Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Only 3 teams in the Eastern Conference have less regulation wins than the Leafs; Ottawa, Columbus and Montreal

It's a miracle this team is somehow 3rd in Atlantic still.
They are about to drop fast now. Extended losing streak coming. They will be out of a playoff spot in 2 weeks. They likely finish bottom 5 in the league.

Well they are learning with Samsonov. We won't be seeing him.

A lot seems to be hinging on Woll. If he comes back and sparks a hot streak the feeling around them may flip the other way. Is that too much to expect?
Yes, too much to expect. The team is heavily flawed. Woll coming back won’t change a thing.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How do people talk about regulation wins and ignore regulation losses?

For some reason, the Leafs not being good at 3v3 OT is a knock against the Leafs even though it doesn't exist in the playoffs.

Teams with less regulation losses than the Leafs in the East:

1.) Boston

That's it. That's the list.
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

They obviously are underperforming and the back end has always been the issue.

Reactions: T REX

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

They obviously are underperforming and the back end has always been the issue.
Maybe? But when push comes to shove...unless one of their goalies goes GOD mode...it's just another post season disappointment.

Anything can happen. Totally. But I wouldn't bet $5 on them even getting out of the divisional rounds.

Possibly they make some moves. Shanahan doesn't seem to have "it".

Only MHO

Reactions: wetcoast

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Because regulation

Guess what? Playoff OT is 5 on 5 too

If a team cannot get it done in reg before garys circus clown show, how good can they be in the playoffs? Reg wins i sa good measure how good a team is

If a team had 5 reg wins and 15 OT wins and 5 losses, ya they would be 20-5, but everybody would say how bad they are that they had to win 15 in circus time
Too bad you don't talk about regulation time wins when talking about Canucks since they have the most regulation time wins in the league and rarely ever go to OT. So you are very selective when it comes to using stats 🤔

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
Since benching Tavares had no effect on his play can we switch him for Blayre Turnbull she is captain of another Toronto team I think.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Very interesting set of games coming up prior to the allstar break. They are going to need to very quickly find some pride and attention to detail to avoid an LA level tail spin. Next up is EDM, CGY, VAN, SEA, WPG, WPG. Excluding counting WPG twice, those teams combine for 40-7-3 over their last 10 games. CGY is the worst at 6-4-0, while the other four are hovering between red and white hot.

I think the Oilers are going to need to bring a high effort level from the start and solve the goaltending quickly. We've been generating a lot of chances but a few mid goalies have been battling into a rhythm and then rolling into big numbers against us. Toronto normally gets up well to play us, so if we show up to the game with anything resembling the EDM-CHI effort we take a big risk giving them too much momentum. Win or lose I would be happy with the Oilers maintaining their work rate and preparation, as those are the things that always elude us in the playoffs.

I'm sure there are some Leaf fans not looking forward to the next 13 days of hockey; however, if they manage to come out ahead I imagine that will be a big cause for optimism going forward.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Babcock went out in the first round to three damn good teams. 17 Caps, 18 Bruins, 19 Bruins. Mike gets fired.
Keefe proceeds to go out in the first round the next 3 play offs. To Blue Jackets Ha!, Habs lol , and Bolts.
Nobody even talked about firing Keefe
The Difference? Marner and the core like Sheldon, they didn't like Babcock.
I think Matthews and Marner have been running the team for the last several years.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Can you imagine if they miss the playoffs, the anarchy that would ensue? They've still got games in hand but they're checking over their shoulder now. Might have to revisit this thread in a couple weeks...
I don't see how missing the playoffs is possible with the offense that they have.

Woll will come back and their goaltending problems will be reduced.

Reactions: authentic

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The leafs are who we thought they were. I feel like it's hot tub time machine to 2018 when I watch. It's clear that they can't win a cup relying on these 4 players yet they pay them everything.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't see how missing the playoffs is possible with the offense that they have.

Woll has 30 NHL games experience and I have doubts he can handle a heavy workload

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I know the Wings had a lot of star power back when Shanny was on the team, but it was the depth and defensive play that was the biggest strength back then. It's weird that he's ignoring this when building a team.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
If I have to watch the four ballerinas from the Leafs laugh and joke around on the all star weekend while our of a playoff spot, I'm jumping on the Florida Panther bandwagon.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I know the Wings had a lot of star power back when Shanny was on the team, but it was the depth and defensive play that was the biggest strength back then. It's weird that he's ignoring this when building a team.
What surprises me the most is that Shanahan doesn't seem to realize how soft the core is, considering how tough and gritty he was as a player.

Shanahan would go into the trenches (in front of the net, into the corners, along the boards, etc.), something his Core 4 forwards don't enjoy doing.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Today they looked really fragile and indecisive. Maybe it had something to do with Samsonov in the net.
Honestly considering how bad Samsonov has been this year, this was basically a game 7 Stanley Cup performance on his end.

The leafs are who we thought they were. I feel like it's hot tub time machine to 2018 when I watch. It's clear that they can't win a cup relying on these 4 players yet they pay them everything.
I think ownership is fine with;
Massive amounts of cash from jersey/merch of the big 4
Playoff appearance
Outside chance they figure it out
What surprises me the most is that Shanahan doesn't seem to realize how soft the core is, considering how tough and gritty he was as a player.

Shanahan would go into the trenches (in front of the net, into the corners, along the boards, etc.), something his Core 4 forwards don't enjoy doing.
It's getting close to a decade of failure with this group. It has become more and more obvious you can't win with those 4 together, I guess they're just gonna try and get a D with Tavares' 11m coming off the books next year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly considering how bad Samsonov has been this year, this was basically a game 7 Stanley Cup performance on his end.

I think ownership is fine with;
Massive amounts of cash from jersey/merch of the big 4
Playoff appearance
Outside chance they figure it out

It's getting close to a decade of failure with this group. It has become more and more obvious you can't win with those 4 together, I guess they're just gonna try and get a D with Tavares' 11m coming off the books next year.
But that’s two playoffs away. Not too sure the club is a legit Cup contender with things as they are. The big four have NMCs so (I guess) waiting two more playoffs is what will happen.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
But that’s two playoffs away. Not too sure the club is a legit Cup contender with things as they are. The big four have NMCs so (I guess) waiting two more playoffs is what will happen.
That's the only thing us Leafs fans can hope for, many of us wanted one of the big 3 gone this summer, I personally said all of them should've been on the market and the one that got us the best return should've been traded as all 3 have failed in the playoffs.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's the only thing us Leafs fans can hope for, many of us wanted one of the big 3 gone this summer, I personally said all of them should've been on the market and the one that got us the best return should've been traded as all 3 have failed in the playoffs.
Yup. If change was to be made it had to happen before that July 1, 2023 date. Now change won’t come until July 1, 2025.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Woll has a high ankle sprain, they can take up to a year before player feels normal again. Several players have said that, including Crosby. Joey D’Accord on chicklet’s discuss it as well.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I feel bad for Brad. Must be hard to be puppet ruler and obey Shanahan. Leafs fans should just start a boycott until he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad