Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We gave 8 years to a guy that will be 29 when training camp opens.
And?

With the centers we've drafted so far do you want his diminishing skill set clogging up the middle that long or wasting cap space on a future buyout? We don't have a single other defenseman under contract for more than 3 years.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I do not love 8 years for Severson, no.

But unlike RoR, Severson hasn’t shown his age yet. Signing a guy who has shown signs of major regression for anything over 2 years is awful.

Severson might be an albatross contract by age 33 or 34. But if we get 5 good years out of him then I think we’ll be alright

Fair enough on Severson and if we get 5 good years out of him I guess that will be alright...but probably not a bargain.

RoR had a bit of an off year with 30 points in 53 games and was a plus player once he got to Toronto. The year before he had 58 pts in 78 with a plus 11. I don't think that is showing a major regression, although statistics don't always tell the whole story.

Incidently, I have questioned what we have paid for Provorov but I will give him this, he is always healthy and that is worth a lot. I hope I didn't just jinx him:D

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Hey all, Sens fan here- I apologize if this has been discussed or another Sens fan asked.. I’ve jumped on Columbus bandwagon the last few years during the playoffs, so I’ve seen Korpisalo play (love the leafs series!) , what are we getting in Korpisalo? Is this a goalie waiting to breakout?

Again please redirect me if this has been discussed, wishing you all nothing but the best, always rooting for Columbus!

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Fair enough on Severson and if we get 5 good years out of him I guess that will be alright...but probably not a bargain.

RoR had a bit of an off year with 30 points in 53 games and was a plus player once he got to Toronto. The year before he had 58 pts in 78 with a plus 11. I don't think that is showing a major regression, although statistics don't always tell the whole story.

Incidently, I have questioned what we have paid for Provorov but I will give him this, he is always healthy and that is worth a lot. I hope I didn't just jinx him:D
There will always be useful things a guy like RoR can provide. He will probably still be in the NHL in 4 years with that contract. He's too good of a two way player.

But scoring 30-40ish points won't be worth 4.5 million per season.

I think Severson can still be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy as a mid 30s player but obviously we will have to see what happens.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Hey all, Sens fan here- I apologize if this has been discussed or another Sens fan asked.. I’ve jumped on Columbus bandwagon the last few years during the playoffs, so I’ve seen Korpisalo play (love the leafs series!) , what are we getting in Korpisalo? Is this a goalie waiting to breakout?

Again please redirect me if this has been discussed, wishing you all nothing but the best, always rooting for Columbus!
Korpi is very technically sound. Positioning is pretty good. He had some major issues with soft goals sometimes, but the more minutes he played the less this happened. I think he's a guy who thrives as a 1A goalie rather than a 1B or backup.

I do have concerns on a 5 year contract for a guy with double hip surgery and knee surgery, but he's a damn good teammate and he had a great season last year. I think he's a solid starter and should be good for you guys with periods of frustration as well as periods of elite play.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Korpi is very technically sound. Positioning is pretty good. He had some major issues with soft goals sometimes, but the more minutes he played the less this happened. I think he's a guy who thrives as a 1A goalie rather than a 1B or backup.

I do have concerns on a 5 year contract for a guy with double hip surgery and knee surgery, but he's a damn good teammate and he had a great season last year. I think he's a solid starter and should be good for you guys with periods of frustration as well as periods of elite play.
Thank you, sounds like having Forsberg being able to be a 1B sounds like it will help.

I personally don’t hate the deal but I am cautious as the Gerber deal really stung.

You say he’s a great teammate, Ottawa is a super tight team, so this makes me super happy

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
And?

With the centers we've drafted so far do you want his diminishing skill set clogging up the middle that long or wasting cap space on a future buyout? We don't have a single other defenseman under contract for more than 3 years.

I was speaking more in general that specifically about the Jackets. I don't see how people can bash RoR at 32 getting 4 years but think 8 for a guy that's 29 is okay or even good.

In light of Fantilli, Tex, Roslovic, Jenner, Voronkov, Kuraly, Johnson he probably doesn't make sense for us right now.

As for our defenesemen we have Werenski signed for 5 more years at big $. We have Jiricek, Mateychuk, Cuelemans and Svozil warming up in the bullpen. In 5 years when these guys are off their ELC's do you want Severson wasting space on a future buyout?

CBJ press conference about to start
where is it. not finding it on Jackets website

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Booooring free agency for Columbus
I’d much rather it be boring than overpay someone.

I still think we make moves via trades (Roslovic, Peeke/Boqvist). And maybe pick up a veteran goalie when the dust settles

Other than that? We did our moves.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

wdkennedy27

Apr 10, 2023
Any idea on why there is no press conference???

Edit: Just seeing Compher to the Red Wings. Maybe Jarmo was in on him and unable to do the press conference as he was getting close to signing???

Last edited:

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Any idea on why there is no press conference???

Edit: Just seeing Compher to the Red Wings. Maybe Jarmo was in on him and unable to do the press conference as he was getting close to signing???
I saw a tweet that said Jackets had technical difficulties with the presser but a replay will be on YouTube channel later today.

Reactions: wdkennedy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad