Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Oh I know about the offer sheet, but 2 seasons later when the Flames were in the playoff hunt, and the Avs weren't, I think I've seen on TV that the announcers mentioned how the Flames were still interested in O'Reilly, but the Avs wanted like Brodie and something more for O'Reilly. I just can't find any articles talking about that, so I'm like are those announcers just talking out of their ass, or what?
I'm leaning towards ass, but seeing what Buffalo gave for ROR it's possible that Brodie was part of Colorado's ask, and the Flames rightfully said no.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
ARE FLAMES VETERANS UNHAPPY WITH REBUILD?

Two years removed from the most exciting playoff run since 2015, the Calgary Flames are simply not as competitive as they once were. In a top-heavy division squaring off against the Oilers, Vegas Golden Knights and resurgent Vancouver Canucks, the Flames haven't been able to replicate the success of the 2021-22 campaign.

Having lost their general manager Brad Treliving to the Toronto Maple Leafs and with coach Darryl Sutter no longer in the picture, the team is heading in a new direction, though how long it will take to arrive at their destination is unclear.

"(GM) Craig Conroy clearly has a plan. His plan is to start turning over his team a little bit," Friedman said. "I don't think he wanted to completely tear it down. I think we can all see where the Flames are going — they are in a rebuild — but he didn't want to do it to where the young players starting up would get completely destroyed on the ice."

Despite losing a fair amount of players last season, the Flames still have veterans on their roster, including the likes of Nazem Kadri, Mikael Backlund, Jonathan Huberdeau and Rasmus Andersson.

The problem going forward with the veterans on their squad, Friedman believes, may be a lack of enthuisasm to be part of a rebuild.

"I think there are some players who are still there who have said, 'Look, if this is a complete tear-down, I'd like for you to think about something else,'" he said. "(Conroy's) plan is to start the year, see how it goes, and then decide what he's going to do with some of these players. He's asked these players to keep an open mind, see how this year goes, and then he'll start looking at what he might need to do, or what they want to do."

Friedman also believes that given the noise of last summer — including a public trade request from Nikita Zadorov and the then-pending free agencies of Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin, and Chris Tanev — Conroy would rather keep these discussions private and avoid the spectacle that was the beginning of last season.

"I think Conroy has decided, 'I like the calm, I like the quiet, I don't want the craziness of the last couple years. I just want a more stable situation,' and that's what he's asking for at the beginning of the year," Friedman said.

Based on nothing I'd guess the players asking out are Andersson and Coleman. Maybe Kadri.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

Based on nothing I'd guess the players asking out are Andersson and Coleman. Maybe Kadri.
Based on his use of "I think" by Friedman, no one has asked for anything and he's guessing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's now in Sept 6 2024.
Time to start a new thread called Armchair GM 2024-25 Season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad