Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Are we trading our d men anytime soon ? We definitely have a surplus there

"It's unclear if those veterans would accept an AHL job". So we're specifically looking for someone here below Merzlikins and Tarasov? That's going to have to be a pretty bad goalie.
It appears to me that we will not sign any goalies. I guess that could make sense because I don’t think anyone expects us to contend for play off this upcoming season

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Jarmo's (not) in a hurry
Werenski was born, raised and still spends his offseasons in Michigan. He knows several former Red Wings and a few former Maple Leafs who played for Babcock, and he talked to many of them. Kuraly did the same, including a conversation with former Blue Jackets winger Gustav Nyquist, who played for Babcock in Detroit.

“The one thing I’ve gotten from everybody is, he’s the most prepared coach I’ll ever play for,” Werenski said. “He’s going to outwork every other coach, be prepared with the pre-scouts, the video, practices … everything will be very detailed.

“As players, that excites you. You want to win hockey games, and that’s the guy who is doing it, the guy who is the most prepared.”

Kuraly said he’s heard Babcock is similar to his former coach in Boston, Bruce Cassidy, who just coached Vegas to the Stanley Cup. It wasn’t always easy or fun in Boston, Kuraly said. But the Bruins played a hard, organized style with great success.
Enjoyed this check in with the players thoughts on hiring Babs as well..

Last edited:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Are we trading our d men anytime soon ? We definitely have a surplus there

It appears to me that we will not sign any goalies. I guess that could make sense because I don’t think anyone expects us to contend for play off this upcoming season
No need to trade any D before the training camp. Keep all of them and see who is at what level.

Unless one of them is needed in a package to acquire the top center.

Reactions: Marioesque

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm happy with the LW options we have with players with Tex and Voronkov coming in, but is the RW quality looking as terrible as I think it is?

Marchenko, Chinakhov, Roslovic, Bemström, Danforth, Olivier, Foudy

Some good prospects and a lot of scraps, but zero legimate top 6 right wingers if Laine plays center. If they want to push the team to playoffs, trading for someone like Troy Terry would help a lot

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I'm happy with the LW options we have with players with Tex and Voronkov coming in, but is the RW quality looking as terrible as I think it is?

Some good prospects and a lot of scraps, but zero legimate top 6 right wingers if Laine plays center. If they want to push the team to playoffs, trading for someone like Troy Terry would help a lot

Marchenko showed he has all the tools of a top 6 forward. Him and Chinny are 22, they'll get better too.

Let's see where they're at, then make decisions with better info

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

On the flip side, folks are going to say we never gave Marchenko and Chinakhov a chance if they don't get top six looks this year. It's only going to get harder for them to get time after this year.

Realistically, I'm not sure if Chinakhov is ready, I might prefer him in Cleveland. And some of Laine, Fantilli, KJ, Tex, and Jenner will get time at RW too.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
On the flip side, folks are going to say we never gave Marchenko and Chinakhov a chance if they don't get top six looks this year. It's only going to get harder for them to get time after this year.

Realistically, I'm not sure if Chinakhov is ready, I might prefer him in Cleveland. And some of Laine, Fantilli, KJ, Tex, and Jenner will get time at RW too.
Johnny-Fantilli-x
KJ-Laine-x
Voronkov-Jenner-Tex
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth/Roslovic

You'll still have one top 6 spot open even of you get another winger. I dont think there would be much room for complaints if they couldnt earn a top 6 spot over Roslo/Danforth/Bemström/Tex. That's not exactly world class competition for the spots. (And I'm expeting Roslovic to be traded tbh)

I'd love this 3rd line if someone can play RW. Now that you mentioned it, I think I recall seeing Tex as RW on some Swiss lineup sheets, so I'm optimistic about our bottom 6 depth there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnny-Fantilli-x
KJ-Laine-x
Voronkov-Jenner-Tex
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth/Roslovic

You'll still have one top 6 spot open even of you get another winger. I dont think there would be much room for complaints if they couldnt earn a top 6 spot over Roslo/Danforth/Bemström/Tex. That's not exactly world class competition for the spots. (And I'm expeting Roslovic to be traded tbh)

I'd love this 3rd line if someone can play RW. Now that you mentioned it, I think I recall seeing Tex as RW on some Swiss lineup sheets, so I'm optimistic about our bottom 6 depth there.

Tex was at RW when he was last in our lineup.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This is so frogging annoying, the second line center is Jenner, you know, the guy who scored over 20 goals in each of the last two years ???? It is so annoying how the guy is disrespected by so many fans.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
This is so frogging annoying, the second line center is Jenner, you know, the guy who scored over 20 goals in each of the last two years ???? It is so annoying how the guy is disrespected by so many fans.
For me, anyway, it's nothing to do with talent.

I'm afraid if we keep adding minutes to Jenner's plate, it's going to be an early career for him. Why not add another good center, allow him to eat minutes, and preserve Jenner for slightly longer into his career?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
If we’re signing a veteran goalie with the purpose of him being the call Up guy in Cleveland, there is no way Halak, Elliott, Greiss, or Jones take up that offer. Especially the first two. The first three have been in the NHL for years and would probably rather just walk away than go to the minors. Jones might, but he might take issue with playing well last year and getting demoted.

Honestly there isn’t many options for the other. I guess maybe Hutchinson, Kinkaid, Berube, Dell or Stallock are the best bets for journeyman backups who can come up or down. None of these guys are NHL caliber goalies anymore. So I’m not sure I love this gamble by jarmo to go with Tarasov and Elvis

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If we’re signing a veteran goalie with the purpose of him being the call Up guy in Cleveland, there is no way Halak, Elliott, Greiss, or Jones take up that offer. Especially the first two. The first three have been in the NHL for years and would probably rather just walk away than go to the minors. Jones might, but he might take issue with playing well last year and getting demoted.

Honestly there isn’t many options for the other. I guess maybe Hutchinson, Kinkaid, Berube, Dell or Stallock are the best bets for journeyman backups who can come up or down. None of these guys are NHL caliber goalies anymore. So I’m not sure I love this gamble by jarmo to go with Tarasov and Elvis
Stalock put up a 908 SV% on Chicago last year and looked good doing it a lot of the time. I dont know if hes ready to be a goalie that bounces between leagues and only plays when there are injuries

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's a tank move.

I haven't heard Jarmo say it directly though so I'm hoping it was just another bad guess by Porty.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
It's a tank move.

I haven't heard Jarmo say it directly though so I'm hoping it was just another bad guess by Porty.
He said it at the Fantilli press conference yesterday that they’re in the market for a veteran goalie for Cleveland and they feel good with Elvis and Tarasov

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

We need one of each, as I said first like two weeks ago.

I know Jet is there (in the system depth chart) and I know there’s a kid (Lalonde?) too. But I don’t trust Tarasov and the Elvis situation is well-documented.

I said two weeks ago they need a guy to time-share Elvis and then they need Hutch.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
That's wild.

4:10

"I think we have two very talented goalies that are going to be here with us next year with Elvis and Tarasov. If we could add something to the depth...we have Greaves in Cleveland...but he may need time to develop."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad