GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
See Kane left HDA. Interesting shot he took at them as well. Gained that much more respect for the guy as Aliu seemed to be in this more to be a f*** you to the NHL than anything IMO. When has it ever been a problem having multiple groups tackle an issue?

Edmonton Oilers winger Evander Kane announced via Twitter that he is stepping away from the Hockey Diversity Alliance group, citing the fact "the HDA is now being led and influenced by members with individual agendas."

"There has also been a combative approach with other organizations and groups that have embarked on similar goals. This is a method I do not support," Kane said in his statement.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
See Kane left HDA. Interesting shot he took at them as well. Gained that much more respect for the guy as Aliu seemed to be in this more to be a f*** you to the NHL than anything IMO. When has it ever been a problem having multiple groups tackle an issue?

Edmonton Oilers winger Evander Kane announced via Twitter that he is stepping away from the Hockey Diversity Alliance group, citing the fact "the HDA is now being led and influenced by members with individual agendas."

"There has also been a combative approach with other organizations and groups that have embarked on similar goals. This is a method I do not support," Kane said in his statement.
Yep, good for Kane to get out of that mess. Some of us here were skeptical at the beginning, Aliu was very clearly not in it for the right reasons. You guys want to talk about a scumbag? Look no further. Total grift opportunity. Maybe Kane will join the other, league-led version of whatever it's supposed to be. Who knows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yep, good for Kane to get out of that mess. Some of us here were skeptical at the beginning, Aliu was very clearly not in it for the right reasons. You guys want to talk about a scumbag? Look no further. Total grift opportunity. Maybe Kane will join the other, league-led version of whatever it's supposed to be. Who knows.
My main board post. To add to it. This cause was always going to have it's hurdles and struggles. However, those hurdles and struggles shouldn't be internal. Kane can honestly just do shit on his own and have a good impact without the headaches of people with agendas.

I wonder how much impact the girl with cancer has had on him.

On one hand he's working with a ten year old girl who is such a positive young girl and spends her time raising money(close to 200k now I believe) for cancer.

On the other he is working with the HDA who while have a great cause they just don't seem to be properly ran and seem to cause him issues.

Maybe he realized I don't need this shit and will continue to work on things that don't cause stress or pointless issues. Whether or not he joins the PIC or not I don't know, but I won't be shocked if he is somehow involved working within the community in some sort of capacity.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Good on Kane to recognize and act on his concerns.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Oh for sure. One of my work buddies speculated this HDA farce was just a few guys trying to piggyback off activism to promote themselves. Pretty on brand with sports figures/celebrities.
The concept means well but what has it really amounted to? A couple of photo ops during its inception and...?

Even the Subban/Carter led one I have my doubts itll amount to anything aside from PR and thats it. League is run by old conservative farts. Nothing will change.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ryan O'Reilly admits that one of the reasons he chose Nashville was to get away from a high pressure environment.

After O"Reilly signed with the Predators, Maple Leafs' GM Brad Treliving speculated that playing in Toronto in front of a hometown crowd may have been "a thing" for O"Reilly. In yesterday's conversation, O"Reilly addressed the pressure and scrutiny that came with that spotlight and how it may have played a part in his decision to sign somewhere else.

"It is different," O'Reilly said when asked about the pressure of playing in Toronto. "I think there's so many things that come into play, but I think that was a factor as well. I just felt it was better to be somewhere else."
Young players tend to love the spotlight. Older FA's with families not so much. In the past one reason to be in a hockey mad environment was that it set you up with opportunities off the ice that could continue after your playing days. For higher end vets this is no longer a big issue.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ryan O'Reilly admits that one of the reasons he chose Nashville was to get away from a high pressure environment.

Young players tend to love the spotlight. Older FA's with families not so much. In the past one reason to be in a hockey mad environment was that it set you up with opportunities off the ice that could continue after your playing days. For higher end vets this is no longer a big issue.

Hockey Canada should start taking players refusing to sign in Canada into account when they are selecting teams for international competition. Obviously I don't think it should be a requirement to play for a Canadian team to represent team Canada. But I'm sick of these part time Canadians who are only interested in this country when it is convenient to them. They're going to refuse to waive to go to a Canadian city? Or refuse to sign in a Canadian city because the pressure is too high? f*** em. Part of Hockey Canada's goal is to build the game of hockey within Canada. That's tough to do when kids cheer for teams that no one wants to play for.

Next time Canada is looking to ice a team, a guy like Pierre Luc Dobois or Ryan O'Reilly shouldn't be receiving a call.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hockey Canada should start taking players refusing to sign in Canada into account when they are selecting teams for international competition. Obviously I don't think it should be a requirement to play for a Canadian team to represent team Canada. But I'm sick of these part time Canadians who are only interested in this country when it is convenient to them. They're going to refuse to waive to go to a Canadian city? Or refuse to sign in a Canadian city because the pressure is too high? f*** em. Part of Hockey Canada's goal is to build the game of hockey within Canada. That's tough to do when kids cheer for teams that no one wants to play for.

Next time Canada is looking to ice a team, a guy like Pierre Luc Dobois or Ryan O'Reilly shouldn't be receiving a call.

I'm obviously speaking as an armchair QB here, so maybe I would sing a different tune if I were in the hot seat, but I just can't understand how players think this way.

If I made it all the way to the dance I would want the full experience. Full arena with fans that truly care each night, loud crowds, classic rivalries, games that are the talk of the country, becoming a local god if you deliver, etc. I'd feel like I was losing out on something if I played in a market like Nashville stuffed with sideshow gimmicks and fans that are "passionate" but don't really know much about the game and certainly not the main feature on the local card.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm obviously speaking as an armchair QB here, so maybe I would sing a different tune if I were in the hot seat, but I just can't understand how players think this way.

If I made it all the way to the dance I would want the full experience. Full arena with fans that truly care each night, loud crowds, classic rivalries, games that are the talk of the country, becoming a local god if you deliver, etc. I'd feel like I was losing out on something if I played in a market like Nashville stuffed with sideshow gimmicks and fans that are "passionate" but don't really know much about the game and certainly not the main feature on the local card.
It really is the the good and bad but ramped up. When you lose and you're local, it may be harder to deal with, as all your friends, relatives, etc are always at hand. But boy, when you win, I can't imagine anything much better. Messier had his cake and ate it. A god in Edmonton, and a god in New York.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Would you rather those guys tell the truth that Canadian teams are being run ass backwards? In ROR case I don't blame the guy, he took the money and ran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad