GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I can guarantee you that most Canadian players (probably 95% of them) just think America is a better place to live. Particularly because of the famous cities and in some cases 0 property taxes. Not to mention there's often much better weather.

I don't really think America is even a "better' country than Canada because it has plenty of problems but players just like America better in general. The NHL is an American league and players love American markets. That's just how it is and 0 can be done about it.
I am assuming that you are talking about state income tax. I don't know any state that does not have property tax.

The tax situation is actually a lot more complex than most realize. In fact, for American players or Canadians with a US residence there are ways to reduce Canadian taxes to levels that are actually less than what players might pay in the US.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not saying this is accurate at all because to be honest I’m not even sure where it came from, but it was forwarded to me by a fellow fan.

I think we can all agree that the top slot is accurate for sure. :laugh:

1689815623999.jpeg

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not saying this is accurate at all because to be honest I’m not even sure where it came from, but it was forwarded to me by a fellow fan.

I think we can all agree that the top slot is accurate for sure. :laugh:

View attachment 730009
Backlund seems to be on his way out as well. Reported in Swedish papers that he does not want to sign right now even though he had an offer from CGY. Basically said that it was a crappy year with too many negative developments for the team. Adding that he could re-consider if the coming season goes great, but basically little chance of that, so he is more or less expecting to get traded.

Hanafin out as well after this season, and Lindholm (my guess, unless they through a massive over-payment on him).

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Backlund seems to be on his way out as well. Reported in Swedish papers that he does not want to sign right now even though he had an offer from CGY. Basically said that it was a crappy year with too many negative developments for the team. Adding that he could re-consider if the coming season goes great, but basically little chance of that, so he is more or less expecting to get traded.

Hanafin out as well after this season, and Lindholm (my guess, unless they through a massive over-payment on him).

If the Flame's master plan is to wait for the deadline to deal these guys (which is probably almost their only option at this point) they are in for a surprise in terms of what the return looks like. There are a lot of quality players on expiring deals that will be out there at the deadline, 100% a buyer's market. Meanwhile the one guy they did trade was the only guy on their team that could drive offense with any degree of consistency.

They continue to fumble the ball so badly and I love every second of it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the Flame's master plan is to wait for the deadline to deal these guys (which is probably almost their only option at this point) they are in for a surprise in terms of what the return looks like. There are a lot of quality players on expiring deals that will be out there at the deadline, 100% a buyer's market. Meanwhile the one guy they did trade was the only guy on their team that could drive offense with any degree of consistency.

Seems like they will be competing against the Jets in this aspect as well.

Now I don't really know all the details of Calgary's first, but it seems like they probably don't have one this coming year. So if that's the case at least for them being better throughout the year doesn't hurt their draft spot.

The point still kinda stands though you have Calgary and Winnipeg with guys apparently leaving regardless of this upcoming season. Then add all the other teams that become sellers and it could very well be a decent buyers market this trade deadline.

Then of course there is also that wild card that one of your best trade assets as of today is hurt and you can't get anything for them at the deadline. Really playing with fire

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Would the last person to leave Calgary, please shut off the lights. Thank you.

The Flames' current disposition of their management and coaching staff reminds me of the late 90's when a long series of D level coaches/managers were thrown into those positions due to the fact it's a D market, a team with no hope, and a team with no money.

Oh well I guess haha

Reactions: bellagiobob

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Flames' current disposition of their management and coaching staff reminds me of the late 90's when a long series of D level coaches/managers were thrown into those positions due to the fact it's a D market, a team with no hope, and a team with no money.

Oh well I guess haha
Calgary seems to be modelling themselves after Arizona

- first time GM, check
- first time NHL coach, check
- AHL level roster, check
- shitty arena, check
- greasy owner, check

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The Flames current lineup is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. They'll get to the trade deadline in a wild card spot and none of their key UFA's will be signed by then. They'll end up trading them all and end up slipping out of the wild card spot, drafting around 15. The circle of mediocrity will continue for Calgary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Flames current lineup is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. They'll get to the trade deadline in a wild card spot and none of their key UFA's will be signed by then. They'll end up trading them all and end up slipping out of the wild card spot, drafting around 15. The circle of mediocrity will continue for Calgary.
I have no idea if they even have a pick due to all those conditions on trades they made. So mediocrity might not be the worse case scenario for them this year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I have no idea if they even have a pick due to all those conditions on trades they made. So mediocrity might not be the worse case scenario for them this year.
I was trying to figure out the stipulations of the Monahan trade but it's to confusing. Either way they have to give a pick to Montreal while being a borderline playoff/lottery team for the foreseeable future.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

In a bizarro way the Flames doing the thing they have done about three times now where they finish in 1st place out of nowhere right when everyone expects them to crater might be the best thing for them from the perspective of people that hate their team.

They'll think they're "contenders" again, bow out in the first or second round, then watch everyone walk away for nothing and/or sign 30 year olds to massive deals to keep the train running. Like you said, them being at least semi competitive is the best thing for them haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad