Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Pens definitely playing for now. At least for me, I feel like there's a tier drop around 12/13 so maybe Pittsburgh feels similar where they wouldn't be getting a top line caliber guy at #15. Toronto signed Alexander Barabanov so he'll replace Kapanen on an ELC. Could see Toronto also moving Andreas Johnsson to free up cap space for a free agent RD. I could see Pittsburgh dealing a goalie to Minnesota since Bill Guerin would be familiar with Murray/Jarry from his time in Pittsburgh.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Kapanen
Simon/ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Ruhwedel/Riikola

Murray-Jarry-DeSmith

----------

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Barabanov
Clifford?-(Spezza/Gauthier/tbd)-Engvall

Rielly-(tbd)
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Lehtonen
Sandin

Andersen-Campbell

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Man, that looks real bad for the Penguins

It should, you gave up a 1st round pick and top 6 forward prospect for a 2/3 line forward basically.
They gain the 1st they lost back and there should be a couple good D at 15 where they pick.

Rutherford still trying to turn back time. Trading the future for sand in an hourglass. Metro is the toughest div in the NHL and the Pens are on the downside. He won't face the music, and that has continued to hurt them

Murray, I think, will be the next to get moved. Hopefully he doesn't screw that up.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What the Pens need is to dump JJ, but I'm not sure there's a GM dumb enough to take him other than their own.

Man, and I thought the hate for Johnson around here was bad [ and this was before he really started to suck]. The Pens fans really...and I mean reeeeally hate him, so much so that they got him trending on Twitter hoping he was traded to the Leafs. :laugh:

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Is it normal for trades to happen between eliminated teams while the playoffs are ongoing or is this just a product of COVID?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You can argue about getting a better established player for the 15th pick, but there's no reason for the Pens to hold onto it. Both Malkin(34) and Letang(33) are UFA's in 2022. Crosby will be 35 by then, and either not playing due to some pre-2013 contract injury, or logically well on the downside. Rust is 28, and will also be a UFA in 2 years.

Is it going to work? Probably not. At times like this, the question pops up, what is an organization? Do you owe it to the franchise to set it up as best as can be for the future from where you are now, or do you owe current veteran players the best possible chance to succeed today? Yes, Rutherford is a crazy. He's built the Canes and Pens in very similar fashions. Doesn't really care about names on defense, just wants a hot goalie, and throw the most resources toward the forward group.

Whether it's Kapanen or someone else, I think this is the only move for the Penguins to do. Barring societal collapse, there's plenty of time to suck and rebuild. You only get Crosby and Malkin once. Alright, they also had Lemieux and Jagr, but the point stands.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
For Toronto, I wonder what other moves they are going to make. Is this just the first step to clear as much cap space as they can? If we see moves to trade Kerfoot and Johnsson then the leafs might be making a run at Pietrangelo.

If so, that would make them really top heavy. 5 players for about $50 million. Go big or go home.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Pittsburgh is going to go from relevant to irrelevant in a hurry due to age. You can't recreate what they had with Crosby, Malkin etc. They are next to the bottom of the NHL in prospect ratings as well.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Penguins have had one 1st round selection since 2015, and they don’t have any 1sts this year and next year.

Rutherford is going to set up his successor with a very barren cupboard.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
You can argue about getting a better established player for the 15th pick, but there's no reason for the Pens to hold onto it. Both Malkin(34) and Letang(33) are UFA's in 2022. Crosby will be 35 by then, and either not playing due to some pre-2013 contract injury, or logically well on the downside. Rust is 28, and will also be a UFA in 2 years.

Is it going to work? Probably not. At times like this, the question pops up, what is an organization? Do you owe it to the franchise to set it up as best as can be for the future from where you are now, or do you owe current veteran players the best possible chance to succeed today? Yes, Rutherford is a crazy. He's built the Canes and Pens in very similar fashions. Doesn't really care about names on defense, just wants a hot goalie, and throw the most resources toward the forward group.

Whether it's Kapanen or someone else, I think this is the only move for the Penguins to do. Barring societal collapse, there's plenty of time to suck and rebuild. You only get Crosby and Malkin once. Alright, they also had Lemieux and Jagr, but the point stands.
Nice to see someone on here that gets it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is it normal for trades to happen between eliminated teams while the playoffs are ongoing or is this just a product of COVID?

Teams were always permitted to do business (trades/signings) during the playoffs, but typically there wasn't much urgency to do so until it gets closer to the draft. As I understand it, Covid actually limited things this time as only eliminated teams were allowed to make trades.

Typically trades will revolve around unsigned prospects whose rights would expire on June 1st. Occasionally there'd be a more familiar NHL name.

Quick scan since 2000:

May 1, 2000: Kings acquired Steve Passmore from Chicago for a 4th round pick (possibly expansion draft related)

May 23, 2000: Ducks traded unsigned prospect Trent Hunter to the Islanders for a 4th round pick (Anaheim would have lost his rights on June 1)

May 31, 2001: Vancouver acquired rights to (unsigned?) goalie prospect Alex Auld from Florida for 2nd and 3rd round picks (Panthers had a young Roberto Luongo fall into their laps the previous offseason).

June 12, 2002: Philadelphia traded Brian Boucher and a 3rd rounder to Phoenix for Michal Handzus and Robert Esche (the Stanley Cup Final concluded the next day)

May 28, 2003: Kings acquired Roman Cechmanek from Philadelphia for a future 2nd round pick.

May 15, 2007: Boston acquired unsigned draft choice Adam McQuaid from Columbus for a 5th round pick (which eventually became Jamie Benn)

June 4, 2008: Kings traded T.J. Fast to the Blues for a future 5th round pick.

May 13, 2010: Coyotes traded unsigned Jared Staal to the Hurricanes for a 5th round pick (I don't think Phoenix was intending to sign him). Couple more unsigned guys in Jyri Niemi and Mattias Modig were traded before the June 1 deadline that year.

May 8, 2011: Coyotes traded prospect forward Oscar Lindberg to the Rangers for prospect forward Ethan Werek. Werek was a mid-2nd rounder in 2009, but I don't think the Rangers were going to offer him a deal.

June 4, 2012: Penguins acquired the rights to impending UFA Tomas Vokoun from Washington for a 7th round pick.

May 25, 2016: Vancouver acquired Erik Gudbranson from Florida for Jared McCann and a 2nd rounder

April 28, 2017: Chicago traded the rights to impending free agent goalie Scott Darling to Carolina for a 3rd round pick.

May 9, 2017: Kings traded the rights to impending free agent goalie Ben Bishop to Dallas for a 4th round pick. Kings also acquired Boko Imama on the eve of the signing deadline that year.

May 3, 2018: Carolina traded Marcus Kruger to Arizona for Jordan Martinook.

April 30, 2019: Carolina traded unsigned prospect Adam Fox to the Rangers for a pair of 2nd round picks (Fox could have played out his senior year and signed with the Rangers in 2020.)

Reactions: mbar

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The Penguins have had one 1st round selection since 2015, and they don’t have any 1sts this year and next year.

Rutherford is going to set up his successor with a very barren cupboard.
I don’t think he cares. Live for the moment. Keep trying with Sid and Malkin.

Can’t see Sid ever being traded. Slightly on Malkin.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'd imagine the Pens can rebuild in a hurry once they decide it's over. Even if they're old, their core will fetch a mighty fine return.

I think they're doing the right thing in going for it now but I question if this is the deal they're looking for.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I believe the Stanley Cup Finals was still ongoing when the Kings acquired Ziggy Palffy from the Islanders in '99.

Looks like the original Palffy deal got rejected by the league as the Stars/Sabres were still playing but the one that was approved got the green light the day after?

June 17th: https://nypost.com/1999/06/17/rangers-back-in-palffy-mix-commish-vetoes-isles-kings-deal/

In addition, the league yesterday did not approve an informally-submitted deal that would have sent Palffy, Brian Smolinski, Mike Watt and minor league goaltender Marcel Cousineau to the Kings for B-level prospects Mathieu Biron, Scott Barney and Josh Green, minor league forward Jason Podollan, and the eighth overall pick in the June 26 Entry Draft.

June 20th: STANLEY CUP FINALS; Palffy Goes To Kings; Isles Get Prospects

The Islanders traded Zigmund Palffy, their high-scoring forward, to Los Angeles yesterday in a deal that included the Kings' highly touted rookie Olli Jokinen, a National Hockey League executive close to the negotiations said.

The Islanders also sent center Bryan Smolinski, the minor league goalie Marcel Cousineau and a fourth-round draft pick to the Kings and received two other prospects and a 1999 first-round draft choice.
The trade was approved by the league last night and beat the 5 P.M. trade freeze, which runs through Friday's expansion draft.

Negotiations between the Islanders and the Kings began more than a week ago, but it was not until yesterday, when Dave Taylor, the Kings' general manager, agreed to part with Jokinen that a deal was reached. Jokinen, a center, had 9 goals and 12 assists in 66 games last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad