Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Both teams are terrible. Both teams had goalies with terrible stats. Maybe there is something to that. I don't see how it is a guaranteed upgrade for the cost it would require.

I don’t think it is a guaranteed upgrade. It is an intriguing idea, especially if you think Elvis wont be able to get his head right in Columbus. If you think there is no chance for Elvis to be a good goalie vs some chance that Gibson could be a good goalie, you probably are ok with the extra year.

Their 21-22 numbers are very similar:
Gibson: 3,235 minutes .904 save percentage 3.19 goals against
Elvis: 3,320 minutes .907 save percentage 3.22 goals against

Gibson looked a little better last year:
Gibson: 3,004 minutes .899 save percentage 3.99 goals against
Elvis: 1,560 minutes .876 save percentage 4.23 goals against

Neither goalie has been good. Gibson’s contract is one year longer and has a higher cap hit. Gibson also has been a really good goalie. Maybe the both benefit from a new team.

I personally don’t make the trade. But if Anaheim were willing to retain $2 million then I probably would.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And Elvis and every other goalie played behind the worst defensively structured team I've ever seen in my life.

Both teams are terrible. Both teams had goalies with terrible stats. Maybe there is something to that. I don't see how it is a guaranteed upgrade for the cost it would require.
Gibson averaged over 37 shots against per game, Merzlikins was around 30. That alone should tell you something. He also handles that workload and is basically a lock for 50+ starts. I like Merzlikins and the chances of him rebounding more than most but give Gibson an actual NHL team and people will be in for a surprise with how good he is

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gibson averaged over 37 shots against per game, Merzlikins was around 30. That alone should tell you something. He also handles that workload and is basically a lock for 50+ starts. I like Merzlikins and the chances of him rebounding more than most but give Gibson an actual NHL team and people will be in for a surprise with how good he is
Isn’t that what we’re trying to do with Elvis?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Only 30? This team bled shots against last season.

We actually allowed 35 according to this but we took 30 shots per game.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Neither goalie has been good. Gibson’s contract is one year longer and has a higher cap hit. Gibson also has been a really good goalie. Maybe the both benefit from a new team.

I personally don’t make the trade. But if Anaheim were willing to retain $2 million then I probably would.

Just FYI the remaining term is 4 years for both.

Reactions: koteka

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think it’s fair to give Elvis one more year. New goalie coach. Defense that should be significantly improved with Werenski, Provorov, Severson and possibly/probably Jiricek. Let’s see what happens.

This is the make or break year though. And I think everyone - ownership, front office, coaching staff, teammates, fans and Elvis himself - knows it.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don’t think it is a guaranteed upgrade. It is an intriguing idea, especially if you think Elvis wont be able to get his head right in Columbus. If you think there is no chance for Elvis to be a good goalie vs some chance that Gibson could be a good goalie, you probably are ok with the extra year.

Their 21-22 numbers are very similar:
Gibson: 3,235 minutes .904 save percentage 3.19 goals against
Elvis: 3,320 minutes .907 save percentage 3.22 goals against

Gibson looked a little better last year:
Gibson: 3,004 minutes .899 save percentage 3.99 goals against
Elvis: 1,560 minutes .876 save percentage 4.23 goals against

Sir you are incorrect they both have 4yrs on their term

Reactions: koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it’s fair to give Elvis one more year. New goalie coach. Defense that should be significantly improved with Werenski, Provorov, Severson and possibly/probably Jiricek. Let’s see what happens.

This is the make or break year though. And I think everyone - ownership, front office, coaching staff, teammates, fans and Elvis himself - knows it.
You're right. Only, if the insider is correct, there were questions about Elvis' work ethic. Also, Jarmo doesn't build a team so that poor goalie play can destroy everything. So if he doesn't start playing well early in the season, he could easily happen that he could be traded/bought out as early as November.

Reactions: thebus88

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yes, I was thinking he just finished the second year of the five year deal, but I was wrong.

I just checked ages - Gibson is 9 months older. I think I make the trade.
Surprised to learn Gibson is only 9 months older.. feels like he's been in the league for forever IMO.

Guess it also may be Elvis not coming over for 5 years post draft..

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What are the best players still available?

Tarasenko& Dumba?

Assuming Tarasenko wants Carolina like team is there a player Columbus give a higher aav for a 1 year deal for that player to raise value for next summers cap increase?

A forward trying to increase his value should see the value in playing with a mix of Gaudreau/Laine/Johnson/Fantilli

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
What are the best players still available?

Tarasenko& Dumba?

Assuming Tarasenko wants Carolina like team is there a player Columbus give a higher aav for a 1 year deal for that player to raise value for next summers cap increase?

A forward trying to increase his value should see the value in playing with a mix of Gaudreau/Laine/Johnson/Fantilli
...Toews, Kane, Tatar, Kessel

Wouldn't mind Tatar on a one year deal. The rest of them are probably looking to sign for a contender (not that I'd even want Kessel)

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Wouldn't mind Tatar on a one year deal. The rest of them are probably looking to sign for a contender (not that I'd even want Kessel)
Yeah Toews (likely signs somewhere closer to winning) or Tatr make the most sense

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Yes, I was thinking he just finished the second year of the five year deal, but I was wrong.

I just checked ages - Gibson is 9 months older. I think I make the trade.

I would too. I feel it would take care of the only problem I see this team having. It would make sense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Toews is toast.

I’m thinking more of players who could still produce/add something.

But I guess the market is too weak for that, Columbus is one of the few teams that could py a bit more for one year prove it deal

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Exactly. I'm more concerned about Tarasov and the rest of the depth. Vegas used 5 goalies in the regular season and won a cup. Nobody is riding a single goalie extensively any more with success.

Bob got hot in the playoffs after he basically got 2 weeks off before they playoffs started Oettinger played like a guy worn out when Dallas got deeper into the playoffs. we need more than 1 guy who can perform when needed with a better structure in front of them.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Listen I know Elvis will be on the team - no one else wants him. Too expensive to buy out and just my guess but if you tried to trde him it would be like what we had to get rid of contracts in the Vegas expansion draft.

But we need a better goalie tandem. We need to find a guy who can come in and play 35-45 games. If Elvis can play he can be the 1A, but if he sucks out loud he should be the backup.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Listen I know Elvis will be on the team - no one else wants him. Too expensive to buy out and just my guess but if you tried to trde him it would be like what we had to get rid of contracts in the Vegas expansion draft.

But we need a better goalie tandem. We need to find a guy who can come in and play 35-45 games. If Elvis can play he can be the 1A, but if he sucks out loud he should be the backup.
Well, best case sceenario that would be Tarasov. This time last year everyone thought he could walk on water and was ready to annoint him after playing only a couple of games. He should have spent last season in Cleveland but he was here and he was hurt. He's 24 and now nobody trusts him either. he still has a chance. We need a 3rd level of player depth. I don't trust Greaves being that guy just yet.

However, CBJ fans have a really bad case of "What have you done for me lately?" when it comes to goalies. Once someone strings together 5 solid games, the same people will be like "OMG, he's the one who will take us to the promised land!"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, best case sceenario that would be Tarasov. This time last year everyone thought he could walk on water and was ready to annoint him after playing only a couple of games. He should have spent last season in Cleveland but he was here and he was hurt. He's 24 and now nobody trusts him either. he still has a chance. We need a 3rd level of player depth. I don't trust Greaves being that guy just yet.

However, CBJ fans have a really bad case of "What have you done for me lately?" when it comes to goalies. Once someone strings together 5 solid games, the same people will be like "OMG, he's the one who will take us to the promised land!"
He should be in Cleveland this year. 24? Geez? He’s been terribly mismanaged IMO. Yes he could still be good and prove to be the best option at starter in CBJ, but I don’t like the pair of him and Elvis.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He should be in Cleveland this year. 24? Geez? He’s been terribly mismanaged IMO. Yes he could still be good and prove to be the best option at starter in CBJ, but I don’t like the pair of him and Elvis.
Not disagreeing he should have been in Cleveland last year and probably this year as well but that is the hand we've been dealt with. I'm choosing to look at this season with a clean slate, a new structurally sound goalie coach and some actual defensive structure.

it is on both of them to remain healthy and hopefully have a new offseason training plan to keep the lower body healthy.

Reactions: Monk

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
At this point I still like Tarasov more than Elvis, and now, probably Greaves more than Tarasov.

The people who think it’s “ok” or “acceptable” to just give Elvis another chance, you understand that the success or failure of the entire team rests on his shoulders correct??

Simply letting Elvis “work through things” or “giving him another chance” should not be looked at the same as guys like Roslovic or Peeke. There’s too much at stake.

Not only that, but, some of you continue to downplay the fact that’s he’s just not actually good and continue to blame everything on the defense, Larsen, and Legace. He’s NOT a young goalie. His technique SUCKS, his reactions SUCK, his angles SUCK, his composure SUCKS, his crease control/ positioning SUCKS. He is responsible for what he looks like in net, not the past coaches or the defense.

Reactions: JacketsDavid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad