Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
A name I keep thinking of... Spencer Knight. I actually like the idea of him slowly taking the time he needs to return. I think we still need a stop gap goalie, but I'd also hope we learned how to handle a guy like Knight through experience with parsons.
Knight seems redundant with Wolf coming into the picture. They're pretty close in age.

Also, I think the Panthers may want to keep Knight and have him as the backup next season, and eventually the starter. Bob is 36 and we know players at that age can decline fast.

Stolarz might be a good stop gap goalie though. He hasn't ever had a starter role at the NHL level, but he led the league in sv% this year and was 9th in 2021-22 with a combined sample size of 55 goals. Could split games with Wolf?

Reactions: Fig

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
When did we resign Duehr? I thought he was a UFA, but Capfriendly shows he's signed for next year.
We for sure need to get rid of a couple bodies....

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Knight seems redundant with Wolf coming into the picture. They're pretty close in age.

Also, I think the Panthers may want to keep Knight and have him as the backup next season, and eventually the starter. Bob is 36 and we know players at that age can decline fast.

Stolarz might be a good stop gap goalie though. He hasn't ever had a starter role at the NHL level, but he led the league in sv% this year and was 9th in 2021-22 with a combined sample size of 55 goals. Could split games with Wolf?

I was thinking of a long term platoon and wondered if the Panthers might want someone more "stable" for the long term. But if Panthers aren't interested in moving him, that's valid too.

Reactions: Felidae

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was thinking of a long term platoon and wondered if the Panthers might want someone more "stable" for the long term. But if Panthers aren't interested in moving him, that's valid too.
Vladar for Knight. They bury Vladar and have the money to sign Reinhart

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Vladar for Knight. They bury Vladar and have the money to sign Reinhart

I assume we have to add, even if we're technically helping them clear around 3 mil in cap or even if it's cap neutral (Knight cap hit 4.5 AAV). I don't know why they'd want Vladar if they have Stolarz.

I agree they may want a back up calibre goalie prospect for the AHL in case of emergencies, but other than the cap issues and the off ice OCD stuff he's dealing with, that is exactly what they have in Knight.

The reason I'm poking around at this idea is that Panthers need someone now and ready to go for at least next 2-3 years. We can wait the 2-3. Can we offer a roster asset, cap space or futures to help them meet that goal while also meeting ours.

@Felidae already said the Panthers likely want to keep Knight but wondered why we might do two young guys (which I think because IMO we can be patient in hoping they can grow to be a long term platoon).

But if we combine ideas such as cap space and whether Knight is actually ready to return to full time NHL duties or not... then maybe there's a small gap where we could inquire and mutually benefit.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I assume we have to add, even if we're technically helping them clear around 3 mil in cap or even if it's cap neutral (Knight cap hit 4.5 AAV). I don't know why they'd want Vladar if they have Stolarz.

I agree they may want a back up calibre goalie prospect for the AHL in case of emergencies, but other than the cap issues and the off ice OCD stuff he's dealing with, that is exactly what they have in Knight.

The reason I'm poking around at this idea is that Panthers need someone now and ready to go for at least next 2-3 years. We can wait the 2-3. Can we offer a roster asset, cap space or futures to help them meet that goal while also meeting ours.

@Felidae already said the Panthers likely want to keep Knight but wondered why we might do two young guys (which I think because IMO we can be patient in hoping they can grow to be a long term platoon).

But if we combine ideas such as cap space and whether Knight is actually ready to return to full time NHL duties or not... then maybe there's a small gap where we could inquire and mutually benefit.
I wasn't actually serious about the offer. But I do think they want to move on from Knight, he's name has been in the rumors for a while and they need to dump salary. They have 19.5m in space, but only have 14 players under contract and if they intend to keep Rhino and Montour, that's going to eat up at least 3/4 of that space.

Also Stolarz is a UFA now. He may look to cash in elsewhere. He's probably looking at Vladar money.

Honestly, I don't even know what we could offer for Knight.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wasn't actually serious about the offer. But I do think they want to move on from Knight, he's name has been in the rumors for a while and they need to dump salary. They have 19.5m in space, but only have 14 players under contract and if they intend to keep Rhino and Montour, that's going to eat up at least 3/4 of that space.

Also Stolarz is a UFA now. He may look to cash in elsewhere. He's probably looking at Vladar money.

Honestly, I don't even know what we could offer for Knight.

I think if we offer Vladar, he's the backup (vs buried) and perhaps the Panthers would have to look elsewhere for someone passable in the AHL for their needs because we are unable to offer that. Otherwise, I think the Panthers are looking to do Knight full time, Knight on occasion or moving Knight to solidify other key roster players. Most of the options are Panthers keeping Knight. Then there's the less likely but not impossible scenario where they explore moving him.

I was thinking maybe around a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder equivalent of assets for Knight straight up. A portion of that value which is helping the Panthers to clear cap space. The 4.5 mil AAV hurts his value, but if he was ELC, with the question marks of him having a long term NHL career, he's still worth around a late first or early second. He's basically on the cusp of the idea of a full time NHLer or a reclamation project.

It's more wish list from me after wondering if he could shake free depending how aggressive Zito decides to be in aiming to win back to back or multiple cup dynasty ASAP. Knight played some reg season games last year, but no playoff games. This year he played pure AHL and no regular season or playoff games again. If this trend continues, Zito has contention hopes for 2024-2025 and there's concerns Knight's play may not be where they need it to be at the NHL level for this period... then this is why I wonder if he could shake free. But that's a lot of ifs, but IMO not a lot of unreasonable ifs.

We're projected to go into 2024-2025 with a Vladar - Wolf tandem. TBH, I don't think a Knight-Wolf tandem is any worse than that, but more upside. This idea also helps to potentially give Wolf more of the lion's share of the starts without giving up too much development time to ease Knight in (which he may need). But it also does come with a risk that the tandem is too young and needs a better option to insulate them to avoid stunting their development.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think management reads these forums at times. If they're stuck on two similar guys, they'll go on here to see if there's a mention of players for breaking that tie.

That's why management was* so incompetent.

*Conroy is THE MAN, he will lead us to the promise land.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This team seems to be hanging on to a thread that is keeping them from being forced into a tear down rebuild (ala San Jose) versus maintaining some sense of competitiveness. Can they convince:
Sharangovich and Kuzmenko to extend
Kylington to sign
Andersson to commit
Weegar, Coleman, Kadri to be patient

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
To me, lots of the appeal to moving Mangiapane was having top 9 spots open for all of Zary, Pospisil, and Coronato.

With the rumour of Debrusk looking quite true, (which I don’t think makes sense, but anyways) that bumps one of them down to the 4th. Logic would say it’s Pospisil because he’s got that style, but his performance last year warrants a bigger role than that, and Coronato is not a 4th line player and should not be there.

Makes me wonder a bit about a Coleman or Sharangovich deal. Not that I want either of them gone, but it’s crazy to think we’d have Pelletier/Coronato centered by Rooney on the 4th line in the case Debrusk signs. Especially after Bennett being put in a role with less talented players and flourishing elsewhere. Both are “sell high” options.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fourth Period saying Flames might be exploring a Kadri trade.

Which means we could not be exploring a Kadri trade, maybe we are, because I don’t think they’re even been accurate lol.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fourth Period saying Flames might be exploring a Kadri trade.

Which means we could not be exploring a Kadri trade, maybe we are, because I don’t think they’re even been accurate lol

Last season he was considered cap dump like Marky. If he's got a bit of value now, you listen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know I'm a broken record but target Wright and see if we can shake him free. We need a top 6 C prospect badly and although he might not be as sexy as other C prospects and is potentially projecting as a winger/2C, he'd be our top C prospect by far. Even as a winger, we don't have RHS top 6 options of Wright's calibre.

Seattle sitting on Beniers and Wright and now draft Catton. As much as it might be nice to have that as a long term 1, 2, 3, I wonder if Seattle wants to swap their excess for something else they need or want.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know I'm a broken record but target Wright and see if we can shake him free. We need a top 6 C prospect badly and although he might not be as sexy as other C prospects and is potentially projecting as a winger/2C, he'd be our top C prospect by far. Even as a winger, we don't have RHS top 6 options of Wright's calibre.

Seattle sitting on Beniers and Wright and now draft Catton. As much as it might be nice to have that as a long term 1, 2, 3, I wonder if Seattle wants to swap their excess for something else they need or want.
Seattle is #2 in Vegas odds to land Kadri... Wright, #40 and #105 (I really only want this to have 3 picks in a row :laugh:) for Naz?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I personally don’t think Kadri’s contract is as bad as some, but it’s going to be an anchor by time this team is ready to compete.

Strike while the irons hot, deal him and Coleman, there’ll still be plenty of leadership leftover.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We’re heading for another lockout. Tanev has 3 years max left in this league with his playstyle
Everytime a CBA expires a lockout is looming, but contracts like this aren't why. Owners won't want to be punished against the cap for injuries, and players have no reason to object to contracts like this.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I personally don’t think Kadri’s contract is as bad as some, but it’s going to be an anchor by time this team is ready to compete.

Strike while the irons hot, deal him and Coleman, there’ll still be plenty of leadership leftover.

No it won't. By the time the Flames are ready to compete (2-4 years from now) the cap will be over $100 mil.

Hypothetically we draft Hagens and McKenna in the next two drafts and both make the leap to the NHL the next season after their draft and they both pop for $13 mil contracts after their ELC's are done. Kadri will have 1 year left when Hagens contract would kick in and Kadri would be UFA when McKenna's would kick in.

Kadri isn't even overpaid now let alone when the cap goes up another 10+ mil for the next few years. Huberdeau is another story since he's signed longer and for even more.

You trade Kadri because he makes the Flames better and we don't need to be better right now plus we can get assets for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad