OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes, this existed here DT. The library as well was beautiful. I believe the DT library is seen behind the courthouse in the last picture.

The loss of the courthouse is often sited as one of the many many disastrous decisions to let classic buildings get demolished. Indeed at one time in this city there was a zeal to rip down any buildings that were older and had character and replace them with such modernity as Brutalist 50's -60-70's's architecture.

Its also disappointing that Parks Canada chose to get behind the Winnipeg Court House as a heritage preserve, a beautiful building, and had not done the same in the case of the Edmonton Court house.

I remember that courthouse.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Taking the convo here. One of the many reasons I dislike Rogers Place compared to Rexall place.

Quite simply one was designed for working folk to enjoy games in affordable seats and the new generation of Stadia/Arena are designed specifically with high price points in mind. No need or want for "Gallery" seating, get rid of that, maximize the amount of most expensive seats.

I smelled this miles away soon as the original Arena renderings were being discussed.

Ironically these facilities being built with public funding to ensure that less people can afford to go to events and unfortunately that less major events take place.

For me, and I gather for a lot of people sports and entertainment stopped being a thing when ticket prices flew over 100bucks. Now into thousands of bucks for some events.

"Funflation"

Pass, lots of other fun things to do that don't cost a new mortgage.

Biggest irony is that almost all the fantastic events, Stanley Cup wins etc took place at the old Arena, Rexall place, the one they're tearing down. An arena where it was costing 24bucks to see a SC game 7 win. Still have the ticket stubs. Got to see Kiss, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Police, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, etc at the old arena along with multiple SC wins. Didn't cost 2000 a ticket for any of it. It cost 1% of that.

Last edited:

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Taking the convo here. One of the many reasons I dislike Rogers Place compared to Rexall place.

Quite simply one was designed for working folk to enjoy games in affordable seats and the new generation of Stadia/Arena are designed specifically with high price points in mind. No need or want for "Gallery" seating, get rid of that, maximize the amount of most expensive seats.

I smelled this miles away soon as the original Arena renderings were being discussed.

Ironically these facilities being built with public funding to ensure that less people can afford to go to events and unfortunately that less major events take place.

For me, and I gather for a lot of people sports and entertainment stopped being a thing when ticket prices flew over 100bucks. Now into thousands of bucks for some events.

"Funflation"

Biggest irony is that almost all the fantastic events, Stanley Cup wins etc took place at the old Arena, Rexall place, the one they're tearing down. An arena where it was costing 24bucks to see a SC game 7 win. Still have the ticket stubs. Got to see Kiss, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Police, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, etc at the old arena along with multiple SC wins. Didn't cost 2000 a ticket for any of it. It cost 1% of that.
It's 2024 man, pro sports teams are owned by business people. They would rather sell less expensive seats and make those people pay lots for for food and beverage. I recall taking a cooler to the Esks games, with beer in it. No major sports team is selling tickets for $25, even exhibition. But you could probably find it on the resellers.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

"Funflation"

I’m almost as old as you are. I never saw class as an issue in our society (I’m specifically speaking about Canada here) at all up until about 10-15 years ago. It dominates it today. It’s really sad.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's 2024 man, pro sports teams are owned by business people. They would rather sell less expensive seats and make those people pay lots for for food and beverage. I recall taking a cooler to the Esks games, with beer in it. No major sports team is selling tickets for $25, even exhibition. But you could probably find it on the resellers.
So I don't really get this statement. Does 2024 have to suck for the consumer in everything? Do we have to be gouged in all our purchase?

Yes, business people want to make money. What has changed is the amount of money they want to make, and the margin they want to have, and willing dupes, we pay for it and in some instances like with food or heating costs with no choice.

It used to be considered to be OK to run profitable business that served well, and provided good product at reasonable price thus accruing the most consumers. Some businesses still operate that way but not many.

If the public just accepts its just 2024 so prices suck its supporting the whole shell game of why there is such rampant inflation. Or one of the reasons for it anyway.

In anycase even if one buys the argument that this should be what entertainment should cost one has to reconcile that stadia/arenas are generally getting lower capacity thus limiting the amount of seats to any event. The purveyors say that reducing attendance is within the purview of "improving customer experience" when really its about improving the supply/demand equation and increasingly to a smaller portioned market.

Rexall place had more events and more tickets sold almost any year of operation than Rogers Place is doing. One of the reasons for this is high pricing on entertainment means that only the highest profile entertainment now ends up in Arena's and has event dates. Ticketmaster, Livenation are sucking all the money out of the entertainment industry, and also increasing prices and surcharges. This kind of play works in the short term but in longterm it kills the same industries because less and less people consider themselves prime ticket consumers. The goose that lays the golden egg is dying and a lot of the top brand entertainers are too, and not being replaced by too many.

My option is just say no. It is for anybody.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m almost as old as you are. I never saw class as an issue in our society (I’m specifically speaking about Canada here) at all up until about 10-15 years ago. It dominates it today. It’s really sad.
Yeah. Its really sad for younger people that end up paying hundreds or thousands to attend an event. That have to spend more than they conceptualize having to buy a house or any residence. For many buying a vehicle isn't even realistic option today.

Flashback but I paid 21bucks in 1983 to see David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, The Tubes. Bought several tickets to bring friends. One of the best times. Great concert, it was the top selling concert tour in the world and so the demand was there, and the artists and promoters could have required people to pay much much more. But many artists back then grew up working class and wanted to be performing for them. They didn't want the only people in the crowd to be CEO's or one percenters. They really didn't want that.

I went to around 50 NHL playoff games in the 80's including two Stanley Cup winning games. Collectively all those games and events cost me LESS than somebody going to the playoffs or final round last season. Something to think about.

So that today Taylor Swift costs 100X as much to see and isn't even comparable in quality to former artists. Pay 100X more, get dreck. No wonder the music industry is dead and dying.

I don't write any of this for me but for the few people that will read it and realize something is seriously wrong. People can't get out of all costs but can re-determine how much discretionary spending they want to spend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad