Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wish we had 1 more legit top 6 guy or Marchenko comes to camp much improved. I keep thinking Gaudreau-Fantilli end up together at some point but maybe it happens sooner than I expect. I wonder if the top 6 could be more like

Jenner-Johnson-Laine
Gaudreau-Fantilli-Marchenko/Roslovic

That second RW could either been fine or a real hinderance

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bridge deals don't really result in great contracts. They should try to do what Devils did with J. Hughes. Long-term deal before the break out year
Well, Hughes averaged better than a ppg before his blockbuster deal.

I can't see giving KJ 7-8mm based on a .5ppg season. Alternatives are pay him now and pray like hell he's the real deal or he & Jarmo wait on this season and see if he puts up numbers worthy of the big contract.

My proposal is a bit richer than a typical bridge deal but doesn't tie either side up for more than 3 seasons and it retains team control when it is over.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Bridge deals don't really result in great contracts. They should try to do what Devils did with J. Hughes. Long-term deal before the break out year
the only issue with this approach is that it would mean kent hits UFA as a 29-year-old. if they go with a 3-year bridge, then go with an 8-year deal, they'd get him through his age-32 season. no matter what, kent's third contract will end up being at least seven years. if you keep his second one shorter, that third contract doesn't cover decline years.

plus, he's a 10.2(c) RFA next season. he won't be offer sheet eligible. means lower AAV on a bridge deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sure it could be a steal, but giving KJ a long-term contract worth 7+ million after one 40 point season? No thanks. I hope he's the real deal and a Jacket for life. But, I wouldn't open up the coffers for him until we have a much larger sample size.

7M would be fair even if he ends up as only a top6 player.

They should definitely try to go the Devils route, bet on your core players early with longterm contracts, thanks to them they have a massive longterm window ahead and why they’ve been able to add star talent

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
the only issue with this approach is that it would mean kent hits UFA as a 29-year-old. if they go with a 3-year bridge, then go with an 8-year deal, they'd get him through his age-32 season. no matter what, kent's third contract will end up being at least seven years. if you keep his second one shorter, that third contract doesn't cover decline years.

plus, he's a 10.2(c) RFA next season. he won't be offer sheet eligible. means lower AAV on a bridge deal.
The massive unknown variable in all this is what does KJ want? Does he want to make the most money possible in his career? Does he secretly have some location given the opportunity he'd love to go? Does he just want to win? Or does he really like where he's at and is content staying here for his career.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's different to what I was interpreting was being said (and voiced by MM explicitly below). Deciding next off-season (or late upcoming season) with more sample size fits with what I said.

I agree with you on a lot of things but not this. No need to do this at this point. Make the kid earn his big paycheck.

If you make him earn it you are paying 9.5-10 instead of 7.

Bridge would feel like the riskiesg, they are few years away from their window opening and by that time the core players are getting paid.
In 4 years time we could be looking at 11-13M for Johnson if he becomes a legit top line talent

My thought on KJ -give him a 3 yr bridge deal that I believe keeps him in RFA status at the end. Then pay him what he is worth. I'd try for 5-6mm range.

What if you end up having Johnson at 5-6M more expensive when you should start winning?

That starts eating up the depth

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I can't see giving KJ 7-8mm based on a .5ppg season. Alternatives are pay him now and pray like hell he's the real deal or he & Jarmo wait on this season and see if he puts up numbers worthy of the big contract.

My proposal is a bit richer than a typical bridge deal but doesn't tie either side up for more than 3 seasons and it retains team control when it is over.

7.x something is not going to destroy you even if he doesn’t end up reaching his ceiling.
With the way superstars are already getting paid and the cap going up it’s your basic top6 money moving forward for young talent

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Perhaps a hybrid deal-5 years @ $6m AAV. That basically takes him through his peak production years and you go from there.

If he's a top performer at that point pay him market. It's too hard to predict exactly what type of player he will become

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
So basically most guys want to lock up a .5 ppg guy based on fanboy glasses. No thanks. Now if he replicates Hughes point per game plus this season then by all means go 8 and give him a boatload.
If you give him a bridge deal and he becomes a point per game player, then he'll get +10m because the cap will go up and contract values with it. Also you'll be buying more UFA years. This is the kind of safe play which is why Werenski got 9.5m.

Yes giving a big contract for 20 year old 0.5ppg player is risky, but that's the kind of gamble that makes you a contender for a decade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

So basically most guys want to lock up a .5 ppg guy based on fanboy glasses. No thanks. Now if he replicates Hughes point per game plus this season then by all means go 8 and give him a boatload.

Factcheck: Hughes signed his big contract on Nov 30th 2021, after a season where he scored 31 pts in 56 games. I agree, we should take that kind of gamble with KJ!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What’s the risk if they could get Johnson signed longterm at 7M per season?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
What’s the risk if they could get Johnson signed longterm at 7M per season?
The risk is not all young players make it - plenty of players flash and then bust. There is also risk in dollar amount - we complain about Gudbranson/Elvis contracts, but this would likely be millions more AAV so if it doesn’t work out it’s more painful on the cap.

Personally I feel confident enough in KJ that I would offer the long term deal, but it’s certainly not without risk.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

And the wheel continues to turn…

There is absolutely risk in locking up young players too early. Not just busting but complacency, loss of drive. Plus it sets precedent for the next batch of youngsters. For newer fans, there was a time that Howson and CBJ were trying to lock up a core of youngsters of Brassard, Voracek, Mason etc long term early to supplement Nash, Vermette etc for the long run that was undoubtedly about the start - see article above for trip down memory lane. Spoiler - the run didn’t happen until that core was dismantled.

I’m good with opening the vault early for franchise players - Nash and Seth jones were examples. Fantilli may be the next one. Possible for KJ, I guess, if he takes a step forward this year but he’s not there yet.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

And the wheel continues to turn…

There is absolutely risk in locking up young players too early. Not just busting but complacency, loss of drive. Plus it sets precedent for the next batch of youngsters. For newer fans, there was a time that Howson and CBJ were trying to lock up a core of youngsters of Brassard, Voracek, Mason etc long term early to supplement Nash, Vermette etc for the long run that was undoubtedly about the start - see article above for trip down memory lane. Spoiler - the run didn’t happen until that core was dismantled.

I’m good with opening the vault early for franchise players - Nash and Seth jones were examples. Fantilli may be the next one. Possible for KJ, I guess, if he takes a step forward this year but he’s not there yet.

I'm not the least bit worried about motivation and drive for KJ, he's going to max out whatever God gave him, and I don't say that for all of them.

There's always a chance that he gets a concussion or bad shoulder. Brassard and Voracek are good points, they had a lot of ups and downs, but still the 2010 version of a $7m x 8 is probably closer to $5.5m per, and that's a steal on Voracek and not bad on Brassard.

I thought we were upset about playing hardball with RFAs and wanted to yse that as a reason players wanted out because it soured relationships. Now we have a player many of us think is worth the risk and thats not the move either

There's a lot in between hardball and giving out a max term deal.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm not the least bit worried about motivation and drive for KJ, he's going to max out whatever God gave him, and I don't say that for all of them.

There's always a chance that he gets a concussion or bad shoulder. Brassard and Voracek are good points, they had a lot of ups and downs, but still the 2010 version of a $7m x 8 is probably closer to $5.5m per, and that's a steal on Voracek and not bad on Brassard.

There's a lot in between hardball and giving out a max term deal.
Yeah things like effectively putting the player in control. With Johnson I think the options are short bridge or max term. If I were to bet Id say a max term deal saves you $ over time

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The risk is not all young players make it - plenty of players flash and then bust. There is also risk in dollar amount - we complain about Gudbranson/Elvis contracts, but this would likely be millions more AAV so if it doesn’t work out it’s more painful on the cap.

Personally I feel confident enough in KJ that I would offer the long term deal, but it’s certainly not without risk.

So basically you’re saying you’re not comfortable with him atleast ending up as a top6 player?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
And then end up with a Nylander situation. Thats about the worst contract to offer him
There's no guarantee he's going to be as good as Nylander. Signing him to eight years at this point is extremely risky.

If you have to pay him as a UFA after 8 years of proving himself so be it.

Reactions: Jovavic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad