Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
When my buddies are talking hockey over a few beers we always say the best Free Agent moves are the ones signed in September (or at least later in the summer). The worst are usually on July 1.

In the past off the top of my head the Jackets signed Sam Gagne, Duke and Jan "Big Plus" Hejda late summer. I even think Anson Carter was a decent signing, he didn't do much for the Jackets but they dumped him at the deadline for a pick, no harm no foul.

Another interesting thing for down the road. With so many players signing short deals including a lot of 1 year deals there could be a wild trade deadline with many more players than usual available as rentals. That might cause the deadline to be more of a buyers market than usual. Something to keep an eye on next Feb.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Screenshot_20230702_000133_Samsung Internet.jpg

What do you think of Evan Rodriguez??

He had a good playoffs. I liked him in pits and col . Could be solid vet presence that could third line center and slide to 2nd line if need be?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Seeing what some of the UFA dmen got makes the Provorov and Severson acquisitions seem genius by CBJ. And Elvis’ contract doesn’t seem as bad as before after seeing some of those goalie deals.

The Severson term is bad. Ryan Graves sogned for less cap hit than Provorov for 4 years longer and wouldn't have cost a 1st + 2nd.

Jarmo overpaid.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am assuming Jarmo is working on trying to make a Lindholm deal happen. I am interested in what people think it would take to get Linholm from Calgary. Would Roslovic, Sillinger, 2024 1st & a dman do it? Too much? Not enough ? Interested in people’s thoughts, particularly Majormajor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am assuming Jarmo is working on trying to make a Lindholm deal happen. I am interested in what people think it would take to get Linholm from Calgary. Would Roslovic, Sillinger, 2024 1st & a dman do it? Too much? Not enough ? Interested in people’s thoughts, particularly Majormajor.

I don't have any thoughts. Your trade value seems about right (prospect + 1st + cap dump). But I can't make up my mind whether I want us to put big money in a veteran center or not. It would be a nice upgrade for this year and fully in keeping with a move like the 8 year Severson contract.

Reactions: thebus88

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Off topic, if they made a trade with Calgary, any interest in Vladar? Or too much money for a potential backup and not really a veteran goalie that they are potentially after?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sillinger and a first as the base with add ons. Trade Ros in a separate deal

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
From the Ryan Graves I watched in the playoffs I get the sense that he's already slowed down a lot and I'm very happy it wasn't us giving him that huge deal. The extra 4 years is not a plus, it's a minus.

Provorov is surviving solely on his draft cache. He's worse than Graves.

• Haha
Reactions: Xoggz22

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What do you think of Evan Rodriguez??

He had a good playoffs. I liked him in pits and col . Could be solid vet presence that could third line center and slide to 2nd line if need be?
Like him as a player, but, really not sure he’s the type of guy we need to play center. Similar to what we already have, imo, more offensive minded and I don’t think would work HIGH in the lineup ahead of Jenner, playing with Gaudreau/Laine. More so a winger, imo, as is.

We definitely need to do something with the goalies. Depending on if/whoever we might add still as a free agent or trade, I legitimately wouldn’t be surprised to see Greaves getting NHL games before November.

1 of Fantilli, Texier, Voronkov, easily swap in to fill Roslovic’s spot/role, and I have no real issue with Jenner as a “top 6” center or him getting a large amount of ice time, but, I think, unless Fantilli/Texier come in looking 100% ready and comfortable to play big center minutes, that somebody able to take some workload off of Jenner is needed. It’s gotta be a LEGIT 2 way player. And somebody good enough to play with our best players and against other teams best players.

Crazy that SOME people hold his versatility against Jenner. That he’s the only player to fill certain roles, but, since he’s not ideal for the spot HE needs to be moved or dropped in the lineup??

Not only that, but, he’s literally “playing above his head” in the lineup, because he has to LITERALLY counteract the deficiencies of guys who are perceived as being on a completely different level than him. We’d be better if we had a team BUILT where Jenner could or would be a “top 6 winger”.

Yes, it would be even better if he was on the “3rd line”, the point is HE shouldn’t be “blamed” or be looked at to be moved because of the CBJs lack of players able to do what he does.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Seeing what some of the UFA dmen got makes the Provorov and Severson acquisitions seem genius by CBJ. And Elvis’ contract doesn’t seem as bad as before after seeing some of those goalie deals.

Comparing these things is ridiculous. Elvis might be the worst contract in the league. After the last few years, complaining AT ALL about Jarmo adding 2 legit top 4 defenders is ignorant.

Edit: My tone might be a little heavy, I think I got this confused as being sarcastic. My comments might not be accurate directed at traffic cone, but, to others or in general.

The Severson term is bad. Ryan Graves sogned for less cap hit than Provorov for 4 years longer and wouldn't have cost a 1st + 2nd.

Jarmo overpaid.

Like some are trying to explain to some of you, going all the way to free agency, even regarding Severson, the odds to actually sign these guys are DRASTICALLY lowered. I’m not gonna make any evaluations on either player or their contracts before I watch them enough myself, and they probably aren’t perfect options, but, NOBODY should be complaining AT ALL about Jarmo adding defenseman of their quality after the last few years.

I'll tell you after two other things happen. It will be worth the wait.
Ok, how about just 1 of those 2 separate things and if those things must happen in a certain order…..we CANT wait!!

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Seeing all of these contracts, as is usual, I’m pretty glad we aren’t signing anyone. We already have a crowded forward room and we certainly don’t need to be handing out 4+ year deals to 3rd liners.

Unlike some, it also makes me feel a lot better about Severson’s salary number.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Item No. 3: Market watchers

Kekalainen said the Blue Jackets made a few offers on free agents when the market opened on Saturday, but they were not aggressive shoppers, by any means. The Jackets already have more players than can fit on a 23-man roster, so any signing would require a follow-up move.

The most likely position the Blue Jackets will address is goaltending, specifically a veteran presence who can play mostly for AHL Cleveland but be on alert should the Columbus tandem of Elvis Merzlikins and Daniil Tarasov struggle or fight injuries, as they did last season.

There was a flurry of goalie signings on Saturday, with 14 players changing teams and signing one-way contracts. There are a few recognizable names still available — Martin Jones, Jaroslav Halak, Thomas Greiss and Brian Elliott — but it’s unclear if any of those veterans would accept an AHL job.

Kekalainen may need to make a trade, either this summer or during training camp.

“We’re going to be patient,” Kekalainen said.

Jarmo's (not) in a hurry

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I might throw a one year offer at Marty Jones. Wouldn’t threaten Elvis. Let them both see if a new goalie coach could help them.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
MM, I tend to agree with your skepticism about the Lindholm move. I think the current roster has an outside chance of making the playoffs. But adding Lindholm would make us a strong contender.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad