Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think Savoie could be a jack of all trades type of forward in bottom-6 in Edmonton (if he can avoid injuries) who can occasionally replace injured guys higher in the lineup. He has versatile skillset and great compete level but even in junior games he rarely shows something that makes me think wow that's special stuff or that "he could pull that off in the NHL and get people out of their seats". Other small forwards like Benson, Ostlund and Helenius seem more cerebral players and therefore might have more upside and value than Savoie so I totally get Buffalo's decision.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Savoie could be a jack of all trades type of forward in bottom-6 in Edmonton (if he can avoid injuries) who can occasionally replace injured guys higher in the lineup. He has versatile skillset and great compete level but even in junior games he rarely shows something that makes me think wow that's special stuff or that "he could pull that off in the NHL and get people out of their seats". Other small forwards like Benson, Ostlund and Helenius seem more cerebral players and therefore might have more upside and value than Savoie so I totally get Buffalo's decision.

I think Savoie will be more valuable as an inexpensive winger for Draisaitl or McDavid. I think his tools are really good for passing the puck around and taking advantage of the space those guys create. I think his lack of size is going to be more of an issue in the bottom six where he'd have to create his own space. Yamamoto for example, before injuries wrecked him, was the perfect complement to Draisaitl. Savoie is more skilled and less physical, and that should help him survive in the league longer.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Multiple teams now doing their own thing and not dealing with Bally..
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. My impression is that the CBJ business side of things is completely uncreative and unable to think outside the box. I fully expect the organization to be cautious, stay the course, and would likely be one of the last American teams to ever try something new or radical.

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka and CBJx614

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

Multiple teams now doing their own thing and not dealing with Bally..
I've yet to hear how any team is going to replace the revenue provided by Bally's or any other Regional Sports Network. No one knows for sure (other than the teams and the RSNs) how much the RSN rights fees are, but for a team like the CBJ it's been projected to be somewhere in the $20-50M/ year range.

How is a team going to replace this revenue when no one is paying a rights fee? There is no way to get close with advertising sales or app membership fees.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The weird thing is that Columbus takes chances with the arts and really benefits from it. You would think the Jackets might be influenced by the arts scene in Columbus. BalletMet hires bright young people knowing they will eventually move on to bigger groups, like Edwaard Liang who recently left for DC. The Columbus Symphony is similar with their music director Rossen Milanov. The Wexner Center had Johanna Burton who was hired away by the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. We produce poets, painters, actors, musicians, etc. But we can’t put together a decent production for our hockey team? It is really said.

edited because no spell check in the world is going to accept Edwaard, but that is his name

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad