Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I haven’t gotten a chance to watch the last two games. I’ll try to catch up on those this weekend. The games that I have had an opportunity to watch though, he looks better than he did before the injury. He wasn’t getting moved off the puck near as easily as he was to start the season. His passes looked cleaner with not as many attempts through clogged lanes. He seems to be doing more to drive the play on his line instead of being a passenger on it. I don’t know his exact stats due to not having seen the last two but I’ll try to get those after I see the games.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Hopefully Adz was at the game and gives us one of their infamous write ups. I’ll just say that the second period by the Admirals was the most dominant period of hockey I’ve witnessed in a long time. They maintained pressure in the offensive zone for the majority of the period and were just smothering Grand Rapids. The third period was almost a repeat of the second.

Askarov got a shutout and laid his net over face down again which I think is absolutely hilarious. I love that kid. He loves to come out of the net and handle the puck every chance he gets and he did it a LOT tonight.

Sherwood might not have impressed very many people while he was skating with the Preds but in the AHL, that man can do that hockey stuff very well.

Sherwood, Schneider and Huntington got the goals tonight. Huntington’s goal came off an absolutely beautiful pass from Tomasino. I stopped the game and made my kids come watch the replay 😂.

Tomasino had another really solid game. Taylor has him looking good. Not sure when he’ll get his shot with the big club but I expect all the work he’s put in and his development under Taylor so far is going to pay dividends when he does.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Not really much to say tonight other than complete domination from start to finish. Markus Nurmi continues to stand out to me every time I watch him.
<insert 6'5" joke... >

Weird that he has just 1 point in the last 10 games. Hopefully we find a way to convert that free wallet into an asset at the NHL level before he decides to go back home? The Nurmi-Parssinen-Kemell line would be fun for some out of town fans... :)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I thought the issue was Fiala, then Arvidsson, then Kunin. But it sounds like it is Joey? Sure he can be a little lazy but which Pred is not lazy at times? Only a few will fall into that category. Trotz was never given a true 1C and a loaded roster like Lavy had and what did Lavy do. Players started to not play or the system started to fail and the result ended with Lavy gone. Hynes has had the players he wanted and let go the ones he didn't want and the play has suffered because of it... and he is still the coach. That is on GMDP.
Have no idea where you got that I was anti Arvy in fact I was one of the few that was pulling for him to be kept after camp and send Fisla back down. The thing you could be referring to was the next year when there was a glut of small players Jarnkrok, Arvy, Fiala, Ellis. As I recall that line of debate I too the side that a team could protect one or two small guys but not all four. I still stand by that I was never anti Kunin even after his production dropped I wanted him to succeed. Johansen is too lazy and who knows what motivates the guy, because when he wants too he can be a 1C the issue is he rarely wants too. Now as to Trotz never having a 1C Jason Arnott says hello. Was he the elite 1C no but he was a knotch up from Legwand. Now I agree Trotz was never given a roster as good as Lavi was but in no way would I consider ANY roster n Nashville stacked. They have had stacked D and elite goal tending and ample scoring but stacked top to bottom nope. As to Hynes the guy was a bad hire from day one. Poiles nepotism resulted in that hire. The guy is going to be fired at some point, at this point none of us are sure Poile has permission to fire the guy from ownership or if he has dug his heals in wanting to keep Hynes. If it were most any other team in the league Hynes would be gone now.

Most want to trade roster guys now for futures while keeping the core intact. This will only extend the pain longer. All these young guys deserve a shot but like always one maybe two of them will stick and there going to be playing 3rd and 4th line for a while before moving up the food chain. Combined with the historical record of Not producing and retaining young guys , longing for young kids under Poile is senseless.

The makeup of the roster is all on the GM. And this roster has been disjointed for a long time. Actually starting before Johansen was brought in . Poile loaded the roster with centers before trying to make a true 1C. Most of these guys ended up playing on the wing and were not nearly as effective. This ended up creating this disjointed roster as he thinned out those centers he brought in Granlund who is effective when on the wing of a good center. It has become beyond frustrating watching Poile piece washed up forwards with ineffective centers and hoping for results. FF9 should be frustrated there is no reason he should not be on a contending team situation with players on his line that allow him to be a consistent 40 goal ppg guy, he is that talented. For that matter Duchene should be a 70 point guy year in year out but both those guys need some talent around them where they do not have to do it all.
Until Poile is replaced it matters little who is behind the bench. Just enough talent to fight for a playoff spot is not acceptable after 24 years.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Fabbro is fine, he’s just a victim of our depth. Same thing happened with Seth Jones but he held 10x the value fabs does. If we can get an equal forward prospect for him that’s fine. But I honestly don’t see the need to move him at all. If we just move out all our young players for Hynes only to fire him after alll this, which he will be sooner than later, it would be so wasteful.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Fabbro is fine, he’s just a victim of our depth. Same thing happened with Seth Jones but he held 10x the value fabs does. If we can get an equal forward prospect for him that’s fine. But I honestly don’t see the need to move him at all. If we just move out all our young players for Hynes only to fire him after alll this, which he will be sooner than later, it would be so wasteful.
Wasteful is one word for it.

Utterly clueless another. If the plan is to go through a transition and start bringing up the next group of core players, then you are clueless to jettison younger players so as to bring in and keep guys nearing the end of their career. It screams dysfunctional into a giant megaphone.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Fabs is a victim of recency bias. When the general Perd fan thinks of him, they think of the goals against he's been on the ice for.
I like him and don't want to see him traded, but I'm also not sure how high his is ceiling is at this point. Serviceable #4 if paired with a good #3 but a bottom pairing guy if he has to carry the pairing I guess? They seem to think more of a Carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad