Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The lesson is simple. If your franchise player won’t extend before entering the final year of the deal you trade him. Even if it is for futures and you have some loss of prestige you trade him. Sure Stamkos stuck around but I’m guessing there is more to that story than we know. A true franchise player will sign for a slightly below market number at max years. If he says no where do you go from there?
Catching up here, so apologies if someone has already posted this but..

Does this apply to Taylor Hall? If he isn't extended before the start of the 2019-2020 season what do you do?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's like people are blatantly ignoring the praises Hall has sung for the organization.

If you listened to the Devils podcast, he went into how much it meant to him that Harris, Blitzer, Shero and Hynes all flew out to Vegas for the awards to show him and Boyle support. Everyone in the organization is well aware of how important he is to the franchise. He will be given whatever he wants, and rightfully so.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Catching up here, so apologies if someone has already posted this but..

Does this apply to Taylor Hall? If he isn't extended before the start of the 2019-2020 season what do you do?

I was commenting on the way Tavares actually asked the NYI not to trade him at the deadline. But in my view and it’s only my opinion the application is universal. If Hall refused to extend next offseason then I’d trade him. I don’t expect there to be any problems with extending him. I expect Shero to make a good offer and for Hall to say yes. Maybe Hall asks for 12 and Shero has to ask him nicely to accept something close to 10 because it is an 8 year deal but beyond that I don’t expect any delay.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's like people are blatantly ignoring the praises Hall has sung for the organization.

If you listened to the Devils podcast, he went into how much it meant to him that Harris, Blitzer, Shero and Hynes all flew out to Vegas for the awards to show him and Boyle support. Everyone in the organization is well aware of how important he is to the franchise. He will be given whatever he wants, and rightfully so.

As his extension unfolds I’d expect the team to get better and for his cap hit to matter in about three years. I’d like to think he will agree to take something between 10 and 11 and hopefully closer to 10 to allow for more flexibility down the line. He could get 12 next year as a UFA if the cap rises again.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was commenting on the way Tavares actually asked the NYI not to trade him at the deadline. But in my view and it’s only my opinion the application is universal. If Hall refused to extend next offseason then I’d trade him. I don’t expect there to be any problems with extending him. I expect Shero to make a good offer and for Hall to say yes. Maybe Hall asks for 12 and Shero has to ask him nicely to accept something close to 10 because it is an 8 year deal but beyond that I don’t expect any delay.
I hadn't heard this till a Isles fan buddy on mine said it last night.

That is effed up.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

Harris just needed a reason to go to Vegas

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
After reading the PT article all I could think is that it was a real bad idea by pajama boy to use the same PR people as Eugene Melynik.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

All parties are on the same page

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
No amount of $ could of beaten this. Happy for Pat.
Dh2VhxtU0AAa43I.jpg:large

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Matt Cullen re-signed with the Pens back on July 1st? Well that’s certainly shocking. That’s how out to lunch I’ve been on some of the lesser free agents over the past couple of weeks. I thought he announced his retirement right after the Wild were eliminated? I could have swore he did.

So, I’m assuming Matt Cullen is a trivia answer right now for the oldest current player in the league? Is that correct? It’s gotta be. At least out of guys who are currently signed to play next year, and not guys who haven’t played in two years and just have yet to announce their retirement officially.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Maroons rationals really almost brings a tear to my eye. I can't imagine not seeing my kids every day let alone seeing them every few months. Good for him.

Reactions: Bleedred

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
A guide to bargain hunting in what's left of the 2018 NHL...

Good article from the Athletic that demonstrates how limited this FA pool really was after the big names signed.

From what's left, there isn't much to get excited about and most likely we'll PTO one or two of these guys at best. I would be all about a Dan Hamhuis short term deal but would not be opposed at all to riding Butcher and Mueller into the start of the season.

Count me in for loving the idea of a Lee Stempniak reunion :laugh: but he's probably on his last legs at this point.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

I'm not ignoring that. I too think he will resign.

But if thats all true, then there is no reason that he won't do it on or around July 1, 2019. If he does not, then you have to move him. If he's thrilled with the organization, then he'll sign. If he's not, then he won't, and no amount of praises sung on podcasts can make up for the lack of a signature at that point. It's black and white as of this coming July 1.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Never forget that the NHL decided to penalize the Kovalchuk contract (which had 3 years of $1 million salary, not directly at the end) whereas Hossa's contract has 4 years of $1 million, all directly at the end

We would have picked around 11th in 2014. We could have had one of Larkin, Fabbri, Fiala, Schmaltz, Tuch, Sanheim, or Vrana

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Never forget that the NHL decided to penalize the Kovalchuk contract (which had 3 years of $1 million salary, not directly at the end) whereas Hossa's contract has 4 years of $1 million, all directly at the end

We would have picked around 11th in 2014. We could have had one of Larkin, Fabbri, Fiala, Schmaltz, Tuch, Sanheim, or Vrana

Still hate this, especially considering his mysterious skin condition happened to affect him when his salary dropped to $1,000,000 per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad