Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Out:
Markstrom
Hanifin
Lindholm
Tanev
Toffoli
Zadorov

In:
2024 1st Round Pick (VAN - 28)
2025 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected - NJD)
2026 1st Round Pick (Unprotected - VGK)
2024 2nd Round Pick (DAL - 62)
2023 3rd Round Pick (NJD - 80 - Suniev)
2024 3rd Round Pick (VGK - 84)
2026 3rd Round Pick (VAN)
2024 4th Round Pick (NJD - 107)
2024 5th Round Pick (CHI - 131)
Sharangovich
Kuzmenko
Miromanov
Bahl
Brzustewicz
Grushnikov
Jurmo

This is definitely a rebuild no matter how the Flames organization tries to spin it. "Re-tool" my ass
We traded 1G, 3D, and 2F for 9 picks (4 in the first 2 rounds), and 7 players/prospects (8 if you still count Nikita Okhotiuk, who if we qualify we retain the rights on despite playing in Russia). Not a bad haul.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
No reason we can’t be in contention for the 2nd wild card spot with Blues, Preds, Wild, Utah and Kraken. We will add UFAs.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I’m wondering if Conroy is seriously considering offering up Vancouvers pick to Mtl to satisfy the Monny trade. They would have had the option if our pick was 20 or later. Usually teams love picks now rather than later and with it likely being Floridas pick next year Mtl could see the value of taking pick 28 now. Just me pondering it. Lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m wondering if Conroy is seriously considering offering up Vancouvers pick to Mtl to satisfy the Monny trade. They would have had the option if our pick was 20 or later. Usually teams love picks now rather than later and with it likely being Floridas pick next year Mtl could see the value of taking pick 28 now. Just me pondering it. Lol.
Remember that Habs have the Jets first this year as well, so they don't need to get another one. So, they are probably content have 2 each in 2024 and 2025.

Too many in 1 year leads to a logjam down the line, which they are having on D as they figure out who can play and who to keep. Guhle, Harris, Struble, Barron, Hutson, Reinbacher, the X kid, and have 2 vets in Savard and Matheson.

Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Time to go full rebuild.

Utah #6 for Weegar
Ottawa #7 for Rasmus + Mang (50%)

Draft Lindstrom, Iginla/Catton + Silayev/Dickinson/Buuim
Sign Kylington + Edmunson

Huberdeau-Zary-Sharongovich
Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Coleman-Backlund-Coronato
Pelletier-Hunt-Duehr

Kylington-Edmunson
Bahl-Miramanov
Solovyov-Pachal
Hanley

Wolf
Vladar

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
With Wolf in net being a starter, I am confident we will end up bottom 3 in 24/25. That's the right golie for the job in order to pick high next year- good strategy Conny.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
they should but I don't think the Habs will take it straight up. If it was in the 18 to 24 range they might but it truly is a lottery ticket for them right now. I guess if 2 or 3 prospects super high on their list slip to 26 and they end up with a chance to grab 2 of them with 26 and 28 they might.

Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Likely a 40 game tandem with Vladar. Still, a bottom 3 finish is a happy accident.

If he can pull a .900 sv% that's perfectly mediocre.

I think Conroy will pick up a goalie. Perhaps someone waiver exempt with upside. I can't imagine potentially losing someone like Dansk and having no one in the AHL is a good plan.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think Conroy will pick up a goalie. Perhaps someone waiver exempt with upside. I can't imagine potentially losing someone like Dansk and having no one in the AHL is a good plan.
I was wondering this morning about that. Will they be content with 2 unprovens in Ignatiew & Murphy?
I think Dansk might be done, but I could see us pick up another guy around 26 with a couple years AHL experience. I would prefer that goalie to be a throw in in a deal for say Mang, instead of us trading a 3rd.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Having said that Markstrom should be traded, now that he has. I believe that Conroy is gonna have another busy 12 month dealing with roster changes maybe not 6 key players but I just can't picture Kuzmenko, Sharangovich and Mangiapane extending to participate in the retool/build and I feel that Andersson has given the Flames the exact same message that Markstrom did.

What I do think possibly should happen with a Skinner buyout being rumoured., is that is a prime opportunity to weaponize cap space. Skinner might waive because he makes more playing than if bought out, Buffalo gets the full $9M in cap space and Calgary gets Skinner plus a 1st or a grade A prospect like Savoie

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I was wondering this morning about that. Will they be content with 2 unprovens in Ignatiew & Murphy?
I think Dansk might be done, but I could see us pick up another guy around 26 with a couple years AHL experience. I would prefer that goalie to be a throw in in a deal for say Mang, instead of us trading a 3rd.

I think there's two ways to go about it.

1. Acquire a goalie that has experience with a starter workload via a Vladar (maybe+) swap.
A. Someone actually decent (ie: Jarry suggestion on trade boards)
B. Someone who is pure cannon fodder and given the net only when Wolf needs rest and to be sheltered from bad developmental habits (ie: Korpisalo)

2. Acquire a young goalie with serious upside that can start in the AHL (but not waiver exempt). Once called up you do have to worry about losing one. Goalies like this are kinda like Wolf though. I think you'd have to consider losing Vladar to waivers as a possibility if you acquire a guy like this (ie: Silovs, Knight)

3. Acquire an ultra young goalie who is waiver exempt. NHL upside or not, doesn't matter. Wolf and V take all the starts, this goalie is for emergencies only.

4. Acquire a journeyman goalie for the NHL/AHL that no one would basically care about. Call up in emergencies, send back down to AHL.
A. Could potentially lose them. (ie: Pickard, Brossoit, Dansk, other etc.)
B. Reverse UNO. Vladar starts in AHL as conditioning stint or otherwise and has to earn his way back up.

Note: None of the goalies above are the trade targets in mind. I'm just listing them as examples of goalies of that calibre and/or situation.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What I do think possibly should happen with a Skinner buyout being rumoured., is that is a prime opportunity to weaponize cap space. Skinner might waive because he makes more playing than if bought out, Buffalo gets the full $9M in cap space and Calgary gets Skinner plus a 1st or a grade A prospect like Savoie
I'd still like Buffalo to retain some salary.

Reactions: joescores

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Having said that Markstrom should be traded, now that he has. I believe that Conroy is gonna have another busy 12 month dealing with roster changes maybe not 6 key players but I just can't picture Kuzmenko, Sharangovich and Mangiapane extending to participate in the retool/build and I feel that Andersson has given the Flames the exact same message that Markstrom did.

This is why I've been saying that I think this is a strip down of the roster which I think will continue, but I think we're going to see some retool type moves (ie: Picks for Hamilton or Roster players for RFA) type moves that the org has been successful with in the past.

This is why I hesitate to call it a proper rebuild at this point until I see us draft a majority of these picks. I think there is a higher chance to "rebuild" via retool and we will be back in contention by next season if not this season. This perhaps also to do Backlund a solid. But this minor difference likely means that trade requests don't exist for certain guys. They're willing to work with a season or two development and then getting back into the playoffs.

Keep an eye out on RFA and guys like Wright, Dach, Byfield, Krebs, Knight etc. No one is off the table if Conroy is inquiring about guys that potentially have 1C and 1D ceilings (ie: Coronato, and top 10 draft picks). Obviously certain guys are not available, but if someone is inexplicably available, like I said, there is no names or picks that cannot be inquired about.

I'm cool of a true rebuild or rebuild via retool, but either way, but it does kinda suck not knowing who will still be around in 3 seasons.

Swapping our strong pieces to try and access stuff that normally isn't available from Buffalo for a Skinner buyout is something I'd like Conroy to explore if it's on the table. Savoie is nice, but if we could aim at an even higher piece, I'd like to see that. Otherwise, I'd rather we keep the quick return to contention on the table.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Random wild thought. Feel free to flame me, I haven’t considered this deeply. And you’re flames fans. So you’re entitled to flame. lol.

To CGY
6th Overall
‘25 NYR 2nd
‘26 NYR 2nd

To UTA
Andersson
28th Overall

If Andersson has said he doesn't want to stay long term/re-up when it's time, yeah I think we'd have to consider it pretty heavily.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Random wild thought. Feel free to flame me, I haven’t considered this deeply. And you’re flames fans. So you’re entitled to flame. lol.

To CGY
6th Overall
‘25 NYR 2nd
‘26 NYR 2nd

To UTA
Andersson
28th Overall

Random, but somehow after seeing UTA, I'm constantly thinking of the word "song". Uta means song in Japanese.

IF Andersson wants out. Sure. I agree with @Flames Fanatic. I think the concept is very close to ideal/finalizing.

If he doesn't want out, then I think it's no discussion even if Utah adds. IMO Andersson may be the next captain after Backlund.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I think they'd actually be alright with Murphy and Ignatjew holding it down for the Wranglers. Murphy was quite good last year for them and Ignatjew has started a ton of games in the Allsvenskan. They're both in their mid 20s.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I think they'd actually be alright with Murphy and Ignatjew holding it down for the Wranglers. Murphy was quite good last year for them and Ignatjew has started a ton of games in the Allsvenskan. They're both in their mid 20s.

This concept is fine in the event of no injuries. But if Wolf/Vladar have an injury or need a sick day... it might get hokey really fast.

That being said, if we are hoping to rebuild. I'm cool with acquiring no one and just offering cups of coffee in between attempts at waiver wire pick ups when things goes sideways. It'd help with a higher pick.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
What are you going on about? Skinner's probably going to gain money by being bought out.

He's get 2/3 of the 22m he's owed in a buyout, plus whatever his new contract is. If his new deal pays anything more than 7.333m over the next 3 years, he's going to make more. Since he has 91 goals and 192 points over the last 3 years with last year being the low of 24 goals and 46 points. He's still going to get a 3x3 deal or something and gain a couple million.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Imo it makes a ton of sense to target one of Korpisalo or Merzlinkins or Cal Petersesn to replace Vladar. We can likely get a good pick for taking on one of their bad contracts and can give them playing time to help take the pressure off Wolf.

Something like:
Korpisalo (4x4 remaming) and 2024 1st (BOS - 25th overall) for Vlad + pick

Petersen+2nd for future considerations

Merzlinkins+Texier/Sillinger for Vlad+pick

That way we get a good asset and can ease the load on Wolf, but also don’t have to feel bad if Wolf becomes thr starter and we can pay a bit extra for a solid vet backup

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

To CGY
6th Overall
‘25 NYR 2nd
‘26 NYR 2nd

To UTA
Andersson
28th Overall
Random question, but are you sticking with your team through the move? Also sorry you lost the Yotes, you've been one of their good fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad