Around the League 2020/2021 Thread | Stanley Cup Final Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Weird timing on that Simmonds extension in Toronto...he has to know he's not getting protected in the expansion draft. Why not just wait a few weeks?
Why would Seattle take him at his age? He’s not worth much of anything in trade. 2 year deal also makes it unlikely for anyone to take him even if he can be buried in the A with no cap consequences. Toronto has the cash to not even think about it. But it uses up a contract slot. Spezza also signed.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Weird timing on that Simmonds extension in Toronto...he has to know he's not getting protected in the expansion draft. Why not just wait a few weeks?
I find it is weird to sign it now too, including Spezza signing; maybe it is a sight that their GM is double down his own vision.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Why would Seattle take him at his age? He’s not worth much of anything in trade. 2 year deal also makes it unlikely for anyone to take him even if he can be buried in the A with no cap consequences. Toronto has the cash to not even think about it. But it uses up a contract slot. Spezza also signed.

Why would Seattle want a cheap veteran everyone agrees is a top culture carrier and leader? On an expansion team? Kinda feel like that question answers itself. Very much in the same vein as Thorburn and Bellemare being picked by Vegas.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Term and cap hit go hand in hand. Not getting a low cap hit for that short a term. Plus that cap hit comes with a full nmc.

that’s going to be the structure of Bo’s next deal on an 8 year term.

Agreed.

I’m not a huge RNH fan but this is a good move for the Oilers over the next handful of years which is what they are about right now.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Tampa could easily be working on their 4th Cup with this core if things had broken better for them and they’d made a couple of minor adjustments. It’s truly remarkable what Tampa’s management, including Yzerman, have built in the cap era.
There will be some cap casualties this off season but if they play it smart they’ll get back some young cheap players and draft picks and keep the window open for a long time. Just a first class management group that should be a model for every organization.

It’s incredible the consistency that they’ve had with their Stamkos-Hedman-Kucherov-Vasilevsky core.

They’ve been to the conference finals in five of the last seven Stanley Cup Playoffs. They’ve made the finals three times. They’ve only missed the playoffs once during that time.

One may look back on this era in years to come and think it is disappointing that Tampa only won one Stanley Cup. This team may need to keep on winning Cups to properly secure their place in history.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why would Seattle want a cheap veteran everyone agrees is a top culture carrier and leader? On an expansion team? Kinda feel like that question answers itself. Very much in the same vein as Thorburn and Bellemare being picked by Vegas.
Who was available from those teams Win and Phi at the time? Part of taking Thorburn was LV moving up in the draft as well.

I think there might be some decent options from Toronto to select over an aging veteran such as Simmonds. Who knows what went into the contract negotiations. Maybe Simmonds asked Dubas who Seattle has contacted him about or whether Dubas has reached out to Francis.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
rnh contract seems like the future. get strong supporting cast guys under $6m by any means possible.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Term and cap hit go hand in hand. Not getting a low cap hit for that short a term. Plus that cap hit comes with a full nmc.

Agree. Nugent-Hopkins is a competent 2C who is playing on the wing because the Oilers have two of the very best centres in the league. If one of McDavid or Draisaitl goes down with injury they have a serviceable replacement on hand. He wanted stability and the Oilers accommodated in exchange for a lower AAV.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Calling a below average 2C whose number's are inflated playing with McDavid and Draisaitl a "strong supporting cast guy" is questionable, IMO.
He is an important player for Edmonton though. A lot of players exercise their no trade clause not to go there and they generally need to pay a big premium to attract FA’s. Keeping decent players like RNH who actually want to play there at a fair cap hit should always be a priority.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Calling a below average 2C whose number's are inflated playing with McDavid and Draisaitl a "strong supporting cast guy" is questionable, IMO.

well he ain't chopped liver either. he can't be replaced on the open market at that price, and the oilers have few spare assets to mortgage.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
8 year contracts should be reserved for elite players. Not 29 year olds who are easily replaceable.

tell me how the oilers easily replace rnh at that salary? and while we are at it, what happens if you are wrong and the team goes backwards as a result? their number 1 priority is ensuring they field a strong enough team to keep him from requesting a trade. rnh is a known quantity.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
who do you have in mind that the oilers can sign or trade for this summer?

Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, Jason Zucker, Viktor Arvidsson, Reilly Smith, Joonas Donskoi, JT Compher, Alex Kerfoot.

All guys on capped out teams that could easily be available without much going the other way if you're willing to take the full cap hit. Hell, even the 3 years Tyler Johnson has left represents better value than this RNH deal, and you're probably getting a decent sweetener with that.

Plus there are lots of interesting names on the FA market likely looking to sign show-me type contracts: Joel Armia, Tomas Tatar, Jaden Schwartz, Erik Haula, etc.

And that's not even getting into guys on teams that might be getting squeezed due to the expansion draft (Greenway, Appleton, Dickinson, etc).

If you're a team with cap space and expansion protection slots this off-season, it's a buyer's market for secondary offensive pieces.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Wouldn’t Danault have been a much better fit for the Oil?

Danault is going to be one of the most sought-after UFAs this summer (assuming Montreal doesn't re-sign him, which is what I have my money on). For Edmonton to land him they'd have to dramatically overpay all otehr bidders. They're smart to stay out of that, at least.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Danault is going to be one of the most sought-after UFAs this summer (assuming Montreal doesn't re-sign him, which is what I have my money on). For Edmonton to land him they'd have to dramatically overpay all otehr bidders. They're smart to stay out of that, at least.
Just thinking 5 mil x seven years for Danault is way better than keeping RNH. Danault is what the Oilers need. RNH is status quo.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, Jason Zucker, Viktor Arvidsson, Reilly Smith, Joonas Donskoi, JT Compher, Alex Kerfoot.

you have to field a team for 60 minutes a night. the only name on that list that even half way makes sense is zucker and he is older, makes more and scores less and played under 16 minutes a game last season and the pens are not giving him away. this is real life, not a video game. rnh plays nearly 21 minutes a game. there is no depth behind him. if you give away an asset to replace him with a donskoi (14 minutes) or (14:30) kerfoot and let him walk, i think mcdavid requests a trade the next day.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wouldn’t Danault have been a much better fit for the Oil?

he'd be a decent replacement defensively, but i don't know if he could handle all the roles and minutes and they'd have to pay him more than rnh and he will likely get 5 or 6 years.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
you have to field a team for 60 minutes a night. the only name on that list that even half way makes sense is zucker and he is older, makes more and scores less and played under 16 minutes a game last season and the pens are not giving him away. this is real life, not a video game. rnh plays nearly 21 minutes a game. there is no depth behind him. if you give away an asset to replace him with a donskoi (14 minutes) or (14:30) kerfoot and let him walk, i think mcdavid requests a trade the next day.

Players that played lesser minutes on better teams will play more minutes on worse teams.

That's like calling Tyler Myers a #1 defenseman because he's the Canucks even strength ice-time leader.

Replacing RNH with a cheaper player allows you to build depth behind him.

Zucker, I guarantee you, is the odd man out on a cap-strapped Penguins team this summer. Burke does not like small forwards.

Out of curiosity, did you think JT Miller was a downgrade on Sam Gagner when the Canucks got him since Gagner played 18 minutes a night for the Canucks but Miller played 14 minutes a night for the Lightning?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad