Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
5 years 35 million for jvr man that stings but that’s a hefty cap hit. Wonder what the devils were offering.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
When does couturier need a new contract? Also they need to sign Patrick, provorov .... I like what Shero is doing. Cap space is always the best asset a team can have

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good to stay away from JVR for that. Very good. I hope Shero didn't offer anything like that.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Simmonds is a UFA next season. They'll have ~$24M tied up in Giroux, Voracek and JVR beyond next season, adding in what would assuredly be around $7M for Simmonds as well would be difficult. They'll probably try to deal him.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
When does couturier need a new contract? Also they need to sign Patrick, provorov .... I like what Shero is doing. Cap space is always the best asset a team can have

I don't think I've ever seen a fan base more obsessed with cap space than Devils fans.

Anyone with a brain takes JVR on that contract. He immediately makes us better and we could certainly afford it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen a fan base more obsessed with cap space than Devils fans.

Anyone with a brain takes JVR on that contract. He immediately makes us better and we could certainly afford it.

JvR would not have the talent around him here he had in Toronto. People always get so upset when the Devils don't go mid to late 90's, early 00' rags and sign every aging, overpriced free agent. How many Cup winning teams are built on FA signings?

We really need to address the defense. Forwards should only be considered in they are young and cheap, or a superstar like JT. JvR is the exact kind of player that a team in our position should be avoiding. He might make us slightly better right now, but does not help us get past the first round and hampers the ability to address the massive, glaring, crippling defense issue in the long term.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The term isn't as bad as what I thought he'd get, and 7 million is fair after the Evander Kane extension. Still not going to lose sleep over not signing him though.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
JvR would not have the talent around him here he had in Toronto. People always get so upset when the Devils don't go mid to late 90's, early 00' rags and sign every aging, overpriced free agent. How many Cup winning teams are built on FA signings?

We really need to address the defense. Forwards should only be considered in they are young and cheap, or a superstar like JT. JvR is the exact kind of player that a team in our position should be avoiding. He might make us slightly better right now, but does not help us get past the first round and hampers the ability to address the massive, glaring, crippling defense issue in the long term.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Build through the draft, don't get bogged down by bad contracts, etc. Defense is a definite need.

But a 5 year contract at 7M per doesn't cripple this team. In fact, it helps protect some of the younger guys from getting minutes they're not ready for (see: Bratt last season). There's no easy way to address the D at this point via free agency so you might as well add some talent up front to support Hall if you can.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The term isn't as bad as what I thought he'd get, and 7 million is fair after the Evander Kane extension. Still not going to lose sleep over not signing him though.

Exactly...sort of makes the Kane deal look worse IMO.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Site went out again.

I figured maybe Tavares signed or something.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Good to stay away from JVR for that. Very good. I hope Shero didn't offer anything like that.

why bother.

its like a rick nash signing….. someone thats been around the block, looks good for now, that wont help you down the road, but some big ass f***ing name that will do create a stagnant roster of such and such…

aka not needed, no thank you

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Exactly...sort of makes the Kane deal look worse IMO.
It's Doug Wilson. He overpays for everybody in the last year. In both dollars and term.

He'd probably give Tavares $14+ million with how much he's overpaid everybody else over the last year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Generally speaking, I agree with you. Build through the draft, don't get bogged down by bad contracts, etc. Defense is a definite need.

But a 5 year contract at 7M per doesn't cripple this team. In fact, it helps protect some of the younger guys from getting minutes they're not ready for (see: Bratt last season). There's no easy way to address the D at this point via free agency so you might as well add some talent up front to support Hall if you can.

It definitely doesn't cripple the team at all. It just adds what I believe is a possible roadblock for a player that just isn't worth it IMO. I feel like JvR is being very overrated here because we didn't get him and he went to a divisional opponent.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Site went out again.

I figured maybe Tavares signed or something.

I haven't had an issue yet but apparently others have. It wouldn't shock me if the next twenty minutes drove us underground though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad