GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
For the record again, I was not offended by the picture since I have no doubt it was innocent. But the symbolism was not really that much of a stretch since it was clear to me what the context of the post was almost immediately having seen enough film and pictures from that era.

The term "woke" quite literally means "being aware of cultural sensitivities". The Blackhawks have not been all that good in that regard so while it's probably not much in the big scheme of things this is another in a series of unforced errors from a publicity perspective.

Had you seen the press conference and not seen the post there would have been no correlation to anything from the era. That’s my point.

To call this an “unforced error” is utter nonsense. I suppose if he were wearing a rainbow pin you’d be ok with it however.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think they could have made the podium all black and some people would have been upset that it was only black, not white or rainbow. The outrage that Heater is trying to manufacture is absurd, maybe they should have given Perry some brown contact lenses.

The term woke us used to describe people who search for a reason to be offended or be offended on behalf of someone else in everything they see.
I understand that the world is overly sensitive. And I don't really want to make a big deal out of this but as soon as I saw the picture the image was clear to me. Perhaps it comes from being someone who has read a lot about the history of the era in question. As I said I have no doubt that there was no intent which is why I was not actually offended. But I am a little surprised that with all the Hawks have gone through someone didn't notice this.

As for the term "woke", the usage you speak about is definitely not the origin of the term. It's not a new term as it goes back over a decade. It originally came as a short form for "awakened to racism" but then broadened to other social issues. It has recently been co-opted by the right to denigrate pretty much any form political correctness.

Had you seen the press conference and not seen the post there would have been no correlation to anything from the era. That’s my point.

To call this an “unforced error” is utter nonsense. I suppose if he were wearing a rainbow pin you’d be ok with it however.
Your last comment says a lot about your willingness to have a civil discussion. You seem to think that all of this is just everyone being "woke". But there are real consequences to ignoring everything you seem to see as nonsense. If you don't believe that why not have a chat with my colleague who just got stabbed in her classroom for simply having a conversation.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have studied the rise and fall of the NSDAP in detail and depth including their use of propaganda and imagery, if anyone wants a detailed conversation about it let me know.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I consider myself quite well-versed in many aspects of history with an interest in the WW2 era and it took me a bit to realize what the tweet was referring to. If there was no commentary at all I likely never would have figured the same. Feels like a reach to me as well

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A case of people seeing what they want to see? It took me awhile to see what the fuss is supposedly about and needed some help from this thread tbh, even then expecting everyone to be aware of everything that might trigger someone is a pretty shitty way to live life IMO. Are all blonde haired and blue eyed people supposed to be demonized now? Complete horse shit IMO.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I understand that the world is overly sensitive. And I don't really want to make a big deal out of this but as soon as I saw the picture the image was clear to me. Perhaps it comes from being someone who has read a lot about the history of the era in question. As I said I have no doubt that there was no intent which is why I was not actually offended. But I am a little surprised that with all the Hawks have gone through someone didn't notice this.

As for the term "woke", the usage you speak about is definitely not the origin of the term. It's not a new term as it goes back over a decade. It originally came as a short form for "awakened to racism" but then broadened to other social issues. It has recently been co-opted by the right to denigrate pretty much any form political correctness.

Your last comment says a lot about your willingness to have a civil discussion. You seem to think that all of this is just everyone being "woke". But there are real consequences to ignoring everything you seem to see as nonsense. If you don't believe that why not have a chat with my colleague who just got stabbed in her classroom for simply having a conversation.

You're literally equating the colors red black and white (the actual team colors...) together on a podium as even requiring to have a conversation and being an "unforced error" by the team, whose colors they are. That is nonsense of the highest order.

The people who are being perpetually offended at everything and everybody who doesn't fit into their little PC box is doing a great job at defining what Woke is. They don't need any help from the "right", or the "middle" defining woke, and even what used to be the left is starting to be tired of their act.

At the risk of being banned yet again for political discussion thats all I will say on it. If you want to continue to "have a conversation" about the "unforced error" that is the Chicago Black Hawk jersey colors carry on, and God help you when the Calgary Flames hold a press conference using the colors of the Chinese Communist Party...although I get offended at those colors myself.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You're literally equating the colors red black and white (the actual team colors...) together on a podium as even requiring to have a conversation and being an "unforced error" by the team, whose colors they are. That is nonsense of the highest order.

The people who are being perpetually offended at everything and everybody who doesn't fit into their little PC box is doing a great job at defining what Woke is. They don't need any help from the "right", or the "middle" defining woke, and even what used to be the left is starting to be tired of their act.
Ok. I am willing to admit that my reference to this being an unforced error may well be wrong if others don't see the same thing. As I said on multiple occasions I never thought this was some sort of message from the team. But that does not change the fact that as soon as I saw the visual it was clear to me what the post was above referencing and I am not someone who looks for things to take offence . But you reference to a rainbow pin was completely uncalled for. If you don't like my posts put me on ignore.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It kind of looks like the stripes of the battle flag, but I think the original tweet was just in jest...a joke.

Either way, off season stuff.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ok. I am willing to admit that my reference to this being an unforced error may well be wrong if others don't see the same thing. As I said on multiple occasions I never thought this was some sort of message from the team. But that does not change the fact that as soon as I saw the visual it was clear to me what the post was above referencing and I am not someone who looks for things to take offence . But you reference to a rainbow pin was completely uncalled for. If you don't like my posts put me on ignore.

How was it uncalled for? Two or three weeks ago we were civilly discussing players being forced (by social pressure) to wear rainbow jerseys and you were fine with it then. Today I’m merely referencing that conversation which I assumed you’d pick up on as your one if the more intelligent posters on this board, but you’re taking offence at it now.

If you want to take my post as an insult or affront then you’re misinterpreting my intent. Cheers.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I consider myself quite well-versed in many aspects of history with an interest in the WW2 era and it took me a bit to realize what the tweet was referring to. If there was no commentary at all I likely never would have figured the same. Feels like a reach to me as well
Same. As someone who’s also well versed in WW2 and Nazi history, including having lost family members in concentration camps and having my mother and her family greatly affected by the PTSD and generational trauma caused by Nazi Germany, I did not see the reference or put 2 and 2 together to get 5. I guess I don’t also really consider a persons hair/eye color as one of my first thoughts when watching a hockey press conference lol. Massive reach.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Oh my… that’s b a d
I concur. Making that sort of explicit insinuation about ‘blond haired blue eyed people’ innocently going about their employer’s business is some shameful shit. Made even worse when the person in the photo is a recognizable individual. If I had Perry’s millions I’d consider doing something about it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I concur. Making that sort of explicit insinuation about ‘blond haired blue eyed people’ innocently going about their employer’s business is some shameful shit. Made even worse when the person in the photo is a recognizable individual. If I had Perry’s millions I’d consider doing something about it.
Yep. I got no issue with the CBH, the banner is clearly a team banner on a podium, but some nut ass takes a selective photo and makes that connection of Perry to that other “organization” with that type of description of hair and eye colour? WTF is wrong with people nowadays

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Fa Afo, Evander Kane look-alike playing beer league hockey in Edmonton.
1688859702595.png

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How was it uncalled for? Two or three weeks ago we were civilly discussing players being forced (by social pressure) to wear rainbow jerseys and you were fine with it then. Today I’m merely referencing that conversation which I assumed you’d pick up on as your one if the more intelligent posters on this board, but you’re taking offence at it now.

If you want to take my post as an insult or affront then you’re misinterpreting my intent. Cheers.
As I said, I actually never even read to caption before the symbolism of the image dawned on me. And I am fully willing to admit that based on what has been posted in this thread that my interpretation of the post was an over reaction and for this I am happy to apologize. I do think that as a team Chicago has been a disaster in many ways but in this case my own sensitivity is perhaps on display. I have little use for the ranker that is basically all of what we see from both extremes of the political spectrum. My concern is that the polarization we are seeing has real consequences. That was driven home just recently when a colleague was stabbed along with two of her students simply for being participants in a discussion of what would be viewed as "woke" nonsense. The term "woke" itself has now become a rallying cry for divisiveness. It's original meaning has been distorted by both sides to demonize people.

That said, even in this post though you are mischaracterizing my position. I never said that I was fine with anyone being forced through social pressures to wear a rainbow jersey or any other symbol. What I said is that if people are afraid to address these issues, then the extremes on both ends of the spectrum win. If you want evidence of this note how the NHL decision is being championed in this case by right-wing groups that are trying to use LGBQT+ rights as a wedge issue. It's the unwillingness to recognize that there are nuances to any difficult social interaction that leads to things like violence from both sides.

As an aside, according to Larry Brooks in the NY Post, not exactly the most left-wing publication, the NHL reached its decision without any consultation with the NHLPA, which from the reaction of the players we saw was what I had thought. I don't say this to re-open the discussion since I suspect our positions won't change, but rather because I had explicitly asked for evidence that this was triggered by the NHLPA or that they had approved. If you or anyone else has info that contradicts this I would certainly be open to look at it. I have tried to find it myself but could not.

We’re told that the decision rendered by the Board of Governors on Gary Bettman’s recommendation was reached without input from or consultation with the NHLPA.

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yep. I got no issue with the CBH, the banner is clearly a team banner on a podium, but some nut ass takes a selective photo and makes that connection of Perry to that other “organization” with that type of description of hair and eye colour? WTF is wrong with people nowadays
“Likes” on social media are the ultimate currency for narcissists

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Brutal return on Debrincat. Ottawa basically got a late first, Kubalik and a couple of nothing late picks.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad