Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] F Logan Cooley signs ELC with the Coyotes (3 years, $950k AAV)

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Regardless of whether or not he wants to specifically be in Arizona, this is still the much better decision.

It's not hard to get to your desired spot while still in your prime. Light it up for 3 years, sign a 2 or 3 year bridge, then if you feel as if you dont wanna be there long term and want UFA ASAP, tell them after that that you have no intention of signing long term into your UFA years during that final 1-2 years of RFA. The quicker you stop dragging your feet and get the clock started, the better for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Arizona was 27th in goals per game last year, what the heck are you talking about?
What's that got to do with solidifying the defense? They brought in a number of forwards and about to sign Cooley, but they really haven't upgraded the D since trading Chychrun and Gostisbehere.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seeing a log jam of sorts, could the Coyotes move a forward for defensive help?
I don't see who they'd realistically even trade. Lots of guys were just recently signed so I doubt they trade them.

Cooley, Guenther and others could also end up in the AHL

But man is that defense something else.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I don't see who they'd realistically even trade. Lots of guys were just recently signed so I doubt they trade them.

Cooley, Guenther and others could also end up in the AHL

But man is that defense something else.
Capfriendly has the total pay of D @ $7.6M. Still could see Dumba signing there, JJ Moser is underrated, Valimaki has stepped up, Durzi will be playing his natural position (as well as Moser).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Could have burned an ELC year had he made the decision to sign when his season ended.

Can't even recall an NCAA player opting to sign in the summer (who wasn't going to be one of those UFAs) when they easily could have signed in April and had the clout to get an ELC year burned.
His contract I'd assume is bonus laden up to 3 million or near whatever the max is so if he goes the wait and burn route he's leaving a lot of money on the table for the time being

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Nice way to add a top six forward. I think he would produce reasonably well in a featured role on that team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Could have burned an ELC year had he made the decision to sign when his season ended.

Can't even recall an NCAA player opting to sign in the summer (who wasn't going to be one of those UFAs) when they easily could have signed in April and had the clout to get an ELC year burned.

Since Cooley was a teenager, he would have needed to have played in 10 NHL games to have burned the first year. Minnesota made the NCAA championship game on April 8th, Arizona only had two games after that. Clayton Keller signed after his freshman year, played in three NHL games as a 19 year old but had the ELC slide since he didn't hit the GP threshold.

Somebody like Luke Hughes could burn a year without needing to play the 10 games because he was "20" as per the CBA definition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad