Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Aside from the obvious players who were fun to watch last year, it's easy to forget that right before Nashville started their insane run, the Flames were nipping at their heels and were really in the race. So that's more than half a season of watching with a chance of playoffs. It's not great, but again... perspective. There are teams who know they're out by the end of November for over half a decade consecutively, and we've never really been treated to that. It's easy to say "being in the bottom 3 would be fun" but until we experience that I'm not entirely sure how true that would be. I think a great deal of us would watch a whole lot less hockey, and that's like putting a hobby on pause for a year or several.

Our "awful" is just that we aren't a dominant team very often (it's been two whole seasons now) and haven't made the Conference Finals in two decades.

Reactions: Lunatik

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
2 completely contradictory statements.

????????? You have to be a troll, that or you are lying and didn't watch a single game last year. The only player that was unlikable was Kadri for the first 9 games of the season. The team didn't win a whole lot but there were absolutely a lot of things enjoyable about last season. Zary and Pospisil were very exciting, same with Wolf when he was called up. Add in Weegar scoring 20 goals, Coleman and Sharangovich each getting 30, and Kuzmenko coming in half way though and reigniting our powerplay. It's your own fault if you can't find enjoyment in the little things.

Sharangovich and Kuzmenko are crap. Pospil is a terrible player and a dirty coward, how is that likable? Weegar is good he is the bright spot I agree there. Zary is ok not really anything to get excited about.

Its because I am not a delusional fool and actually honest that I don't overrate garbage.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Being really desperate for attention on a hockey forum is one way to spend your time I guess.

Pelts again with Backlund and Coleman tonight. Having a hard time seeing how the Flames can get both him and Coronato on the opening night roster, unless Lomberg is fine sitting in the press box for a bit.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nope that isn't true, If you lose every game of the season that is bad there isn't some positive you have to shoe horn in there. That is totally false. Facts are what they are no positive or negative.
See here you go again struggling with the word fact! I’ll try my best here to really slow it down for you, I’ll take a different approach by explaining subjective vs. objective.

If something is objective it’s rooted in data and/or measurable outcomes, meaning it is fact based. Words like “good” or “bad” are subjective, meaning one’s point of view dictates their opinion on it meaning they wouldn’t be facts. For example, I think it’s sad that you have to resort to getting your kicks by going online and trying to rile up strangers. But from your point of view it seems to make you happy, showing it’s subjective and not a fact.

I really hope this helps, English is a tough language to learn.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Shame the Flames are so stuck on Rooney. Waiving him or hell, even just making him the 13th forward would solve the forward issues.

Wonder if Conroy regrets some of his UFA signings. There was no real need for a Mantha or Bean given the depth. It's not great asset management to block a prospects development for a year just to maybe get a mid round pick at the deadline. And he could have always just acquired a LTIR contract to reach the floor if needed.

Ledge And Dairy

Shame the Flames are so stuck on Rooney. Waiving him or hell, even just making him the 13th forward would solve the forward issues.

Wonder if Conroy regrets some of his UFA signings. There was no real need for a Mantha or Bean given the depth. It's not great asset management to block a prospects development for a year just to maybe get a mid round pick at the deadline. And he could have always just acquired a LTIR contract to reach the floor if needed.
No chance they have any regret signing Rooney. He's reliable defensively and can absolutely be sent down or benched if need be. Mantha was brought in in an attempt to surround Huberdeau with more support. If Mantha loses a top 9 job to like Coronato that's completely on him, he was free to sign and someone will definitely take him if and when he's made available. Bean replaced Kylington, if we didn't sign Bean we would have signed Shilly so I wouldn't think about that one too much.

IMO it's good to have this competition at camp. The only player that is maybe truly being blocked right now is Coronato but he will get his looks this year for sure. Players get injured and Kuzmenko will likely be traded at some point too. If Coronato starts in the AHL this year and lights the league up we won't consider blocking him again

Reactions: Lunatik

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Being really desperate for attention on a hockey forum is one way to spend your time I guess.

Pelts again with Backlund and Coleman tonight. Having a hard time seeing how the Flames can get both him and Coronato on the opening night roster, unless Lomberg is fine sitting in the press box for a bit.

How poster thinks his points are coming across:
1727729265640.png

How poster's points are coming across:
1727729440930.png

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I don't think they are too stuck on Rooney, 55 games for the Wranglers + 50 for the Flames + ~40 games lost to injury across 2 seasons (leaving more than a dozen where he's just sat out) means they are fine with sitting him and fine with playing him in the AHL. I think he's a prime candidate to be a 13th or 14th forward and competing with Hunt/Duehr for that spot.

Injuries happen and there are options like sitting Mantha or starting trade negotiations in October if Coronato is now clearly the better player over him or Kuzmenko. While he's probably the odd-man-out game 1 for contract reasons, I don't think Coronato is waiting until December to play for the Flames.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Don’t think asset management is the point you’re trying to make. If you meant developmental reasons maybe it’s not ideal to not have the perfect spot open and waiting for prospects, but none of our guys have quite terrorized the league under them to show they absolutely require the bigger role yet.

Asset management though it makes perfect sense, it cost us no assets to get more while also providing a more offensive environment to raise values. Conroy has already come out and stated he’s going for the Dallas approach to being competitive again. So not exactly ever bottoming out, but swinging for the fences on every pick to try and accumulate difference makers across the draft. His current strategy seems to be maximizing his chances by just collecting picks in the first 3 rounds en masse. We had 6 this previous draft, and before any additional trades we have 5 already in the next 2. If Mantha helps us recoup a 2nd or a 3rd, Conroy probably views it as a win.

Although I think a lot of posters haven’t been following or have been ignoring a lot of what Conroy has been outright stating to the media/fans. He said he loves our group of veterans, and has spoke about other poor teams made the mistake of getting rid of them and are desperately trying to collect them now. He stated the current plan is for Andersson to retire a flame as well. Most notably , he outlined the path for Kuzmenko staying with the team long term and it was a pretty simple one. Keep our powerplay from being atrocious like he did last season, and be fair in contract negotiations. Don’t think we are purging as many players as people hope for around here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad