GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dismissing their PP struggles in the playoffs as "PLAYOFFS THOUGH" is disingenuous and quite frankly stupid.

44 playoff games we've played since 2018, and what's the playoff PP%? 15.8%. The only team really comparable to us in that timeframe is Carolina, who's running at 14.9%, and they clearly do not have the talent we have at forward.

It's a screaming red flag right in people's faces that this core falls off badly in the playoffs.

I'm right with you when you say you could give 2 shits about how good the PP is in the regular season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure, so would I. But we're basically the 2010s Minnesota Wild here come post season, so a Stanley Cup or a 1st overall pick both seem equally distant to me.
Neither will be decided tonight

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Watching the colours change in my backyard is the highlight of fall fir me this will be a myriad of colours in a few weeks…….

View attachment 908617

Jealous.

Though I’ll be enjoying Nor’easters roll in from the ocean from my deck.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.jpeg
    IMG_4558.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: rumman and TMLAM34

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The powerplay has to work when it's called upon in critical moments.
The organizational change would imply the Leafs see a problem with it and need to make changes, which doesn't align with your business as usual messaging.
Yes, the PP does have to work when it's called upon in critical moments. And we're 7 months away from that, so what's your point?
I'm not sure how Berube using the same units suggests that the Leafs see a problem with it. Seems like its just you wishing there was a problem with it.
Hopefully we do make a change and use them for the full 2 minutes. That would at least be a positive change, unlike most of the recent organizational changes.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They have proven to be productive as a group many times over the last few years. I wanted them to do split units just to get more people involved but I don’t blame them trying this first.

The powerplay needed new tactics more than personnel.
they really should
If you warched leafs pp in playoff, you will see than #1 issue was not leafs with the puck but without...

When you in PP and always #2 on puck, i never see any PP having succes without puck. If every time you taking a shot = losing rhe puck... you will not score a lot of goal. If of 2min pp you got the puck 20 sec on your stick in the offensive end, good luck to score.

Everything started by winning battle

I don't know man. I partially agree. I think their puck movement was trash in the playoffs too. Opposition was rushing the Leafs and their puck movement was slow, braindead and couldn't get one timers off or put the puck on net to try and bang in a garbage goal if fancy crap isn't working. Opposition shoots the puck and looks for 2nd chances Leafs never do that and this has more to do with Marner and Rielly playing catch with the puck every freakin' time

It's been the 2nd best PP unit in the league over the past 3 years, behind only McDavid's.

Every playoff the Leafs PP fails and opposition feasts on their PP.

I think its meme time ;)

94btfe.jpg

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like its just you wishing there was a problem with it.
Lol wishing? The entire statistical picture (real stats, with real goals, not made up fairy expected nonsense stats) says there is most certainly a problem with the PP in the playoffs. Not sure where you stand on your "getting goalie'd" excuse since it appears to have ceased to exist in your mind since Dubas got fired.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah it's so much fun assembling young players and in hopes to be as good as.... the team we currently have.

2004-2016 was when we could all agree this team sucked -- inside and out. It was a peaceful time.

Leafs have played about 7 games more per season since then (the other was 6 (win against bolts)+5 (loss against panthers) = 11 games)

If you look at it that way the only progress has been that Leafs just play about 7 more games per season........

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Allison was as slow as molasses, but he eked out a pretty good career for someone with little to no speed...........

Jason Allison was a weird combination of being extremely productive while ineffective at the same time in Toronto. His slow, bad brand of hockey post lockout was definitely headed towards extinction, the team struggled and missed the playoffs. And yet the stats line was pretty damn solid. Oddball player, extremely intelligent.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs have played about 7 games more per season since then (the other was 6 (win against bolts)+5 (loss against panthers) = 11 games)

If you look at it that way the only progress has been that Leafs just play about 7 more games per season........

That's why we watch the games. But maybe we shouldn't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, the PP does have to work when it's called upon in critical moments. And we're 7 months away from that, so what's your point?
I'm not sure how Berube using the same units suggests that the Leafs see a problem with it. Seems like its just you wishing there was a problem with it.
Hopefully we do make a change and use them for the full 2 minutes. That would at least be a positive change, unlike most of the recent organizational changes.

My comment is not actually directed at the state of the powerplay at the moment because we haven't seen it in action in 2024-25... but pointing out your messaging about the powerplay not being a problem doesn't align at all with the effort they've put into improving it, changing staff and acquiring guys who could tag in.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That's why we watch the games. But maybe we shouldn't.

depends what is your expectation as a fan?

just watch games, hope they win, and if they don't c'est la vie because winning is not that important

or

there is a time and place to be patient (rebuilding), and then there is time and place to expect more (after rebuilding and high AAV players, many seasons now).

Every team in the league on avg goes through the cycle of success and then rebuild. Leafs never rebuilt under Teachers Pension Plan b/c those a-holes didn't want a rebuild; then Leafs rebuild it have had many seasons now that their drafted players will be pushing 30 in 2 to 3 years and they have gone to 2nd round only once.

What do you call this? progress? I think we have different ideas/definition of what progress means then....

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
they really should

I don't know man. I partially agree. I think their puck movement was trash in the playoffs too. Opposition was rushing the Leafs and their puck movement was slow, braindead and couldn't get one timers off or put the puck on net to try and bang in a garbage goal if fancy crap isn't working. Opposition shoots the puck and looks for 2nd chances Leafs never do that and this has more to do with Marner and Rielly playing catch with the puck every freakin' time

Every playoff the Leafs PP fails and opposition feasts on their PP.

I think its meme time ;)

94btfe.jpg

but when you having the puck like 20 second in the offensive end by pp... its pretty hard to take your rythm and get the execution coming with...

I dont know the number of time we saw a 3v1 battle, 2v1 , 3v2 battle in the corner when they was on PP... They should not look like the team shortended...

Reactions: PromisedLand

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
depends what is your expectation as a fan?

just watch games, hope they win, and if they don't c'est la vie because winning is not that important

or

there is a time and place to be patient (rebuilding), and then there is time and place to expect more (after rebuilding and high AAV players, many seasons now).

Every team in the league on avg goes through the cycle of success and then rebuild. Leafs never rebuilt under Teachers Pension Plan b/c those a-holes didn't want a rebuild; then Leafs rebuild it have had many seasons now that their drafted players will be pushing 30 in 2 to 3 years and they have gone to 2nd round only once.

What do you call this? progress? I think we have different ideas/definition of what progress means then....

I just watch and hope for the best. I'll do that tonight for pre-season, give my thoughts, and wait for the next game pre-season game.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
but when you having the puck like 20 second in the offensive end by pp... its pretty hard to take your rythm and get the execution coming with...

I dont know the number of time we saw a 3v1 battle, 2v1 , 3v2 battle in the corner when they was on PP... They should not look like the team shortended...

Agreed!

Leafs also couldn't gain decent entries on their PP in playoffs as they were turned away more often then not. Then once in the opposition zone they were outmanned by opposition PKers while actually being up a man advantage on PP.

While, opposition PP spent their sweet time in our zone when we were on PK.

It was frustrating to watch. Every freakin' season btw not just last season

I just watch and hope for the best. I'll do that tonight for pre-season, give my thoughts, and wait for the next game pre-season game.

well then you and I have very different expectation from the Leafs

Reactions: Cleetus

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lol wishing? The entire statistical picture (real stats, with real goals, not made up fairy expected nonsense stats) says there is most certainly a problem with the PP in the playoffs. Not sure where you stand on your "getting goalie'd" excuse since it appears to have ceased to exist in your mind since Dubas got fired.
Goalies have had a big impact. That never changed. That's a significant part of these playoff PP struggles we've had. They also have things to work on, and it seems like you agree. Gee, I wish there was a time where players could work on things in game-like situations. Like a preseason or something.
pointing out your messaging about the powerplay not being a problem doesn't align at all with the effort they've put into improving it, changing staff and acquiring guys who could tag in.
I actually just noted the great results the top unit has gotten over a significant sample in response to somebody calling it a "freakin' JOKE" and built wrong. Not sure what massive efforts you think have been taken. Seems like pretty normal stuff, and we're still using the same unit. That doesn't really align with your messaging, if anything.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The powerplay has to work when it's called upon in critical moments.

The organizational change would imply the Leafs see a problem with it and need to make changes, which doesn't align with your business as usual messaging.

They are running the same PP lineup again, right? Did I miss something? What change? Coaches? That's a yearly thing.

Pacioretty returning to form would be pretty huge. We'll see but I like the confidence.

If he can be a player, I am on board.

My only issue is if he is taking a kid's spot just because of the name.

If he is 80% of the player he was three years ago, that is a HUGE win.

Still need to sign him too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually just noted the great results the top unit has gotten over a significant sample in response to somebody calling it a "freakin' JOKE" and built wrong. Not sure what massive efforts you think have been taken. Seems like pretty normal stuff, and we're still using the same unit. That doesn't really align with your messaging, if anything.

The trade off to those great results is unreliable playoff contribution, which resulted in the coaching staff getting fired. So if things were good enough, they wouldn't have resulted in people losing their jobs... this is also game 1 of preseason on a split squad, so hardly validating your world view.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Dismissing their PP struggles in the playoffs as "PLAYOFFS THOUGH" is disingenuous and quite frankly stupid.

44 playoff games we've played since 2018, and what's the playoff PP%? 15.8%. The only team really comparable to us in that timeframe is Carolina, who's running at 14.9%, and they clearly do not have the talent we have at forward.

It's a screaming red flag right in people's faces that this core falls off badly in the playoffs.

I'm right with you when you say you could give 2 shits about how good the PP is in the regular season.
It’s also a screaming red flag that the coaching staff failed to adapt as the season wore on. Hence the Berube replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad