Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I just noticed this when I was looking up a player on another thread. Calgary will need to make the most important signing in its history next summer.

We have to bring Taylor Hall home at all costs. Guarantees the McKenna pick.
but did his luck streak end its gotta run out sometime doesn't it? The Hawks didn't win 1OA this season.
Or is he due because for the last 5 season's he is 0 for 5 (even though for 4 of them he was in the playoffs) as opposed to his Oiler (3 for 6) and Devils (2 for 4) average of 50%

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I just noticed this when I was looking up a player on another thread. Calgary will need to make the most important signing in its history next summer.

Screw that. Considering trading for him is a valid approach too. It guarantees nothing. It just increases the chance. The 1OA isn't guaranteed, so I'd want him around for a bit longer than just one season.

but did his luck streak end its gotta run out sometime doesn't it? The Hawks didn't win 1OA this season.
Or is he due because for the last 5 season's he is 0 for 5 (even though for 4 of them he was in the playoffs) as opposed to his Oiler (3 for 6) and Devils (2 for 4) average of 50%

It has never happened every year he was on a team. Just inexplicably more often than expected when he was on that team. Chicago seemed to win Connor Bedard just purely because they were intending on acquiring him from the get go (Boston seemingly wanted to retain him for the playoffs). That's why I'd like to have him for around 2-3 seasons to maximize the luck. IIRC, teams usually won the lottery in those first 3-4 years when they had him (Edmonton and NJD). Buffalo (Power) and Chicago (Bedard) won when they intended to get him. The only teams that didn't with him seemed to be Boston (never statistically in the lottery; picks at 21, 22 and 28OA at the time) and Arizona (wildcard calibre performances at the time so also basically not possible to win; picks at 14 and 18OA at those times).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Double-whammy, sign him to a one year deal and send him to a contender at the deadline.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I like how we set ourselves up for a whole season where we have to suck or lose our draft pick... "SFS" Suck Flames Suck.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think that kind of move highlighted Conroy's relative inexperience. The pro scouts clearly liked the player and his tools, but a more extensive background check was needed. This is a player who had been showing signs of being unhappy for three years - and I don't think it would have been all that difficult to find out that type of information with how tight knit the NHL is.

You can certainly live with those types of "mistakes" though as it all apart of learning on the job and the cost was minimal anyways. You can't win em' all.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think that kind of move highlighted Conroy's relative inexperience. The pro scouts clearly liked the player and his tools, but a more extensive background check was needed. This is a player who had been showing signs of being unhappy for three years - and I don't think it would have been all that difficult to find out that type of information with how tight knit the NHL is.

You can certainly live with those types of "mistakes" though as it all apart of learning on the job and the cost was minimal anyways. You can't win em' all.
Don’t think that’s quite fair. We don’t know if Connie knew (or didn’t) that this player wanted to head back home. Perhaps he was simply taking a flyer on a guy in the hopes that he would change his mind.

Normally I’m not a fan of pissing away mid round picks, but so far Connie has more than compensated.

Reactions: Dack and Fig

Fig

Dec 15, 2014

Or he knew and he still thought he'd do a hail Mary to see if he could get him to change his mind before he left, or even after he has left for a few years. If he wanted to leave for 3 years while property of the Devils, it basically meant he was feeling really home sick within a year or two of being drafted. He's still a player that was drafted in the second round.

IIRC he was kinda tight with Rango? Okhotiuk might still return. He's also a defensive dman. Those guys take a bit of time to develop. He was probably worried about the impending logjam and other guys who played similarly to him. All of that perhaps tipped him over for his home sickness and he went home. Luckily we still get to keep his rights for a long time, so it's not like a total write off. If intentional, I think I get the logic.

We still have guys like Grushnikov and Kuznetsov who are similar to him. But maybe we can do more to make the Russians feel at home and Okhotiuk may change his mind and return. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: Dack and super6646

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Don’t think that’s quite fair. We don’t know if Connie knew (or didn’t) that this player wanted to head back home. Perhaps he was simply taking a flyer on a guy in the hopes that he would change his mind.

Normally I’m not a fan of pissing away mid round picks, but so far Connie has more than compensated.

I don't know. There also appeared to be a direct disconnect between Conroy and Huska on this specific player. It just seems like a move that materialized quickly and probably didn't have the most thought behind it especially in contrast to his other moves. If you wanted to convince him to stay you certainly don't utilize him in the way that we did down the stretch with nothing on the line.

At the end of the day a 5th is a 5th, and the likely hood of that pick ever reaching 9 NHL games is minimal at best, so it's not a big deal at all, but it's probably likely that Conroy would approach it differently in some respects moving forward.

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
I don't know. There also appeared to be a direct disconnect between Conroy and Huska on this specific player. It just seems like a move that materialized quickly and probably didn't have the most thought behind it especially in contrast to his other moves. If you wanted to convince him to stay you certainly don't utilize him in the way that we did down the stretch with nothing on the line.

At the end of the day a 5th is a 5th, and the likely hood of that pick ever reaching 9 NHL games is minimal at best, so it's not a big deal at all, but it's probably likely that Conroy would approach it differently in some respects moving forward.

I wonder if there was a plan to acquire an extra LD the whole time. Looking at Conroy's trades, I wonder if Okhotiuk would not have been acquired if the Markstrom trade was completed at the TDL instead of the off season (ie: Bahl).

I'm only saying that Okhotiuk seems out of place, but I think there's some logic that must be there that Conroy always wanted more dmen if we acquired another LD only around 3 months after Okhotiuk. But I don't know for sure what that plan is or if you're correct and it was just haphazard acquisition of players.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Not related to current Flames, but back in 2014-2015, didn't the Flames have interest in O'Reilly, but the Avs wanted like what Brodie and 1st rounder for him or something?
Feaster botched the offer sheet for him because we would've had to run him through waivers and foresurely lost him plus the draft picks for the offer sheet.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Feaster botched the offer sheet for him because we would've had to run him through waivers and foresurely lost him plus the draft picks for the offer sheet.
Whether the league would've sat by and let that happen is something we can debate until the end of time. It certainly wasn't the spirit of the rule, and O'Reilly himself needing to report to the worst team in the league would've turned into a huge controversy and would've been fought for sure.

I'm betting that if it came down to it, the league would've made an exception due to the lockout creating a situation unforeseen by the rule.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wonder if there was a plan to acquire an extra LD the whole time. Looking at Conroy's trades, I wonder if Okhotiuk would not have been acquired if the Markstrom trade was completed at the TDL instead of the off season (ie: Bahl).

I'm only saying that Okhotiuk seems out of place, but I think there's some logic that must be there that Conroy always wanted more dmen if we acquired another LD only around 3 months after Okhotiuk. But I don't know for sure what that plan is or if you're correct and it was just haphazard acquisition of players.

This or simply a throw away trade to pacify the owners.

"Yes we moved Hanifin but look, I got us another LHD so we can keep pushing for playoffs!"

• Haha
Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Maybe he knew, but was taking a gamble on the fact that Calgary has a lot of Russian and other East European players. That could kind of help recreate the sense of community he was missing. Obviously it didn't work, but the logic of that is sound.

Reactions: Fig

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Oh I know about the offer sheet, but 2 seasons later when the Flames were in the playoff hunt, and the Avs weren't, I think I've seen on TV that the announcers mentioned how the Flames were still interested in O'Reilly, but the Avs wanted like Brodie and something more for O'Reilly. I just can't find any articles talking about that, so I'm like are those announcers just talking out of their ass, or what?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Oh I know about the offer sheet, but 2 seasons later when the Flames were in the playoff hunt, and the Avs weren't, I think I've seen on TV that the announcers mentioned how the Flames were still interested in O'Reilly, but the Avs wanted like Brodie and something more for O'Reilly. I just can't find any articles talking about that, so I'm like are those announcers just talking out of their ass, or what?
lol, probably true, Flames want a #1 center but won’t trade defencemen for one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00