OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes, this existed here DT. The library as well was beautiful. I believe the DT library is seen behind the courthouse in the last picture.

The loss of the courthouse is often sited as one of the many many disastrous decisions to let classic buildings get demolished. Indeed at one time in this city there was a zeal to rip down any buildings that were older and had character and replace them with such modernity as Brutalist 50's -60-70's's architecture.

Its also disappointing that Parks Canada chose to get behind the Winnipeg Court House as a heritage preserve, a beautiful building, and had not done the same in the case of the Edmonton Court house.

I remember that courthouse.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Taking the convo here. One of the many reasons I dislike Rogers Place compared to Rexall place.

Quite simply one was designed for working folk to enjoy games in affordable seats and the new generation of Stadia/Arena are designed specifically with high price points in mind. No need or want for "Gallery" seating, get rid of that, maximize the amount of most expensive seats.

I smelled this miles away soon as the original Arena renderings were being discussed.

Ironically these facilities being built with public funding to ensure that less people can afford to go to events and unfortunately that less major events take place.

For me, and I gather for a lot of people sports and entertainment stopped being a thing when ticket prices flew over 100bucks. Now into thousands of bucks for some events.

"Funflation"

Pass, lots of other fun things to do that don't cost a new mortgage.

Biggest irony is that almost all the fantastic events, Stanley Cup wins etc took place at the old Arena, Rexall place, the one they're tearing down. An arena where it was costing 24bucks to see a SC game 7 win. Still have the ticket stubs. Got to see Kiss, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Police, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, etc at the old arena along with multiple SC wins. Didn't cost 2000 a ticket for any of it. It cost 1% of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad