Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
the VAST MAJORITY were still claiming Korpisalo was barely an NHL goalie
This is like claiming that your promotion of Korpi was the "vast majority" simply because it was loud and persistent. Korpi being "barely NHL level" was never a majority opinion, or even that of a significant minority. Folks had preferences, and usually it was Elvis over Korpi, but that kins of hyperbole was never a commonplace rationale - mostly because it is and always was pure bullshit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
But, another thing I need to seemingly REITERATE for everyone, Elvis wasn’t the only person to play with or be friends with Kivlenieks. Korpisalo played with him going all the way back to his 1st year in the organization, in 2017-18 in Cleveland, when Elvis was still over in Europe. While not knowing just how “close” each guy was with each other, I think it’s ridiculous that only Elvis gets to use the death of Kivlenieks as the reason for his poor play.
Good point. I will add, though, that, per reporting on the incident, Kivi traveled to the gathering at Legace's home with Elvis and his family, and that Korpi was not in attendance. So while I don't dispute the notion that Kivi's passing must have affected anyone and everyone on the team and in the organization, it's also understandable that Elvis bore a particularly heavy burden.

Matiss Kivlenieks was with teammate and close friend Elvis Merzlikins in Michigan for the wedding of the daughter of Columbus Blue Jackets' goaltender coach Manny Legace and a Fourth of July celebration.

Davidson said this has been especially difficult for Merzlikins — who is also Latvian — and his wife Aleksandra.
“They were Kivi's closest friends, and they were with him that night,” Davidson said. “This is a devastating loss for them and for all us, one that will always be with us."

Whether any of this is an excuse or explanation is for whomever to decide. Whether the fact that Legace was also there, and witnessed the incident and shared that particular trauma with Elvis, has anything to do with their professional relationship, is also for whomever to decide.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Good point. I will add, though, that, per reporting on the incident, Kivi traveled to the gathering at Legace's home with Elvis and his family, and that Korpi was not in attendance. So while I don't dispute the notion that Kivi's passing must have affected anyone and everyone on the team and in the organization, it's also understandable that Elvis bore a particularly heavy burden.

Whether any of this is an excuse or explanation is for whomever to decide. Whether the fact that Legace was also there, and witnessed the incident and shared that particular trauma with Elvis, has anything to do with their professional relationship, is also for whomever to decide.
I mean we've all had people important to us die in our lifetimes. How many times have any of us actually witnessed it happen?

I never have and I don't want to. That is a whole different level of experience. Especially if it is unexpected.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is like claiming that your promotion of Korpi was the "vast majority" simply because it was loud and persistent. Korpi being "barely NHL level" was never a majority opinion, or even that of a significant minority. Folks had preferences, and usually it was Elvis over Korpi, but that kins of hyperbole was never a commonplace rationale - mostly because it is and always was pure bullshit.

“Vast majority” is a bit strong, regarding him being an “NHL goalie”. PLENTY said it, even if they won’t admit it. I stand by “majority”, however. “The numbers”!! What did the numbers show 2 years ago?? TERRIBLY ASININE negative stuff was said REGULARLY regarding Korpisalo, Merzlikins in the conversation or not. People still say the CBJ did Korpisalo a favor signing him. Asinine.

And this conspiracy theory nonsense doesn't suit.
What’s “conspiracy theory”!?!!?

Answer the questions. The point is that people think Torts wasn’t the right type of coach and Larsen wasn’t the right type of coach. WHO’S THE RIGHT TYPE!?!

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Answer the questions. The point is that people think Torts wasn’t the right type of coach and Larsen wasn’t the right type of coach. WHO’S THE RIGHT TYPE!?!
on a long enough timeline there is no such thing as 'the right type' – these things aren't static. torts was the right type until he wasn't. larsen had a good first year (relative to expectations) and then year 2 was a disaster.

nhl coaches have a short shelf life for a reason. it's a high-burnout profession. coach effectiveness fluctuates, systems change, the league adapts to prevailing styles… there's no singular type of successful coach. the goal is to get a coach who 1) can design a system that maximizes the roster's ability and 2) is able to implement that system. there are different ways to do both of those things. some ways that work with one group won't work with another.

in other words, you're asking a question that has no answer. in all caps. with a bunch of exclamation points.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Torts was the right type of coach until he wasn't. When the team started going with the youth movement he himself decided he wasn't the right fit and wanted to leave. That is on him for refusing to adapt to younger players.

Larsen tried to be the polar opposite of Torts and not the right coach. By all accounts of what we are reading about Babcock learning to change we had all better hope he is the right coach.

I don't think you understand people and situations can and do change. I really get the feeling you see things in black and white. It either is or it isn't and once it has been decided in your mind it cannot change. you constantly talk down the impact of leadership (coaching) on people and I feel like you've never led anything to understand what it means to be a leader and being adaptable to change.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Citation needed
people forget just how good elvis was when he first came into the league
  • fifth place in vezina voting in his first season
    • granted it was just four votes lol
    • only one player younger than him (jarry) received a vote (one singular third place vote)
    • finished behind hellebuyck, rask, vasilevskiy and markstrom
    • was 9th place in GSAA that year (korpi was 31st)
    • tied for 2nd in shutouts
    • 2nd in sv% among goalies with >30 starts (.923 sv%, only behind rask's .929)
    • same goes for GAA (2.35, behind rask's 2.12)
  • was still very goodin year 2 on a worse team + fewer starts
    • .916 sv% in 28GP/23GS
    • only 9 goalies had higher sv% + more starts
people (rightfully) point out that kivi's death was the following summer, but that also marked the shift away from the goalie-friendly tortorella system + departures of guys like jones + foligno + savard + atkinson and the arrival of guys who were big time defensive liabilities the following season (voracek, bean, boqvist).

the last time elvis had a team in front of him with defensively capable veterans + an experienced and accomplished head coach, he was a top-10 goalie.

this year, he'll have a team in front of him with defensively capable veterans + an experienced and accomplished head coach behind the bench.

it is, at minimum, an environment where he actually can improve. that doesn't mean he will – but we'll be able to figure out how much of the problem has been on him, and how much has been due to what he's been playing behind.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
But, another thing I need to seemingly REITERATE for everyone, Elvis wasn’t the only person to play with or be friends with Kivlenieks. Korpisalo played with him going all the way back to his 1st year in the organization, in 2017-18 in Cleveland, when Elvis was still over in Europe. While not knowing just how “close” each guy was with each other, I think it’s ridiculous that only Elvis gets to use the death of Kivlenieks as the reason for his poor play.
I agree with this.

Dealing with death is different for everyone, but what is the same is life keeps moving at the same pace. If this is still effecting Elvis, hopefully he is getting the help he needs. Not trying to sound cold-hearted, but you have to move on. Moving on doesn't mean forgetting the person, just getting on with it because he is still here and has a family of his own, and a job to be responsible for.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think the Elvis/Manny combo was doomed from July 4, 2021.

Manny might be a fine coach in the right situation but in the same manner as Larsen, he was too much of a player friend who got steamrolled and not enough of a coach pushing them to get better. Especially after that date.

I just think it is part of the whole attitude in the locker room that needed to be removed. I can't blame players too much if a coach lets them get away with it. I'm betting the new faces will see immediate results from those who did get away with it as long as they do their job.
I am not seeing where Legace was being steamrolled. If Elvis wasn't listening, that's on him, the other goalies seemed to be ok. I don't think there was any similarity to Larsen. Lars was doomed when he took the job. He took to much blame for last year.

Reactions: thebus88

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am not seeing where Legace was being steamrolled. If Elvis wasn't listening, that's on him, the other goalies seemed to be ok. I don't think there was any similarity to Larsen. Lars was doomed when he took the job. He took to much blame for last year.
Lars wasn’t blamed for the injury riddled season but the lack of preparation and handling the players. He tried to be too much of a friend.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I think it’s ridiculous that only Elvis gets to use the death of Kivlenieks as the reason for his poor play.
yes, other guys played with him. but he lived with elvis and was going to be the godfather of elvis's first kid. not unfair to say they had a closer bond than most.

on top of that, kivi pretty much died in elvis's arms.

it feels like bad form to debate on a message board how much different players are allowed to grieve their dead friend but like, you cannot possibly ignore those two facts if you're gonna bring it up. suggesting elvis had an identical experience w/r/t kivi's death is a ridiculous thing to say.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Haha, and if any of you want to go back a couple years I PREDICTED their “career numbers” would end up being very similar very soon, while the VAST MAJORITY were still claiming Korpisalo was barely an NHL goalie and Elvis had potential to win end of the year trophy’s in the NHL. Many literally called me crazy, and a slew of other things. Yet, now what??

Now Elvis’ “BAD” seasons are AN EXCUSE for his poor career numbers?? What!?! Does Korpisalo not get this same outlook? And yes, Korpisalo needed hip surgery and was seemingly attempting to play through things for a couple years. That has to be taken into account.

I don't know how you'd feel if a firecracker ripped open your friend's stomach in front of you. Everyone has different character some people can overcome it, others can't.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
people forget just how good elvis was when he first came into the
I appreciate you replying and I agree with most of it, but asking Bus for proof that posters on here (who he's talking about) were claiming he was the second coming of Hasek and that he would rack up Veniza wins. This isn't the first time I've asked him for this proof, he's yet to provide any (I suspect none exist)

As far as Kivi's death goes, there's alot we don't and will probably never know about. You know who does know? Elvis, he was there, WATCHING HIS BEST FRIEND DIE. We don't know the circumstances around exactly how a firework hits him, but Elvis alludes to Kivi stepping in front of it as it was going for Elvis' wife (he says Kivi "saved his best save for last").

Step back for a minute and run that scenario through your head. Can you (general you, not who I'm replying to) see how that would utterly DESTROY and BREAK a person beyond repair?

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Why do you think Torts didn’t want to coach the CBJ anymore, but, would coach the Philadelphia Flyers??

WHY do you think Larsen, or his apparent style of coaching, was brought in after Tortorella??

Anyone feel free to answer….
NHL coaches don't last as long with a team, as the other majors sports do. It's rare, but not uncommon to see coaches last 15 to 20 years in the other big leagues, almost unheard of in the NHL. Cooper Is the longest tenured coach in the NHL currently and he just passed a decade. Torts may have just wanted to move on. Yes he went to another rebuilding project, but sometimes building something new is easier than seeing something you built fall apart and having to build from scratch there again. As for why they hired Larsen, who knows. But the names hired in that same off-season don't fill me with much confidence either.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Neither of us were there. My personal feelings are that a boss/employee relationship gets pretty tricky when he people are BFFs like Elvis and Manny were.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Why do you think Torts didn’t want to coach the CBJ anymore, but, would coach the Philadelphia Flyers??

WHY do you think Larsen, or his apparent style of coaching, was brought in after Tortorella??

Anyone feel free to answer….

I think Torts had his run for many years and it was time for a change for everyone. I’m not sure that there was much more that he could get through to the team and most of his guys on the roster had moved on.

I think Larsen was brought in for precisely what he accomplished. Get us a franchise C.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Neither of us were there. My personal feelings are that a boss/employee relationship gets pretty tricky when he people are BFFs like Elvis and Manny were.
I could see that, but Legace was just his coach, not his employer. He has no say on Elvis' employment with Columbus. I am sure there are a lot of coaches throughout sports where coaches and players are close, or related.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
“Vast majority” is a bit strong, regarding him being an “NHL goalie”. PLENTY said it, even if they won’t admit it. I stand by “majority”, however. “The numbers”!! What did the numbers show 2 years ago?? TERRIBLY ASININE negative stuff was said REGULARLY regarding Korpisalo, Merzlikins in the conversation or not. People still say the CBJ did Korpisalo a favor signing him. Asinine.
So, basically, you're castigating this message board based on unsupported assertions (that you are unwilling to attempt to support) about the opinions of damn near everybody here.

This does not constitute a good faith argument.

What’s “conspiracy theory”!?!!?
The idea you have advanced before that the whole reason Tortorella and Jones left was because of the presence of players you don't like.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Look, the in depth conversation on this subject regarding the accident never ends well. I don’t discount the fact that they were very close and he was right there. I’m not saying he should be “ok”.

What I will continue to say is, I don’t think he was a better or different goalie before or after the accident.

That said, what about all the other “everyday people” who were also there who witnessed this?? Many who probably feel much more “responsible” for what happened along with being there (I’m assuming ) rendering first aid afterwards.

I hate to go into it like this, but, think about those other people there that night, people everyday who are in car accidents and all types of different things, all over the country/world, many have everyday jobs that will never make in a lifetime that Elvis makes in 1 year.

I’m not saying he should be “ok”. But, if he’s not “ok”, he shouldn’t be playing goalie for the CBJ. You have to be extremely composed and be strong mentally to be an NHL goalie. If the death of Kivlenieks is the reason for him being so bad, ok, it doesn’t change the fact. The CBJ organization can’t stop working correctly to wait for Elvis’ mental health.

Many people who have dealt with trauma, at a young age or not, USE ORGANIZED SPORTS as an ESCAPE from the negative aspects of “real life”, like death, and overall stress as a whole. Many people pay hundreds/thousands of dollars a year to play sports, as it’s therapeutic for them.

Elvis is extremely lucky to have the profession he has, and yes, lucky to make the money he makes. The entire reason these guys get paid the amount of money they do is because they have to deal with things, physically and emotionally, that “regular people” can’t or shouldn’t be looked at to deal with.

Sincerely, not a terrible person.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Look, the in depth conversation on this subject regarding the accident never ends well. I don’t discount the fact that they were very close and he was right there. I’m not saying he should be “ok”.

What I will continue to say is, I don’t think he was a better or different goalie before or after the accident.

That said, what about all the other “everyday people” who were also there who witnessed this?? Many who probably feel much more “responsible” for what happened along with being there (I’m assuming ) rendering first aid afterwards.

I hate to go into it like this, but, think about those other people there that night, people everyday who are in car accidents and all types of different things, all over the country/world, many have everyday jobs that will never make in a lifetime that Elvis makes in 1 year.

I’m not saying he should be “ok”. But, if he’s not “ok”, he shouldn’t be playing goalie for the CBJ. You have to be extremely composed and be strong mentally to be an NHL goalie. If the death of Kivlenieks is the reason for him being so bad, ok, it doesn’t change the fact. The CBJ organization can’t stop working correctly to wait for Elvis’ mental health.

Many people who have dealt with trauma, at a young age or not, USE ORGANIZED SPORTS as an ESCAPE from the negative aspects of “real life”, like death, and overall stress as a whole. Many people pay hundreds/thousands of dollars a year to play sports, as it’s therapeutic for them.

Elvis is extremely lucky to have the profession he has, and yes, lucky to make the money he makes. The entire reason these guys get paid the amount of money they do is because they have to deal with things, physically and emotionally, that “regular people” can’t or shouldn’t be looked at to deal with.

Sincerely, not a terrible person.
That there are others who may have experienced the same trauma as Elvis but make less money and are not in the public eye means nothing to Elvis’ performance on the ice.

Your position that the trauma hasn’t changed his game is established and understood. I think it’s reasonable to argue against that, and I have an all continue to do so. Whether Elvis can play better if he clears his head and has a new voice by way of a new position coach remains to be seen.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So, basically, you're castigating this message board based on unsupported assertions (that you are unwilling to attempt to support) about the opinions of damn near everybody here.

This does not constitute a good faith argument.

The idea you have advanced before that the whole reason Tortorella and Jones left was because of the presence of players you don't like.

Look, you can call things “unsupported assertion’s” all you want. The number of fans favoring Elvis and the TERRIBLE things said about Korpisalo for YEARS was ridiculous and laughable. Some may need hindsight, I said it THEN.

Whether the 2 things are “directly” related is another thing, but, it’s not so much that they didn’t like individual certain players, so much so as they probably didn’t like the conversations they had with Jarmo regarding the types of players they were bringing in and building around.

I’m completely convinced that Jones would have re-signed with the CBJ if Jarmo would have went out an spent MINIMAL assets to acquire his brother. That’s why he essentially had a “change of heart” somewhat quickly and informed the team he wouldn’t re-sign, but, would so in a place like CHI who was at a similar stage in building a good team. People talk as if he wouldn’t commit to the CBJ, when I look at it that the CBJ/Jarmo wouldn’t commit to him.

Not only that, do you honestly believe that Jones and Torts, or any other coach and any other star player on another team likes every guy on his team?? Wouldn’t your relationship with your teammates or players impact your feelings on staying with a team?? That’s a “conspiracy theory”?? Do you believe that no player or coach has talked to management about a similar thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad