Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Right? Speers hold very little value as far as being a trade chip.

I mean, there might be some GMs out there that really like Speers, and it could turn out if he’s traded he brings back more than a lot of us expect. Or maybe Shero thinks he still has a bright NHL future. Who knows. But whenever you read legit trade rumors, prospects of Speers standing are always referred to in generic terms - “mid level prospect with upside” — and never by name.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Remember Dallas Dave the dude who literally started the atlanta to wpg rumor at the deadline the season prior to the move. Obviously it came true not long after, got a ton of praise for it then told everyone he was full of shit from the start.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maroon was here briefly, not like Parise. Parise also allegedly told everyone he was staying before pulling the rug out from underneath the club.

Yeah Parise was more comparable to Tavares leaving the Isles than Maroon leaving us as a rental. They were both the drafted face of the franchises at that point and had given more than lip service to wanting to stay, obviously JT is a better player but still Parise had just captained a SCF team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah Parise was more comparable to Tavares leaving the Isles than Maroon leaving us as a rental. They were both the drafted face of the franchises at that point and had given more than lip service to wanting to stay, obviously JT is a better player but still Parise had just captained a SCF team.

The lesson is simple. If your franchise player won’t extend before entering the final year of the deal you trade him. Even if it is for futures and you have some loss of prestige you trade him. Sure Stamkos stuck around but I’m guessing there is more to that story than we know. A true franchise player will sign for a slightly below market number at max years. If he says no where do you go from there?

Reactions: Devilsfan118

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The lesson is simple. If your franchise player won’t extend before entering the final year of the deal you trade him. Even if it is for futures and you have some loss of prestige you trade him. Sure Stamkos stuck around but I’m guessing there is more to that story than we know. A true franchise player will sign for a slightly below market number at max years. If he says no where do you go from there?

Well the problem is we really couldn't cash out on Parise cause we were still in win-now mode despite not making the playoffs the year before, plus he wouldn't have had optimum trade value coming off a major injury anyway. And with JT (or Stamkos for that matter) trading him would have cost the Isles or Bolts any chance of signing him with the extra contract year.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I like Pacioretty but he is a left shooting left wing that turns 30 in a few months and needs a new contract

not exactly ideal trade material

And Tavares will turn 30 soon.

Hall will turn 30 soon.

Not every player we trade for has to finish their career with us. He could get be traded 2/3 years from now for picks we could need at the time.

Trading for a player needing a new contract is easy bait for Shero

My3Sons

Sponsor
Well the problem is we really couldn't cash out on Parise cause we were still in win-now mode despite not making the playoffs the year before, plus he wouldn't have had optimum trade value coming off a major injury anyway. And with JT (or Stamkos for that matter) trading him would have cost the Isles any chance of signing him with the extra contract year.

You can’t let your franchise player hold the franchise hostage. The NYI allowed JT to do that to them. He asked not to be traded and then didn’t sign? When he asks not to be traded you offer the 11 mil and when he doesn’t sign you politely wish him well and trade him. Then you realize you can build around Barzal and you don’t have two picks in the first round you have three and probably two next year and maybe an extra good prospect for your pool. If Hall is the leader we think he is and if the owners and Shero live up to their word there will be no drama next offseason. Like Kucherov, Hall will sign with little fanfare. Maybe he asks for 11 and Shero tells him you are worth every penny of that and more but can you live with 10.5 to save a little cash for someone else and Hall mulls it over for a week before saying ok. Press release is written and we all rejoice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well for every guy that walks out the door some DO stay at the last minute...Stamkos being one, Elias being another despite all but being ignored by Lou in FA that year till he took the initiative and called Lou.

But yes the Isles in a hopeless season should absolutely have given JT an ultimatium and traded him if he didn't sign, that I agree with. Maybe they figured a change in management (re: Snow/Weight to Lou/Trotz) would make a difference though, most of us were worried it would.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Well for every guy that walks out the door some DO stay at the last minute...Stamkos being one, Elias being another despite all but being ignored by Lou in FA that year till he took the initiative and called Lou.

The way ELIAS tells the story Lou never made an offer until ELIAS asked him to. Different circumstances for him. I realize Stamkos stuck around but he’s the exception not the rule. As always this is just my opinion not a fact and I can understand the other side. I just don’t want a repeat of the parade of UFAs that walked out of NJ over the years.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
The way ELIAS tells the story Lou never made an offer until ELIAS asked him to. Different circumstances for him. I realize Stamkos stuck around but he’s the exception not the rule. As always this is just my opinion not a fact and I can understand the other side. I just don’t want a repeat of the parade of UFAs that walked out of NJ over the years.

Yeah I think Lou said he didn't think he could afford to bring Patty back and was ready to let him go. Glad that never happened. Patty is a saint

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And Tavares will turn 30 soon.

Hall will turn 30 soon.

Not every player we trade for has to finish their career with us. He could get be traded 2/3 years from now for picks we could need at the time.

Trading for a player needing a new contract is easy bait for Shero

Tavares is 27. Hall is 26. They are not "turning 30 soon".

They are also elite players. Pacioretty is not an elite player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad