Around the League 2018-19 IV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate the Islanders, but I don't care about how they treated Tavares.

I think management is kind of stupid for giving him that video, knowing what was gonna happen.

Did Niedermayer even get a tribute video his first game back in New Jersey? Which was like 2.5 years after he left? I know I was there, but I forgot if we gave him one or not. I know we never gave one to the two who departed for the Rangers.

The only player I could see Lou doing something like that for was maybe Marty if he came back and played us (or even backed up) the year after he left. And maybe Niedermayer and I don't think they did it for Niedermayer.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They should have cheered during the video and then booed him during play.

The fact that they booed him when hes the ONLY reason the Islanders even exist as of today....
The only reason the Islanders exist today is because of Charles Wang. For all his faults he saved the team and kept them afloat until he put the team in the hands of excelent owners who solved the arena issues plaguing the team since the late 90's. Johnny Pajamas had jack shit to do with it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I hate the Islanders, but I don't care about how they treated Tavares.

I think management is kind of stupid for giving him that video, knowing what was gonna happen.

Did Niedermayer even get a tribute video his first game back in New Jersey? Which was like 2.5 years after he left? I know I was there, but I forgot if we gave him one or not. I know we never gave one to the two who departed for the Rangers.

The only player I could see Lou doing something like that for was maybe Marty if he came back and played us (or even backed up) the year after he left. And maybe Niedermayer and I don't think they did it for Niedermayer.

Neids didn't get one and was booed very loudly the entire game.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Neids didn't get one and was booed very loudly the entire game.
I thought so.

I don’t remember the tribute, but I remember the loud negative ovation he received. So I assumed there probably wasn’t a tribute. It wasn’t like Lou to do a video tribute. So I don’t understand who made the choice to do one for Tavares.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I thought so.

I don’t remember the tribute, but I remember the loud negative ovation he received. So I assumed there probably wasn’t a tribute. It wasn’t like Lou to do a video tribute. So I don’t understand who made the choice to do one for Tavares.

Lou has gotten soft in his old age

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think the nieds thing (f*** nieds btw) was long before these nonstop tribute videos were a thing

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Oh come on. Guy wins three cups with the Devils and leaves to play with his brother. What does he owe our organization?

disclaimer: i’m not trying to convince you or anyone else, i’m well aware i’m in the minority on this. just my personal feelings.

the way he left was crippling to the organization. the chain of events that followed, because he waited as long as he did, really f***ed us. i appreciate the cups, but f*** him.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
disclaimer: i’m not trying to convince you or anyone else, i’m well aware i’m in the minority on this. just my personal feelings.

the way he left was crippling to the organization. the chain of events that followed, because he waited as long as he did, really ****ed us. i appreciate the cups, but **** him.

As someone who lives away from home - I cannot kill any of these guys for going to their families. Traitor Gomez, Traitor Johnny Mac, Traitor Holik- yeah. Mercenary bastards running to our arch-rival. I would have been truly upset if they had had any success and I'm extremely glad they are all considered cautionary tales (and came back to the family, ultimately).

Zach going to his dying Dad is a strong case. Nieds going to the west coast for his Mom, and to play with his brother is weaker, but still a pretty good story in my book.

Reactions: glenwo2

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
That Ferland hit on Johansson did not look good. I hate to say it, but I’m glad we got something for him before he got injured again.

Reactions: glenwo2

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Definitely concussion protocol. His head whipped hard. With his previous concussion history he is going to be prone to them even if the hit isnt a shot to the head. He can thank his teammate for that.

Hope he is okay. They really need to make him do some neck extensions in the off season to strengthen his neck muscles. It will partially help prevent violent whiplash like that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

the way he left was crippling to the organization. the chain of events that followed, because he waited as long as he did, really ****ed us. i appreciate the cups, but **** him.

im with this guy. he knew what he was doing he knew he was leaving to play with his brother. thats a decision you dont just make up overnight but yet he waited and waited and waited.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
As someone who lives away from home - I cannot kill any of these guys for going to their families. Traitor Gomez, Traitor Johnny Mac, Traitor Holik- yeah. Mercenary bastards running to our arch-rival. I would have been truly upset if they had had any success and I'm extremely glad they are all considered cautionary tales (and came back to the family, ultimately).

Zach going to his dying Dad is a strong case. Nieds going to the west coast for his Mom, and to play with his brother is weaker, but still a pretty good story in my book.

i get zach left to be home but he certainly didn't take a home team discount. he also didn't take any shorter time on his contract either to help the team out. so again did he really go home for family? if the wild weren't going to offer him a ton crap of money and years would he have signed there? my guess is a big NO. but again if thats your plan all along which we found out to be the case with suter and them talking the year before then how CAN'T you be pissed at zach? heck his dad even gave away the plan too and zach had to back step it

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I wouldn't call Johnny Mac a traitor for going to the Rangers. He and Bruce Driver are both big exceptions, which I talked about last week.

First off with Johnny Mac, he didn't leave the Devils to go to the Rangers (Driver did, but I'll get to that later). He was traded by us to San Jose, then when his contract expired he signed with the Rangers. He said he signed with the Rangers to move back and be close to his kids. I think he turned down a better deal from Toronto to go to the Rangers. Obviously coming back to the Devils was not an option or on the table at that point. He would later come back as a coach after his playing career was done, but coming back to the Devils was not going to happen at that point, so he came back to the area and signed with the Rangers and got to be with his kids again.

Driver left the Devils as a UFA to sign with the Rangers. He wanted to stay with the Devils, but Lou wouldn't give him a no trade clause. He didn't wanna uproot his family and signing with the Rangers afforded him the ability to do that. They gave him the no trade clause and he went there.

Back in the day, Lou didn't hand out no trade clasues or no movement clauses. Not a lot of GM's did back in the mid 90's, even though they're so common place today. They're standard with almost any multiple year UFA that's on a decent salaried contract.

I'm trying to think if Elias got the first no trade clause Lou ever gave out? Marty and Scott Stevens might have gotten them, but they were always re-signed before getting close to UFA or even RFA in Marty's case at that time, due to his age. So I'm not even counting them. I don't think Mogilny and that batch in 2005 got a NTC or NMC, did they? Elias might have been the first in 2006. Then guys like Zubrus (I don't even know if he got one on his first contract with us though? I think he did on his second) and maybe even Rolston were getting them also.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
driver was always living in NJ - his kids were raised in my town and went to the same schools as me and my sister.

thought it was cool that he coached me in roller back in the mid 00's
Which is why he opted to sign with the Rangers (for trade security and family purposes) and not for reasons like Holik and Gomez.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Players aren't fans. It's their jobs.

I still think it's ridiculous to act like players have the same loyalty to franchises that fans do. To them they should treat teams as another employer (with few exceptions).

For all I care they don't need a reason for why they want to leave or where they want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad