Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - Looking to the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
MTL fan coming in peace. There's a lot of talk in habsland about Askarov. And as you guys already have an elite, still young goalie (and based on the post above, not being shopped because you're not rebuilding), would you be interested in an Askarov deal with us? We're talking FLA's first (likely 12th-13th OA) + solid prospect.
No.

There's no point in trading Askarov if the return is something like that. Saros is 28 when next season starts and will have two season remaining on his deal still. Askarov is clearly the goalie of the future in this organization and trading him for a pick who may or may not help us in 3-4 years does not make a lick of sense.

If a top-five pick or a really high-end, can't-miss prospect is on the table then I'd be willing to trade Askarov. A lottery ticket for him is not enough. It needs to be a sure thing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
MTL fan coming in peace. There's a lot of talk in habsland about Askarov. And as you guys already have an elite, still young goalie (and based on the post above, not being shopped because you're not rebuilding), would you be interested in an Askarov deal with us? We're talking FLA's first (likely 12th-13th OA) + solid prospect.
Askarov was an 11th overall pick so trading him for a pick in the same range but years behind developmentally is a no go unless that is one hell of a prospect coming with it. Askarov is coming along nicely and there is no need to move him. We have saros for 2 more season. If Askarov looks ready, we look at trading saros in the last year of his contract. If askarov isnt ready, we look to try and extend saros and trade him when (if) askarov is ready.

If you want to help us get a center from the 2nd to 5th overall area, then we can talk. Yeah we likely got to add because noone is going to want to trade those picks this year.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Agreed with what the others have said. Unless that "solid prospect" is one of your best, Nashville has no reason to be trading their top prospect and future starting goalie for another pick. Makes no sense.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Others have already mentioned, but I'd have no interest in this. We used an 11OA on him and he's on track with development, so the prospect would have to blow our socks off (and even then...).

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Askarov is the number one goalie prospect and a top ten prospect in the entire NHL. A mid to late first round pick and some prospect doesn’t really cut it (unless it’s a top 15 prospect in the deal).

Reactions: Soundgarden

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

It'd have to be Montreal's 1st unprotected or a very very highly ranked prospect/young player; Byfield, Power, Seider, etc.

Askarov is one of the best goalie prospects in the league and we drafted him high, he's got that special quality not a lot of players have.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't have much to add, I just wanted to add to the chorus of voices saying "no, this makes no sense for the Preds." ;)

Reactions: BigFatCat999

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It'd have to be Montreal's 1st unprotected or a very very highly ranked prospect/young player; Byfield, Power, Seider, etc.

Askarov is one of the best goalie prospects in the league and we drafted him high, he's got that special quality not a lot of players have.
I think you meant "and" instead of "or". Even then, I'm not totally sure.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If I'm sitting in Trotz's chair right now, there is no way I sell off more pieces. This is a playoff caliber team, period. Right now, with Forsberg, Josi, Duchene, Johansen, Carrier out, the team is still finding ways to win some games, and the young players leading the charge are only going to get better. Saros of course is a huge key to everything. There is no reason to even cast a glance backwards and wonder if any further steps back would help. It just shouldn't be on the table.

We do need to find a way to integrate those top salary players when they come back next season into a cohesive whole. Coach's job. But there should be no reason to think the team can't make the playoffs next season. Pundits will of course look at the deadline mini-blowup and automatically count us out, thinking we're "rebuilding". But Trotz should have a far different perspective based on what he's seeing today. Trading Saros can't even be considered. And it's not even worth couching that in "well the other team would have to knock our socks off with a crazy overpayment"... because no team is going to actually do that. There are other goalies. So just let them go chase those other goalies, Saros is not on the table for anything that any team would REALISTICALLY give up.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trotz has an interesting base to work with here. The defense is still quite stout.

Josi-Fabbro
McD-Carrier
Lauzon-Barrie
Gross-Foote

Foote and Lauzon are both growing on me. Barrie has been real good but i dont think he makes it past the trade deadline. Foote is slow as all get out though so im not sure how long he will last. Gross has a 1 way contract and has looked fine in his starts. Lauzon has stepped up alot at the end of the season.

The offense can have tons of different looks but the base (when healthy) is good if the young players step up.

Forsberg glass Evangelista
Duchene novak tomasino
Trenin Parssinen joey
Smith sissons sherwood

Alot will depend on if joey is healthy. Smith and sherwood with sissons can make a pesky and quick forecheck line. If trenin is traded Afanaseyev can come up.

Saros
Lankinen

Maybe Lankinen gets traded at deadline if askarov is ready.

Forwards wont wow you unless some strides are taken but with some hungry players in there who knows.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
When you consider that we've historically built out from excellent goaltending and Askarov is on track to succeed Saros, it makes no sense to blow up the roadmap, to give up on Askarov and the future, and all for a middling 1st and/or a middling prospect.

PS: I keep seeing it suggested that Johansen or Sissons should be moved to wing. (Hynes even tried that, moving Sissons to wing and double shifting him at center with the Herd bros.) However, Johansen and Sissons are above average when it comes to winning faceoffs. It's one aspect of Novak's game that honestly needs to improve. Parssinen, if the aliens ever bring him back, held his own and Glass has continued to improve.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan. You’ve got a lot of RHD now that Livingstone’s signed. I asked before about Fabbro. What would Buffalo need to trade to acquire him?

Thanks in advance.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Just to be clear, that’s your opinion of Fabbro (vice Livingstone)?
Our opinion is that he's at least a top 4 capable RHD that has been misused this season by our knob of a coach and we'd be pissed off if he was traded for the types of deals usually offered on these boards. Livingstone is irrelevant to the situation--hasn't even set foot on NHL ice yet.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Fabbro is decent, but let’s face it, if he’s your top pair guy you’re not a good team.

At best he’s your #4. Ideally he’s your bottom pair puck-moving D.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Fabbro is decent, but let’s face it, if he’s your top pair guy you’re not a good team.

At best he’s your #4. Ideally he’s your bottom pair puck-moving D.
If Fabbro is on your bottom pairing then you have one hell of a defense core.

Change his name to Kevin Klein and roll the date back and no one would know the difference around here.

Reactions: Viqsi

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hopefully a kings ransom that your management wouldn't want to do. He should not be for sale. He is the future top Dman (maybe already is) for this team.
This sounds a bit strong. IMO, he's a solid, young D that hopefully still has some good upside. Since he is young, however, I'd think it would take a solid offer to entice management to think to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad