Proposal: Arizona offersheet Kucherov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
To be fair, a top prospect was attached to Datsyuk. Chychrun was the incentive to take the dead cap.

I like Fillpula, I'm just honestly not sure what value he has with that contract. Not seeing the incentive to take him at full price.

They did swap picks though. It's not like Detroit sent the #16 outright. It was #16 for #20 and #53, which in an of itself isn't all that unheard of. Chychrun is the best prospect in the deal, but before it happened people were acting like Detroit was going to have to offer Mantha or Svechnikov just to get sombody to pick up the phone.

It only ever takes one team in 29 to be willing to take on a bad contract.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1 year $7.5M is an interesting idea - not enough compensation, but pushes the qualifying offer for Tampa high without giving them the security of term (essentially pushing up the baseline for future negotiations). Tampa obviously accepts, but it hurts them for sure.

The only way they let him walk is if they receive the full 4 1st round picks.

No team is getting him without giving up their future first rounds. So, a GM has to be willing to offer a deal that's just outside the ballpark of 4 1st round picks, to screwing Yzerman/Tampa with matching, or be willing to set aside enough cap and be prepared to lose 4 first round picks.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
1 year $7.5M is an interesting idea - not enough compensation, but pushes the qualifying offer for Tampa high without giving them the security of term (essentially pushing up the baseline for future negotiations). Tampa obviously accepts, but it hurts them for sure.

It also doesn't give Kucherov the security of term either. Remember, he has to be willing to sign the offer sheet in the first place.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not like Filppula is a bad player. It's also not like his contract is a terrible one. He has 2 years left at 5 mil a season. Only reason TB wants to get rid of it is because we other players that we need to sign. Filppula still has value. Capable 2nd center who can play the shut down role well and can also provide veteran leadership to a young team. I think Edmonton would be a good fit as he can play 3rd line center for them and provide great leadership to them. Probably wouldn't have to give up much. But I think he would improve their team in a great way.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's not like Filppula is a bad player. It's also not like his contract is a terrible one. He has 2 years left at 5 mil a season. Only reason TB wants to get rid of it is because we other players that we need to sign. Filppula still has value. Capable 2nd center who can play the shut down role well and can also provide veteran leadership to a young team. I think Edmonton would be a good fit as he can play 3rd line center for them and provide great leadership to them. Probably wouldn't have to give up much. But I think he would improve their team in a great way.

Filppula has a NMC, which makes him worth less than nothing with the impending expansion draft.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think AZ would be better off offer sheeting Trouba, Lindholm, or Ristolainen. You know, someone who fills a need for them.

Arizona would be better off not offer sheeting anyone.

To get any of those three players to sign the offer sheet, you'd need to give those players term and salary, meaning Arizona likely gives up the four 1st round picks as compensation. I'm not sure if you've seen Arizona's team lately, but I wouldn't be betting on them making the playoffs just yet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Never offersheet unless you are a legit contender, you have to overpay to stop someone from matching and you risk giving up very high-picks. Its playing with fire. The only time to offersheet is if you are a consistent playoff team, and are willing to overpay for that one last piece.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Never offersheet unless you are a legit contender, you have to overpay to stop someone from matching and you risk giving up very high-picks. Its playing with fire. The only time to offersheet is if you are a consistent playoff team, and are willing to overpay for that one last piece.

First post in this thread to make sense

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

I would always offersheet, especially in the division, just not for much compensation.
For Arizona who could have high draft picks the next few years and enough cap room I would offersheet till 1.3M without any compensation. This would hurt other teams too if they have to match 1.3M instead of signing them for maybe 800k.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
True, Would be a waste for Arizona to surrender their draft picks for Kucherov. Those 2 relatively high #1 and the 2nd and 3rd rest would yield two or even three really good players. Kuch was a 2nd. Besisde, when I watched Arizona I saw a young fast team that needed some more defensive talent. Arizona would be wiser to stockpile picks ala Toronto and aim for playoffs in a few years

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kucherov would never sign an offer sheet from Arizona, Tampa is much closer to winning a cup then Arizona will ever be right now. And besides Yzerman would pretty much match any offer sheet that Chayka threw his way. Kucherov is Tampa's Taransenko no way doesn't Yzerman not get him signed he's way to important to the club he's definitely their best forward.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I'd trade Kunitz for him.

Not sure why Pit does this.

Doesn't free up much for TB, but it does shave a year on the contract and it's for less money. I'd do it.

More points last season and double the goal production for less money and less length.

Again, no clue with Pit does this. I do think that Filppula could post better numbers than Kunitz depending upon his role and linemates, so maybe that's a reason.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Arizona offer sheeting a player...cant say that would ever happen .Offer sheets just dont work ,and cause needless headaches.There are 31 GM,s in which you need to maintain a relationship with ,OS a stud away from another team gives you 1 less option to make future deals with .Not worth the trouble:nod:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
37,552,319.99$ is the Max. amount that a team can pay to avoid giving up 4-1st

my question is... does ARI, really take the chance to have a Kessel fiasco part 2 all over again...?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not sure why Pit does this.

Doesn't free up much for TB, but it does shave a year on the contract and it's for less money. I'd do it.

More points last season and double the goal production for less money and less length.

Again, no clue with Pit does this. I do think that Filppula could post better numbers than Kunitz depending upon his role and linemates, so maybe that's a reason.

Justin don't want the Kunitz.

I like flippula also haha.

Andddddddd this would force us to make another trade to be cap compliant

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd trade Kunitz for him.

Done. We don't need Kunitz but it would free up some money next year when we truly need it. Filppula would make Pittsburgh a better team for sure though. Not sure TB would want to take that risk if they had to play them again.

HC Jets

Jan 11, 2015
Am I the only one skeptical that the Yotes will have the room in their internal budget to pay Kucherov 7.5+ after they already made a big money signing in Goligoski. I know they bought out Vermette, but still...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad