Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think (and hope) he'd shoot more if he'd get more space. Fantilli will create that space if he becomes a big scoring threat.

And it'd actually be lovely to see someone score a onetimer from Laine's crossice pass for once. Fantilli might be the first guy with the tools to do it.
The problem is that Laine is starting to pass the puck more even when he has free ice. Even Jakub Voráček said it, he had to said him to shoot more. One of the reasons Lars made Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine line is just to make him shoot more (by the way, if we had a player stylistically similar to Gus on the left side, that would be the perfect line for me).

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I know I’m certainly not speaking for Bus here, but am I the only one who thinks Elvis can turn it around with some time off, a new goalie coach, and a better team in front of him?

The team was a steaming pile of dogshit last year. Any goalie would improve the following year if the team takes a step forward, especially with an actually good coach with a strong system at the helm.

He still probably isn’t the long term solution in net, but I don’t think he’s just going to permanently be an .880 goalie now.

Other than Hellebuyck, what options are out there currently that would be a surefire long term solution in net? Maybe I’m overlooking someone.
I think he can turn it around. Elvis was always an aggressive goaltender, he tends to put himself in bad situations, and he needs his defense to play with his aggressiveness. I don't think it's a coincidence his best season was his rookie year when he had his best defense in front of him. I probably worded that bad but I have faith in him

Reactions: CBJ goalie

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I know I’m certainly not speaking for Bus here, but am I the only one who thinks Elvis can turn it around with some time off, a new goalie coach, and a better team in front of him?

The team was a steaming pile of dogshit last year. Any goalie would improve the following year if the team takes a step forward, especially with an actually good coach with a strong system at the helm.

He still probably isn’t the long term solution in net, but I don’t think he’s just going to permanently be an .880 goalie now.

Other than Hellebuyck, what options are out there currently that would be a surefire long term solution in net? Maybe I’m overlooking someone.
Sports Physiologist needed.
Chuck Knoblauch on ice.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

With John Gibson saying he isn’t playing anymore for Anaheim - here is a deal with Gibson on same term and only $1m more

Anaheim - Elvis, Bemstrom + ‘24 4th
Columbus - Gibson

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
With John Gibson saying he isn’t playing anymore for Anaheim - here is a deal with Gibson on 1yr less on term but less than a million more.

Columbus - Gibson

Thoughts?
I’d love to get Gibson, but both goalies in this scenario have modified no-trade clauses. I would expect Anaheim to be on Elvis’s list since they’ve been bad for several years, and I’d be shocked if we weren’t on Gibson’s.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I’d love to get Gibson, but both goalies in this scenario have modified no-trade clauses. I would expect Anaheim to be on Elvis’s list since they’ve been bad for several years, and I’d be shocked if we weren’t on Gibson’s.
Maybe change of scenery would work for both and they would agree.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'd imagine both are dying to get a change of scenery and would go literally anywhere in the league.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Has Gibson sorted out the injuries? Last time I followed him closely he was top 5 goalie in the league but made of glass. I'm not sure I want a 6m glass man for 4 more years

Edit. Looked through his stats and saw he has +50 games played most seasons. No clue when or why I thought he has been injury prone?

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

With John Gibson saying he isn’t playing anymore for Anaheim - here is a deal with Gibson on same term and only $1m more

Columbus - Gibson

Thoughts?

We got a fight brewin.

The summer of Carolina.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Columbus - Gibson

Thoughts?

I think Jarmo is in his cabin near Kuopio. Just get my car keyes and couple vodkabottles. 4th can look like 2nd when you know

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Though I am intrigued by Merzlikins + something for Gibson, I am very curious to see how Merzlikins performs under Bäckström and Babcock and would like for him to at least get the chance to turn it around. Trading Merzlikins now might turn out to be yet another classic case of selling low.

Reactions: Fro and CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What the lineup looks like overall. If only NHL level players (waivers/waivers exempt):

- Emil Bemstrom
- Justin Danforth
- Liam Foudy
- Johnny Gaudreau
- Boone Jenner
- Sean Kuraly
- Patrik Laine
- Carson Meyer
- Mathieu Olivier
- Eric Robinson
- Jack Roslovic
- Alexandre Texier
------
- Yegor Chinakhov
- Adam Fantilli
- Kent Johnson
- Kirill Marchenko
- Hunter McCown
- Cole Sillinger
- Dmitri Voronkov

12+6, 9 players who would play in the roster
••••••

- Jake Bean
- Adam Boqvist
- Jake Christiansen
- Erik Gudbranson
- Andrew Peeke
- Ivan Provorov
- Damon Severson
- Zach Werenski
------
- Nick Blankenburg
- David Jiříček

8+2, 7 who would play in the roster

Columbus Blue Jackets Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Rosters (I tried to balance the lines):

Waivers
Johnny Gaudreau -- Boone Jenner -- Emil Bemstrom
Eric Robinson -- Patrik Laine -- Liam Foudy
Alexandre Texier -- Jack Roslovic -- Justin Danforth
Carson Meyer -- Sean Kuraly -- Mathieu Olivier

Zach Werenski, Adam Boqvist
Ivan Provorov, Damon Severson
Jake Bean, Eric Gudbranson
Andrew Peeke

----

Waivers exempt
Kent Johnson -- Adam Fantilli -- Kirill Marchenko
Dmitri Voronkov -- Cole Sillinger -- Yegor Chinakhov
James Malatesta -- Hunter McCown -- Mikael Pyyhtia
xxx -- Tyler Angle -- Cameron Butler

Stanislav Svozil
, David Jiříček
Samuel Kňažko, Nick Blankenburg
Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm, Corson Ceulemans

Tim Berni isn't resigned yet.

Minimum the first "waiver exempt" line will play in the NHL from the start of the season. So, if Babcock wants a veteran, minimum 4-5 forwards and maybe 1 d-man must be traded, especially for draft picks.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Funny how people want to throw Elvis to the wolves yet the guy making 6.4 for the next 4 years and hasn't put up good numbers for the last 4 years is the shiny new toy everyone wants.
Fair point that Gibson is in no way a guarenteed solution. However, Gibson was one of the best at one point and a change of team can help, so I feel people are just eager to roll the dice with the extra 1m of AAV.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Funny how people want to throw Elvis to the wolves yet the guy making 6.4 for the next 4 years and hasn't put up good numbers for the last 4 years is the shiny new toy everyone wants.
Makes sense if you dont watch either play and just look at stats I guess. If you watch Anaheim games Gibson is the only reason we even had a shot at finishing below them in the standings, they dont surpass 50 points on the season without him

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Makes sense if you dont watch either play and just look at stats I guess. If you watch Anaheim games Gibson is the only reason we even had a shot at finishing below them in the standings, they dont surpass 50 points on the season without him
And Elvis and every other goalie played behind the worst defensively structured team I've ever seen in my life.

Both teams are terrible. Both teams had goalies with terrible stats. Maybe there is something to that. I don't see how it is a guaranteed upgrade for the cost it would require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad