Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
People complain about Roslovic in the bottom six, and I do agree that he is overpaid for what he brings, but there is a lot of value in having scorers in your bottom six. He's often scored at high per minute rates.

I'd consider putting him with Kuraly and one of his wingers. The Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier trio needs help finishing, they were good enough to get the puck out of our zone but they still got badly outscored because they shot at a miserable 5% success rate. I would also like to see a Robinson-Kuraly-Texier reunion but I want Texier's help on all the other lines!
Im not too worried about a 4th line finishing, obviously not their 1st objective as a line. Texier and Roslovic as a pair could be interesting. I wonder if maybe he could play center on that line with Foudy as the 3rd member and have a line that can chip in some offense and play with speed

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
What are your Jackets fans feelings about Roslovic? I dont know if you know this, but at november of 2022, Laine was asked to list his "dream team" which i cant remember, big buff was one of the defenders at least and Gaudreau at the other wing. When asked about a center, he said "well at least no one at Winnipeg, thats for sure" and after thinking a while he went with Roslovic.

Edit: This was a "List a dream team of the players you have played with" type of question.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think it matters a lot. I think not getting outscored matters a lot.
I think as a better team not starting in your own zone and playing a 4th line more like an oldschool shutdown 3rd line will get the goals against down. Accomplishes the same goal from the other end.

Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What are your Jackets fans feelings about Roslovic? I dont know if you know this, but at november of 2022, Laine was asked to list his "dream team" which i cant remember, big buff was one of the defenders at least and Gaudreau at the other wing. When asked about a center, he said "well at least no one at Winnipeg, thats for sure" and after thinking a while he went with Roslovic.

Edit: This was a "List a dream team of the players you have played with" type of question.
He's frustrating. He does all the actions of hockey quite well. He's a great skater, he can take and receive a pass very well, he can win a board battle, he's not terrible at faceoffs, and he works well as part of a unit. But he's just got no hockey sense or anticipation, so plays die with him sometimes or he makes strange boneheaded choices on the ice, and he gives up on plays (possible related, if he can't anticipate what will happen next he seems to quit). Paired with someone who does the thinking for him, like Kent Johnson, he's effective. But when asked to lead his own line? Mess.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

He needs players with excellent hockey IQ, play without the puck. Or speedskaters like him. But he can't be a leader his line. I think the third line player.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland

Yeah remember the same, in the Kimanttia podcast around the Finland games. Laine hasn't played with that many great centers (if we discount some Winnipeg folks) so it was slim pickings... but it did sound like Laine genuinely meant that he's pretty okay with Roslovic and it wasn't a jokey answer. And it does show on the ice, I think we deduced last season that Roslovic and Laine worked ok as a pair. If I remember right Roslovic performed much better with Laine than with anybody else (eye test; I think there was some data to back this up too), and Laine also played reasonably well with Roslovic even if he was also capable of playing with other folks without a drop-off.

At this point I'll join the club of "wait and see" on Roslovic, maybe Babcock and some new linemates get something more out of him and we can trade him at the TDL or next offseason. I don't think it's worth just dumping him, so if there's no hockey trade to be made, then so be it...

Reactions: VT and squashmaple

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Babcock could find more use of Jack. Simplify his tasks and he's a decent winger
he'd be awesome as a winger next to a star center where he'd have enough space to try the dumb stuff he tries sometimes + use his speed to carry the puck into the zone. basically what florida did with duclair: stuck him with two stars and let him be himself, but as a passenger.

if they go out and get a center, i could see him being a second line wing here, pushing marchenko to the third line. but i think the team is better long-term with marchenko getting those minutes anyway.

a texier - sillinger - roslovic third line would be nice, though. having speed on the wings would lighten the load on sillinger a bit.

What are your Jackets fans feelings about Roslovic?
pretty much the same as they were about max domi, anthony duclair and sonny milano: he's enormously talented, but not good.

florida put duclair in a situation where he could actually use his talent, now he's seen as a good player. i think the same could happen with jack, but he'd have to accept 1) being a winger, 2) being a passenger on his line and 3) that he needs to actually try in his own end

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He needs players with excellent hockey IQ, play without the puck. Or speedskaters like him. But he can't be a leader his line. I think the third line player.
he'd be awesome as a winger next to a star center where he'd have enough space to try the dumb stuff he tries sometimes + use his speed to carry the puck into the zone. basically what florida did with duclair: stuck him with two stars and let him be himself, but as a passenger.

if they go out and get a center, i could see him being a second line wing here, pushing marchenko to the third line. but i think the team is better long-term with marchenko getting those minutes anyway.

a texier - sillinger - roslovic third line would be nice, though. having speed on the wings would lighten the load on sillinger a bit.

pretty much the same as they were about max domi, anthony duclair and sonny milano: he's enormously talented, but not good.

florida put duclair in a situation where he could actually use his talent, now he's seen as a good player. i think the same could happen with jack, but he'd have to accept 1) being a winger, 2) being a passenger on his line and 3) that he needs to actually try in his own end

I agree on the Duclair comparison, except with letting him play more than Marchenko. I see a Svechnikov level player at least in Marchenko, he could score 40 in a season in top lines and Jack would not. But for a 3rd line winger, Roslovic would be luxury in many teams that are shallower in depth.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, I'll join in the chorus here - if there's not a lot of demand, might as well see what Babcock can get from Roslovic. If no forward moves out, it's going to be heavy competition for spots in camp, especially with a brand new coach. That's not necessarily a bad thing, could bring an early intensity to the exhibition games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We need another goalie.

A lot of clubs are now going for a 3 goalie set up, you'd think the Jackets should be one of them given the lack of quality with Elvis and Tarasov.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The biggest reason I am apprehensive of trading Roslovic is he is by far the player who has had the most chemistry with Laine since they've been here. Maybe sticking Roslovic on RW and Laine on LW with a defensively responsible center would make them take off together.
And maybe Chinakhov/Voronkov -- Laine -- Roslovic line. Try on the preseason, for example.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And maybe Chinakhov/Voronkov -- Laine -- Roslovic line. Try on the preseason, for example.

I’d for sure wish stronger wingers for Laine if they are trying him at W.

Chinakhov/Voronkov is too green on one side

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
We need another goalie.

A lot of clubs are now going for a 3 goalie set up, you'd think the Jackets should be one of them given the lack of quality with Elvis and Tarasov.

I would be surprised if we don’t get another by camp. I think we’re just waiting for a Halak/Jones/Elliott or whoever is still available to give in to the idea of being a #3. I’m expecting an unheralded signing of a veteran goalie in August.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would be surprised if we don’t get another by camp. I think we’re just waiting for a Halak/Jones/Elliott or whoever is still available to give in to the idea of being a #3. I’m expecting an unheralded signing of a veteran goalie in August.

Halak ought to be insulted at the idea of being a #3 behind two goalies that he's greatly outperformed. We should be adding a goalie not looking for a #3 in particular.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We have a lot of D, which is great, but I'm not sure how it shakes out in Cleveland.

Werenski
Severson
Provorov
Peeke
Boqvist
Gudbranson
Bean

---‐------ 7 in the NHL (possibly 8)

Blankenburg (waiver exempt)
Jiricek
Christiansen
Svozil
Berni
Ceulemans
Bjorgvik-Holm
Bjork
Sweezey
Knazko

Some of these guys might be sitting for a while. Or maybe injuries will kick in.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
People complain about Roslovic in the bottom six, and I do agree that he is overpaid for what he brings, but there is a lot of value in having scorers in your bottom six. He's often scored at high per minute rates.

I'd consider putting him with Kuraly and one of his wingers. The Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier trio needs help finishing, they were good enough to get the puck out of our zone but they still got badly outscored because they shot at a miserable 5% success rate. I would also like to see a Robinson-Kuraly-Texier reunion but I want Texier's help on all the other lines!
Has his 5v5 p/60 been good when playing with bottom 6 players?

I dont have the numbers but my eye test says that he doesnt produce without skilled players around him. I feel like a large part of his points come in ~5 game hot streaks when he's playing in top 6 with Laine or Johnny. Then he goes cold and gets demoted to bottom 6 where he does nothing for 30 games

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The biggest reason I am apprehensive of trading Roslovic is he is by far the player who has had the most chemistry with Laine since they've been here. Maybe sticking Roslovic on RW and Laine on LW with a defensively responsible center would make them take off together.

Laine will be good with anyone and make them better . He should be boosting better players than Roslovic though. I think there's enough value in having Jack in 3rd line, but there's crazy competition for that spot so he'll have to produce

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I feel like Roslovic is going to have a good year to earn another chance and then just go back to the same old Roslovic in the future. That is my fear with him
That’s my concern as well. Babcock gets him going for a while and he looks good. My concern now becomes a fear because if Ros does well, he will want another $4M+ contract and I don’t have confidence he can sustain quality play over an extended period. So if he starts well, I’m trading him for value at the TDL.….”Won’t get fooled again”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Has his 5v5 p/60 been good when playing with bottom 6 players?

I dont have the numbers but my eye test says that he doesnt produce without skilled players around him. I feel like a large part of his points come in ~5 game hot streaks when he's playing in top 6 with Laine or Johnny. Then he goes cold and gets demoted to bottom 6 where he does nothing for 30 games

That's not what it looks like to me. You can see for yourself:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Laine will be good with anyone and make them better . He should be boosting better players than Roslovic though. I think there's enough value in having Jack in 3rd line, but there's crazy competition for that spot so he'll have to produce
I wish that were the case but Laine and Gaudreau were not good together. Laine and Jenner works, but Jenner also works with Gaudreau and he’s more important to get going.

I do think Babs tries Laine and Gaudreau together again but it just didn’t work.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wish that were the case but Laine and Gaudreau were not good together. Laine and Jenner works, but Jenner also works with Gaudreau and he’s more important to get going.

I do think Babs tries Laine and Gaudreau together again but it just didn’t work.

By the numbers Gaudreau scored twice as much per minute with Laine compared to Marchenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad