Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The JvR deal isn't that terrible.

2 years of "Wow finally someone to finish Giroux and Vorachek's passes"
1 year of "Well maybe he can rebound"
then only 2 years of "Wow this guy is trash.. but its better than when we were stuck with Andrew MacDonald"

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Lol jvr is the same player as simmonds

Simmonds is going to be traded so it’s really a wash lol

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I haven't heard much about Riley Nash, anyone have interest in him? We kind of need another skilled center. Or are we hoping someone can fill that role internally?

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If we signed JVR to that deal, we’d still be hearing how it’d be terrible for us from the same source, I’m sure. It’s not that great a move, especially if they trade Simmonds.

I already foresee the “at least we re-signed Lack” posts later today if we don’t bring anyone in. :laugh:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Thank God JVR goes to another team, hope Maroon goes too. Without getting a defender(s) and with Cory uncertain to start the season this team won't make the playoffs.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Simmonds is actually physical and plays more like he is JVRs size. Not really a wash.
It's a wash in terms of production, I would rather have Simmonds instead of that JVR contract granted Simmonds might get the same thing next summer but Philly just tried to buy two years of production essentially.

This is also speculation that simmonds is the odd man out, even if he is not, JVR doesn't boost them as much as people think.

Last edited:

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Really so that 1 million extra is keeping a 25-30 goal scorer off your team? That’s your break point 1 million? lol

You don’t like the deal you don’t like it. Don’t say you don’t like it cause it’s 1 million more then you would’ve done.
Grabner scored 27

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I've been hearing for about 6 years now, maybe even 7 or 8 (actually, probably since Tavares was drafted) how the Isles are gonna be a great team soon and that their time is coming, and it's never happened.

The closest they've gotten in that time is winning their first playoff series in 23 years and making the playoffs 3 times in a 4 year span.

And yeah, the Isles still have no goalie. That's the big elephant in the room there. Thomas Greiss is currently #1 on their goalie depth chart.
Goaltending is the most random position in the whole league, you know that Bleed. There are like 5 goalies in the entire league you can really count on year in and year out. Everyone else is a crapshoot. They could sign Lehner and him playing for an actual NHL coach and staff could see him being excelent next year. Same could happen with Greiss improving. This theory doesn't apply to Scott Darling, he's the one goalie you know is going to suck.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Someone on the IslanderMania board had the greatest idea ever: the game Judas returns to town have a ceremony to retire Butch Goring's #91. That would be the greatest troll job ever, and Butch absolutely deserves it.

Reactions: nugg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thank God JVR goes to another team, hope Maroon goes too. Without getting a defender(s) and with Cory uncertain to start the season this team won't make the playoffs.
Cory was just as bad last year as the year before, didn’t even start half our total games and we still made the playoffs....

Not to mention that Kinkaid (though in a much smaller role in 16-17) has outplayed him the last two years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone on the IslanderMania board had the greatest idea ever: the game Judas returns to town have a ceremony to retire Butch Goring's #91. That would be the greatest troll job ever, and Butch absolutely deserves it.
Nice! I still think there’s a chance he re-signs though, and I’ve been a bit over 50% that he was leaving for months now.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Cory was just as bad last year as the year before, didn’t even start half our total games and we still made the playoffs....

Not to mention that Kinkaid (though in a much smaller role in 16-17) has outplayed him the last two years.

I'm assuming that he was having only an off year not that this will become standard from him. And I doubt Kinkaid can get us in again.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I mean I get the whole philosophy of what's an extra 500k-1 million per year, but at some point those extra 500k's add up, where exactly do you draw the line then if each increment is by itself not enough to move the needle? You could say there's not much of a difference between 5 million and 8 because it's just another 500k here, million there, etc.

And I'm not one that thinks 7 million is too much for JVR on a 5-year deal, not after Kane basically set that market. I think it might have been too much on a 6-year deal though.

They add up if your a cap strapped team. Not when you have 25 million in cap space

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
7 Million for JVR is alot of cash, especially on a 5 year deal. if that was the market, I can live without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad