when they place someone on IR who doesn’t qualify.

Maybe they trade for someone whose on LTIR this year to artificially increase their cap.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Agree it’s not ideal and as @Tobias Kahun said the danger is short term injury. But it’s the Leafs and I’m sure Bettman will look the other way when they place someone on IR who doesn’t qualify.

Maybe they trade for someone whose on LTIR this year to artificially increase their cap.

They'd need to have space before the trade as well, so that's kinda out of the question for them.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yes I understand that but for cap compliance prior to Game 1 do you need to be below the cap including players on LTIR?

From Puck Pedia:
Teams that need to use LTIR to be cap compliant on Opening Day, but are over the cap by significantly less than the LTIR player's Cap Hit

As discussed in the LTIR overview, if a team cannot be cap compliant to start the year without being on LTIR, then the LTIR pool (the amount the team can exceed the salary cap) is the amount the team is over the cap. Therefore, if a team is too far over the cap to make roster moves to get under before putting the player on LTIR, but not enough over to be close to the injured player's Cap Hit, the LTIR pool will be quite a bit less than the injured player's cap hit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who will probably considered the league's best ever defensive forward retires officially.

Bob Gainey probably contests that title but Bergeron is top 3 with maybe Carbonneau? Certainly PB is the best of his era.

Bruins won’t be the same without him. Wish they won the cup instead of the Knights (if we couldnt win that is lol)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of people like to complain about the flat cap and lack of compliance buyout, but here we are again with another team(Toronto) that put themselves in this spot.

Why sign Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg to close to 13mil in salary. Teams have no one but themselves to blame when it comes to cap issues.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lots of people like to complain about the flat cap and lack of compliance buyout, but here we are again with another team(Toronto) that put themselves in this spot.

Why sign Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg to close to 13mil in salary. Teams have no one but themselves to blame when it comes to cap issues.

The Klingberg one is especially puzzling.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Who will probably considered the league's best ever defensive forward retires officially.

One of the most likeable players that ever played in this league. Nothing but class and appreciation for Bergeron. They should rename the Selke after him at some point. Still love him for helping prevent the stupid canucks from winning a cup (especially piece of shit Kesler)

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
CALGARY = NO GOOD

The Calgary Stampede has accepted liability and negligence that the organization was aware an adult staffer with The Young Canadians had been abusing teenage boys for years before a police investigation was launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad